[R>Programmer] Unpaid Ren'py language support in Intellij platform

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
Hello, I am a developer, and it has been a great challenge to use Atom as a development platform for ren'py, there are serious limitations in Atom, which ends up making the work more time consuming.

Despite the plugin that supports the language, some things don't work very well, search, shortcuts in general are very unproductive.

I've always used IDE's from Intellij and they are really fantastic, and with that in mind I started to develop a language plugin, started the project and will continue with the time, if someone is interested in helping.

The project is Open Source and can be found at this link:

At the moment I'm testing it in the pycharm community, it still doesn't have many hightlights but I hope to be able to produce something from time to time.

The plugin will be found in the plugin store within the IDE in a few days, but you can download the zip and use it too.

are instructions on how to install the plugin manually

TDoddery

Apr 28, 2020
Can you explain how this is supposed to improve Atom and what you mean by Atom's limitations ?. 'cause I have found Atom to be perfectly adequate.

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
Can you explain how this is supposed to improve Atom and what you mean by Atom's limitations ?. 'cause I have found Atom to be perfectly adequate.
Of course,

PyCharm has some features that Atom doesn't have, or even does, but it doesn't work very well;

Local edit history

Versioning code with renpy is very complex, since everything is about images, if you have editing a file and close the tab, you lose all your editing history, that gets in the way of your development.

Code execution natively.

Often I need to build logic in python in renpy, and I can't debug code in atom, not with the same objectivity as pycharm or any other jetbrains tool, so I always develop with atom and open pycham, because I always need to see if my python code is working properly. In addition, you can explore other executions, such as shell script, which I use a lot to generate the variables I use in renpy for example.

Syntax and auto complete verification more complete.

In general, renpy's syntax is simple, but often the mapping of these functions helps a lot in development, for example, ide does not clearly show the rule for each type of element for example. which can be used with label, or define. this is quite rich in pycharm, of course when it is ready.

Generally speaking, there are several good points that pycharm has, but you will only see the real difference when using jetbrains tools to develop something.

Enerccio

Dec 25, 2018
Atom is not that good. PyCharm is way more powerful and it would be great if we could also use the debugger to debug renpy games. I had debugging part done but I lack ide to work with

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
Is this still alive?

More less, I confess that I managed to configure some code styles in pycharm, I followed with that.

1659066440170.png

I have something simple to complete the code, colors that I like, this has been enough for me. I stopped using atom months ago

• Red Heart
Reactions: Cyberjacky

dEE79

Oct 24, 2018
1662099264542.png
I tried to install the plugins to the current PyCharm version (PyCharm Professional 2022.2.1) but raise this error.
I check on the github source, and it said that the latest update is 2 years ago, except for the build.gradle file (from branch "master", "main", and tags "v1.0.2-beta")

I hope the development still continues, and new updates would committed soon...
Thx!

Reactions: Cyberjacky