Ren'Py bug?

UAB Productions

Welcome to Vaniar
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
Lately, I've been trying to run my game, but for some reason unknown to me, now that I'm using a new computer, the videos in the game no longer play correctly. I only see a transparent screen, nothing more than that. Has anyone experienced the same issue?

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Could you show the code for the videos? Easiest possibility is that you hardcoded the video location (e.g. C:\renpy project\...\video.mp4)

UAB Productions

Welcome to Vaniar
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
Could you show the code for the videos? Easiest possibility is that you hardcoded the video location (e.g. C:\renpy project\...\video.mp4)
This is how I have the video code, I don't understand what's wrong, it used to work perfectly before.

1688077499547.png

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Since they are webm and you're using a new computer, could it be a question of codex ?

Edit:
You need to specify the path for each video. /videos/smth/name.format, or whatever folder structure you have.
Not necessarily. If the movie is directly in the "images" directory, Ren'Py will find it without need to specify the relative path.

UAB Productions

Welcome to Vaniar
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
Since they are webm and you're using a new computer, could it be a question of codex ?

Edit:

Not necessarily. If the movie is directly in the "images" directory, Ren'Py will find it without need to specify the relative path.
The codec is exactly the same, I think I'm going to try changing it multiple times, maybe that could be it.

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jan 27, 2017
did you update Ren'Py too? if so, always read the changelog.
your problem might be:

File Search Ren'Py will now only look for image files in game/images, rather than all files. To look for all files in game/images, use:
Code:
define config.search_prefixes += [ "images/" ]

UAB Productions

Welcome to Vaniar
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
did you update Ren'Py too? if so, always read the changelog.
your problem might be:

File Search Ren'Py will now only look for image files in game/images, rather than all files. To look for all files in game/images, use:
Code:
define config.search_prefixes += [ "images/" ]
Friend, thank you, thank you so much. I just solved that little problem. I really appreciate it.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
In 99% of cases no. Ren'Py is easy to learn and has all the bells and whistles for VN's in one easy package. Also Python on which Ren'Py is based is one of the easiest languages to learn. (Having tried to dabble and failed in a few others). Ren'Py is like Ikea furniture for VN's a flat package that is easy to assemble while Unity is a tree. Sure you can make a lot more things with a tree but it takes more work and is easier to screw up.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Ren'Py is like Ikea furniture for VN's a flat package that is easy to assemble while Unity is a tree. Sure you can make a lot more things with a tree but it takes more work and is easier to screw up.
That's very poetic. You should consider writing something, like a game script.
:LUL::giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: GNVE

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
some people forget about these two code for video the beginning image and end image
the code that you are using you can use these to get rid of the checker board background

image=None, and start_image=None,