Ren'Py Renpy Fullscreen Mouse Problem

Deviant Delights

A figment of your imagination
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2018
While developing my game I encountered an issue where the mouse cursor would disappear in full screen mode. While researching the issue I discovered many of the "popular" renpy games also seem to plagued by this issue. It's an easy enough fix, just define config.mouse in the options file, but I found it odd that so very little information regarding the problem could be found on these forums since it seems to be very prevalent.

That leads me to wonder, is this a problem with my computer config or do people just not play in full screen often enough to notice the issue?

Thoughts?

Here's the fix for those that may be searching. Just add it to your options file and replace the cursor path with your own and adjust the xy offset if necessary.

Code:
define config.mouse  = {
    "default":[ ("gui/cursor.png", 18, 18) ],
    "say":[ ("gui/cursor.png", 18, 8) ],
    "pause":[ ("gui/cursor.png", 18, 8) ],
    "gamemenu":[ ("gui/cursor.png", 18, 8) ],
    "prompt":[ ("gui/cursor.png", 18, 8) ],
    "with":[ ("gui/cursor.png", 18, 8) ],
    "menu":[ ("gui/cursor.png", 18, 8) ]    }

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
That leads me to wonder, is this a problem with my computer config or do people just not play in full screen often enough to notice the issue?
I never play in full screen, but some games force it from start, and I never encountered a problem with the mouse in this case. But well, the first thing I do in this case if go to the preferences and put it back in windowed mode.

Sep 22, 2018
I also have this problem. I wonder if it's an OS issue. When playing in windows 8.1 it disappears. When playing in windows 10 it doesn't. Another thing to consider as a possible culprit to this problem. The computer I have this problem with is a laptop which has its own touchpad and mouse nub which I don't utilize (I use a separate wireless mouse and keyboard) Ren'py games can get confused with multiple mice and touchpad set ups ultimately converting to a touchscreen interface which removes the mouse pointer from the screen. I find this annoying but simply expanding it to fill the screen instead of fullscreening is close to being the same size. Ah what I'll do to play me some ren'py.

Last edited:

thewingfan

Dec 22, 2018
My newer laptop just died so I pulled out an old one that is running on Windows 7. I have an issue where in Renpy the screen is very small and ca't be enlarged unless I choose the fullscreen option, but when I do, then the mouse is off I don't mean I can't see the cursor I mean I have to click well above or below the option I want to select it. Any idea how I can fix this?

Zwart

Jun 16, 2018
I also have this problem. I wonder if it's an OS issue. When playing in windows 8.1 it disappears. When playing in windows 10 it doesn't. Another thing to consider as a possible culprit to this problem. The computer I have this problem with is a laptop which has its own touchpad and mouse nub which I don't utilize (I use a separate wireless mouse and keyboard) Ren'py games can get confused with multiple mice and touchpad set ups ultimately converting to a touchscreen interface which removes the mouse pointer from the screen. I find this annoying but simply expanding it to fill the screen instead of fullscreening is close to being the same size. Ah what I'll do to play me some ren'py.
You're not able to disable the mouse nub, in BIOS or Windows?

Sep 22, 2018
You're not able to disable the mouse nub, in BIOS or Windows?
I found another way around it. When in fullscreen if you alt tab out of the game and then alt tab back in the mouse pointer returns on screen.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
That did not work. Ia also can't expand the Renpy Window for some reason.
It sounds like you are having a completely different problem altogether. I believe your screen resolution is too small for the Ren'py games you are trying to run. Most ren'py games run at a higher resolution of at least 1280x720 if your resolution is lower than that things won't react as they should.

Last edited: