Daz Rendering character without background while keeping lighting intact

RVNSN

Drunken Pirate Skirtchaser
Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
And I just tried this in reverse, to render the background, and it left cutouts of the characters, so any parts of the scene in front of the characters that are being isolated need to be included with the characters/figures that are being rendered.

Which makes perfect sense, as it is using alpha.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Thank you for this thread, I appreciate idiot's guides. Saved this thread awhile ago and glad someone made a comment, because I never tried it and forgot about it. I think I know the answer to this, but with mickydoo's comment about using tiff instead of png, will that also happen with LPE? I've been doing spot renders and saving out as png, and I have to erase the edges of the spot renders because it does that.

Edit: also, with the method to render and catch shadows, does it render shadows from the non-rendered items?
As an idiot myself I love these too o/

Tiff, Png, Exr... Doesn't really matter, or maybe I don't get it. In the end what really matter is your color depth range (8/16/32bits?) if you really want to go that route. For a VN (lots of renders/overerall size concerns) I think 8bits (default Daz setting) is enough 99% of time (set crush black/burn highlight to 0 or near 0 to keep a bit of depth at 8bit). File format is not really concerning imho.

Not sure about the spot render edges, don't have this problem (show a screenshot o/). I generally lock the spot render to the same number of iterations used from the non-spot render one. A tip I learned a bit too late is using something like to monitor your log file in real time while you're in render session mode. Note also that any use of bloom filter can fuck badly your render spot too.

I'm in render queue and can't verify, but everything with matte attribute ON should catch shadows (despite Iray handles inclusion/exclusion). Toggling visibility Off (item doesn't exist), or removing Matte+Iray Handle (but still cacth shadows reflections if any I think) should exclude it.

Last edited:

RVNSN

Drunken Pirate Skirtchaser
Game Developer
Jan 17, 2019
As I go through adding spot renders to my current scene, I'll find one where the edge is very obvious and grab a screenshot to demonstrate the edge.

My experiment with this method yesterday unfortunately did not produce the desired results, the characters did not retain the same appearance as when using a spot render or full render, so I'll revisit this method of rendering without the background again in the future and play around with it. If nothing else, it would still be good to use as a clipping template to separate characters from background to use for layered images in ren'py to reduce overall file size.

Edit: side note, listening to version of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata in your sig right now (y) do you know of any royalty free sources for classical music?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
As I go through adding spot renders to my current scene, I'll find one where the edge is very obvious and grab a screenshot to demonstrate the edge.

My experiment with this method yesterday unfortunately did not produce the desired results, the characters did not retain the same appearance as when using a spot render or full render, so I'll revisit this method of rendering without the background again in the future and play around with it. If nothing else, it would still be good to use as a clipping template to separate characters from background to use for layered images in ren'py to reduce overall file size.

Edit: side note, listening to version of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata in your sig right now (y) do you know of any royalty free sources for classical music?
Man, that site is fucking broken holy fuck :s

If you can reproduce in somewhat vanilla setup and share your duf, should worth to look into it tho. Daz can be awfully tedious or buggy. But so far spot render aren't really a problem tho (far I know).

For classical music, aye I think I listen mostly to copywrited music tho.

function2020

May 20, 2020
Ok I think I got it, alpha make me scratch my head but this should work :unsure:.
Not sure about rendering time gain tho, you will tell lol.

1) First, select your figure on the scene pane, Select>Select Children. That way we sure we got all nodes from that figure (hair, cloth, eyebrows, genetal, earring and so on).

View attachment 1044652

2) Go to your Content Library pane, go to Script>Utilities>double click on "Create Advanced Iray Node Properties.dse"

View attachment 1044655

3) With still your figure/children selected, go on the Parameters pane, click "ALL", then search for "iray". In "Iray handle" put any name you want (I went for 111, so remplace 111 in my exemple with what you choose) and hit enter.

View attachment 1044657

4) Now on Render Settings pane / Advanced Tab : enable Canvases, click the "+" and choose "LPE" instead of "beauty".
Copy paste this in expr : E '111' .* L
Which gonna isolate our "111" Iray handle from the rest but not from light(s).

View attachment 1044667

5) Last but no least, in Render Settings pane / Editor Tab, go to Alpha, set Default Alpha LPE to "custom".
Copy paste this in Custom Alpha LPE : E ([^'111'] .*)? L?
Which mean somewhat everything that is not '111' Iray handle is now Alpha.

View attachment 1044676

This is the result of my exemple :

View attachment 1044760

View attachment 1044726
Hello, I'am facing a problem for canvas HDR background, no matter how I set up those parameters, the Canvas Beauty render still just shows black background (without check Alpha). I thought the HDR background shall be shown together, is it? What mistake I made?
canvas.jpg

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Hello, I'am facing a problem for canvas HDR background, no matter how I set up those parameters, the Canvas Beauty render still just shows black background (without check Alpha). I thought the HDR background shall be shown together, is it? What mistake I made?
You made none. If you have a node selected in your node lists, everything that is NOT node will either be black or alpha.

Far I remember you can't capture *just* a node/Iray handle AND the HDR background, even via LPE (because how HDR is implemented). I may be wrong, but I don't think it's possible. You can cook *not really academic* solution, but I think the fastest is to render HDR background apart and merge the 2.

function2020

May 20, 2020
You made none. If you have a node selected in your node lists, everything that is NOT node will either be black or alpha.

Far I remember you can't capture *just* a node/Iray handle AND the HDR background, even via LPE (because how HDR is implemented). I may be wrong, but I don't think it's possible. You can cook *not really academic* solution, but I think the fastest is to render HDR background apart and merge the 2.
Thanks!
This is out of my knowledge, what I want is to use the cup picture to make a motion blur separately, now seems I should render 3 pictures just for this? It is ridiculous.
I thought it is a Canvas Beauty Bug in DAZ 4.16 Pro, but don't know if old versions have the same problem. This is totally different as those Canvas tutorial videos, nobody said it needs 3 pictures to combine one.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Thanks!
This is out of my knowledge, what I want is to use the cup picture to make a motion blur separately, now seems I should render 3 pictures just for this? It is ridiculous.
I thought it is a Canvas Beauty Bug in DAZ 4.16 Pro, but don't know if old versions have the same problem. This is totally different as those Canvas tutorial videos, nobody said it needs 3 pictures to combine one.
All version of Daz should have the same problem. While you can 'capture' the light from the HDR itself via LPE, HDR image in Daz (and I think any 'environmental' image) has no real node/handle that Iray can use for compositing (that's why I think it can only renders full black or alpha once a node is selected). They should either pull a switch in the canvas, or develop some kind of real environment image node :unsure:.

Again I may be wrong, I havn't render seriously with Daz for quite some time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
What I meant was that the various canvases might have been implemented, under the hood, using LPEs - that LPEs might be be the low-level way of selecting what gets rendered, and that the canvases were implemented with "precompiled sets of LPEs." I don't know that for sure, of course, but there seems to be a fair amount of overlap between them, and if I was the programmer I'd have picked one underlying mechanism, even if I made various "convenience" results available by other methods.
Going back to Daz/Iray I think you're right tho (it shouldn't lol)