Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Save Editor

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Sorry, but it don't works.

In my first try I get these "x" and "y", two pages of them :

saveeditor.png

In my second try, none of the saved variables are seen : saveeditor1.png
Side to side, the save file view by my variable viewer mod, and view by your program. My mod works by using the list where ren'py store the variables that are saved. So these variables are in the save file, despite what your program say. Plus, there's also the (filtered by the mod) variables used by the mod itself, and they aren't seen either by your program.

Worse case, it return absurd values :
saveeditor2.png
I "opened" the dm.reelena_med to show you the problem. All the 'dm' thing are objects with saved values inside them, and all are displayed by your program as integers. Plus, there's 89 variables in this save file and your program only show 29 of them ; including the ones related to the sole save file itself.
The game is if you want to see by yourself.

I don't know what you think ren'py's save files are, but it's clearly not what they really are. Take a look at the 'pickle' module of Python, that's what ren'py use to generate the save files and what your program must undo to display the real content of the said save files.

Last Moment

Modder
May 26, 2017
Sorry, but it don't works.

In my first try I get these "x" and "y", two pages of them :

View attachment 32965

In my second try, none of the saved variables are seen : View attachment 32969
Side to side, the save file view by my variable viewer mod, and view by your program. My mod works by using the list where ren'py store the variables that are saved. So these variables are in the save file, despite what your program say. Plus, there's also the (filtered by the mod) variables used by the mod itself, and they aren't seen either by your program.

Worse case, it return absurd values :
View attachment 32970
I "opened" the dm.reelena_med to show you the problem. All the 'dm' thing are objects with saved values inside them, and all are displayed by your program as integers. Plus, there's 89 variables in this save file and your program only show 29 of them ; including the ones related to the sole save file itself.
The game is if you want to see by yourself.

I don't know what you think ren'py's save files are, but it's clearly not what they really are. Take a look at the 'pickle' module of Python, that's what ren'py use to generate the save files and what your program must undo to display the real content of the said save files.
Thanks alot for your great test, i know about the pickle module but i tested with many games such as "Four Element Trainer", "Lovely Guests" and more and it worked.

I will check with the game you mentioned, and will post the updates.

Thanks again :)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Thanks again :)
No problem.
To be sure, you can use the little tool I posted . It will give you the list of all the variables actually saved by Ren'py. So, save the game, use the tool just after that, and look at what your program show. If at least one is missing, then there's still something wrong.

Last Moment

Modder
May 26, 2017
So, any word on this? I'd kinda like to try it out.
Try this updated version , I'm still working on more updates but this one is stable and displays all the integers (common in most games) correctly

ashw

Mar 13, 2017
tried downloading the f95zone file since the mega file is gone. It got flagged and removed by my anti-virus software.

Last Moment

Modder
May 26, 2017
tried downloading the f95zone file since the mega file is gone. It got flagged and removed by my anti-virus software.
Its too old thread, Please the updated version
Also its false about the antivirus. try the updated version.

2018-01-08_11-17-09.png

Tomiko

Aug 3, 2017
Saveeditonline.com edits renpy. unfortunately it's edits are limited in the "free" version and the extended version is only available for patreon.

Reactions: Twistty

Last Moment

Modder
May 26, 2017
Saveeditonline.com edits renpy. unfortunately it's edits are limited in the "free" version and the extended version is only available for patreon.
Try the updated version of my Ren'Py Save Editor Tool

Re-4Andrew

Aug 4, 2017
Maybe not the thread to ask, but where are the saves from Ren Py games getting stored at in a Windows 10 system?

I have a folder simply called 'GAMES' on the desktop, any and all games I get from F95 go into that, of course each game has its own folder (example) SummerTime Saga, LongLiveThePrincess, and so on...

When I delete out all the files and move the latest update into those folders, load up the game, any saves from the previous version still show up. I've done a number of different things to move the game folders to separate them from the 'GAME' folder, moving (IE) LongLiveThePrincess directly on the desktop, into Documents, Pictures, (you get the idea). ANd the previous saves still show up after loading the game. (Sorry for the lengthy post)

I'm guessing the saves are buried somewhere in the system folders, I do have some experience nosing around with these files. But with Win 10 I have little, tho nothing has really changed from XP, just X86, and the 64bit folders.

I think the some Ren Py game are getting bugged from having these saves, and with some of these games you cannot use any saves when a updated version is released, no real good reason why from the dev, and from playing other game platforms it always comes down to the game simply undergoing change after change.

fzdc

Jul 25, 2017
Maybe not the thread to ask, but where are the saves from Ren Py games getting stored at in a Windows 10 system?

I have a folder simply called 'GAMES' on the desktop, any and all games I get from F95 go into that, of course each game has its own folder (example) SummerTime Saga, LongLiveThePrincess, and so on...

When I delete out all the files and move the latest update into those folders, load up the game, any saves from the previous version still show up. I've done a number of different things to move the game folders to separate them from the 'GAME' folder, moving (IE) LongLiveThePrincess directly on the desktop, into Documents, Pictures, (you get the idea). ANd the previous saves still show up after loading the game. (Sorry for the lengthy post)

I'm guessing the saves are buried somewhere in the system folders, I do have some experience nosing around with these files. But with Win 10 I have little, tho nothing has really changed from XP, just X86, and the 64bit folders.

I think the some Ren Py game are getting bugged from having these saves, and with some of these games you cannot use any saves when a updated version is released, no real good reason why from the dev, and from playing other game platforms it always comes down to the game simply undergoing change after change.
it's usually in %appdata%\RenPy

PorkiDrifter

Aug 20, 2021
Save editor nowdays is giving problems with some games it pop that created on a different device maliciosly constructed save files can harm and after you press yes it doenst do anything can somehow change?

Reactions: wrarar