Renpy Games - Auto Forward Time Slider in Menu - No Quick Menu in game to Activate?

ryankenn

Aug 14, 2018
There are quite a number of Renpy titles I like to play, but although the games have the Auto Forward Time slider in the preferences menu, in game there isn't the quick menu at the bottom to select "Auto".

Is there a shortcut key that does it, or a way to force the Quick Menu to appear?

Thanks!

MCRugerMasta

Apr 3, 2022
As far as I know, these are the only shortcuts in Renpy games by default:

The developer would've had to make a custom one to toggle auto-text. I'm pretty sure it would be the same for toggling the quick menu.

Adding a shortcut to toggle auto-text would be really easy though. If the games are still in development you can maybe ask the dev to add a shortcut for that.

Reactions: ryankenn

ryankenn

Aug 14, 2018
Thanks!

Is it just a default to always show that slider in Preferences? I thought I was going crazy because they all have that slider in the menu, but only maybe 50% have it selectable in game.

MCRugerMasta

Apr 3, 2022
Yeah, that's in Preferences by default. I guess devs don't like the look of the quick menu so they get rid of it without realizing that it makes it so you can't auto-forward text anymore.

Though after looking into it, I think you might be able to add a shortcut yourself. If you find the gui.rpy file and open it up, replace:
Python:
init python:
    gui.init(1920, 1080)
with:
Python:
init python:
    gui.init(1920, 1080)
    config.keymap['toggle_afm'].append("alt_K_PAGEUP")
to turn Alt+Pageup into an auto-forward toggle.

Reactions: LadyOfSpiders

ryankenn

Aug 14, 2018
I will try that, thanks!

**EDIT** What did you open the file with. Notepad++ and Wordpad both return garbles. I was opening Gui.rpa and there wasn't an rpy in "The Awakenings" game. I did find 00gui.rpy but no gui.init line to define size.

Last edited:

MCRugerMasta

Apr 3, 2022
The gui.rpy file should be in the 'game' folder. I was able to open gui.rpy files with Notepad++ and then the lines I was talking about should be near the top. If that's not how things look then, uh I'm not sure what you can do.

LadyOfSpiders

Mar 8, 2021
RenPy will load init statements from any rpy source it can find. You can put the key mapping in the separate file then name it whatever.rpy and drop to the "game" subfolder:

Python:
init 1 python:

Reactions: Fishstock

Fishstock

Sep 12, 2022
RenPy will load init statements from any rpy source it can find. You can put the key mapping in the separate file then name it whatever.rpy and drop to the "game" subfolder:

Python:
init 1 python:
Worked perfectly as other methods I tried went through the route of showing the Auto button but would either kill the screen view or just not work.

At least this will work by using the ALT PageUP