Ren'Py Ren'Py games crash after 1-2 mins

masonmizee

Aug 8, 2017
Title says it all after a couple mins my games will crash and if i didn't save there it all goes. The error that always pops up is "out of memory" which I don't understand how I could run out of memory I have 48GB of ram and the hardrive its on has 600GBs free. Any ideas on how to fix this?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Palanto

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Title says it all after a couple mins my games will crash and if i didn't save there it all goes. The error that always pops up is "out of memory" which I don't understand how I could run out of memory I have 48GB of ram and the hardrive its on has 600GBs free. Any ideas on how to fix this?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Does this happen with all Ren'py games or just one?

Reactions: Palanto

masonmizee

Aug 8, 2017
Does this happen with all Ren'py games or just one?
It was most games but they would crash at different times, I'm running Innocent Witches now which was by far the fastest crashes I ever had and the reason I made this post. The problem seems to have been solved, it was a render issue which was fixed with shift + g and selecting a different one.

Londo_Mollari

Respected User
Donor
Sep 7, 2017
I believe it's shift + g or ctrl +g. Then try a different renderer and see if that fixes it.

Edit: Try force opengl.
TCMS, my hero another time :love:
Was frustrating to not being able to play Fashion Business anymore ^^

Edit: Rejoiced too early. It helps at first ... but after some more fast forwarding through the game it starts to crash again :cry:

Last edited:

sl06

May 1, 2018
Hello,

Same thing with Maxs Life chapter 2.
I have 11Go of Free RAM so the lack of memory is not from here .

Is there another work around than the 2 I have found for out of memory errors when saving game in chapter 2 ?
1 : lower config.console_history_lines from 1000 to 100 in "Game directory\Renpy\Common\00Console.rpy"
=> I can go farther in game but error came back
2 : Use shift + g and force OpenGL renderer
=> I can save near the end of update 0.21 of the game, then error came back

When I launch the game it take 200Mo of RAM. Before applying solution 2 (game loaded) it take more than 900Mo. After solution 2 only 787Mo. When out of memory came back game take 914Mo. It's seems that error occurred when game memory consumption is upper than 900Mo.

Waiting 15 minutes on save screen, memory consumption fall from 1026Mo to 918Mo, then I can save, but it's not playable.

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jan 27, 2017
Hello,

Same thing with Maxs Life chapter 2.
I have 11Go of Free RAM so the lack of memory is not from here .

Is there another work around than the 2 I have found for out of memory errors when saving game in chapter 2 ?
1 : lower config.console_history_lines from 1000 to 100 in "Game directory\Renpy\Common\00Console.rpy"
=> I can go farther in game but error came back
2 : Use shift + g and force OpenGL renderer
=> I can save near the end of update 0.21 of the game, then error came back

When I launch the game it take 200Mo of RAM. Before applying solution 2 (game loaded) it take more than 900Mo. After solution 2 only 787Mo. When out of memory came back game take 914Mo. It's seems that error occurred when game memory consumption is upper than 900Mo.

Waiting 15 minutes on save screen, memory consumption fall from 1026Mo to 918Mo, then I can save, but it's not playable.
if your game uses Ren'Py 7.3.0, tell the dev to upgrade because in this version image preloading is broken and the image cache isn't cleaned at all. at some point you simply run out of memory.
another problem might be a too high defined image_cache_size configuration variable.

Reactions: Winterfire

sl06

May 1, 2018
You guys are mixing up RAM with VRAM.
I don't think so, I have 16Go of RAM and 4Go of VRAM on my GTX960. All value in my post are from Window task manager and it show RAM usage only.
if your game uses Ren'Py 7.3.0
From log and about, it's Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
another problem might be a too high defined image_cache_size configuration variable.
Searching all .rpy files I found only one occurence in renpy\common\00compat.rpy
Code:
config.image_cache_size = 16
Is 16 a too high value ? renpy documentation doesn't give exemple

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I don't think so, I have 16Go of RAM and 4Go of VRAM on my GTX960. All value in my post are from Window task manager and it show RAM usage only.

From log and about, it's Ren'Py 7.0.0.196

Searching all .rpy files I found only one occurence in renpy\common\00compat.rpy
Code:
config.image_cache_size = 16
Is 16 a too high value ? renpy documentation doesn't give exemple
Textures (images) use VRAM, however, you should not run out of memory as both of those are pretty high.
Are you using a laptop? They tend to have an integrated gpu so you have to often set it as default when running an application or select it.

config.image_cache_size should be left untouched, assuming 16 was its default value, you should leave it as it is or set it back as it originally was. Making it higher is fine but if you make it lower than it needs to be, you'll break the game.

sl06

May 1, 2018
It's not a laptop and the motherboard doesn't have an integrated GPU.
I play full 3D realtime games (the witcher, assassin creed...) in top high graphism level without matter.