• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tool Ren'Py Renpy save file backup script V1.0

peacecraft

Jul 13, 2018
Hi all,

I could not find an backup tool for my save games, well not any to my likings... so i wrote my own hehe
this script copies the save game files from every game and puts it in a named folder per game

i have all my games in one main folder (think most of you do) so it scans folder by folder for the /game/saves dir en copies its contents to a new location
this new location has the same name as the game folder it came from, so its easy to find and recover

i posted it on github feel free to use and share and stuff
ask questions below, glad to help

link:

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Looks good for other engines, like RPGM MV (VX is tricky, iirc, because sometimes the saves are in the game root, sometimes in a subfolder. But I could be mistaken).

As for Ren'py though, I'd just backup %APPDATA%\RenPy: all the saves are there, already sorted by game, and there is also the "persistent" folder (data shared by multiple games).

Reactions: peacecraft

peacecraft

Jul 13, 2018
Cool! i never knew! haha

Nevertheless for me its usefull because i switch between OS allot so i have one script for all systems

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Do you mean, like multi-booting? If you have a partition visible to all your operative systems, you could replace the %appdata%\renpy folder with a symlink pointing to a folder in that partition. This way all your games would be, like, synchronized and you would have to backup just one folder.
On Linux the save folder is ~/.renpy/, ~/Library/RenPy/ on OS X.

Again, your idea is cool for MV and other game engines.

peacecraft

Jul 13, 2018
Do you mean, like multi-booting? If you have a partition visible to all your operative systems, you could replace the %appdata%\renpy folder with a symlink pointing to a folder in that partition. This way all your games would be, like, synchronized and you would have to backup just one folder.
On Linux the save folder is ~/.renpy/, ~/Library/RenPy/ on OS X.

Again, your idea is cool for MV and other game engines.
No really multiple system separate.
i use github to sync my saves from that folder
and personally i like it more that my saves are in an folder with the same name as the game,
so i can reference it quickly to see what version of the game I played (or not), thefiles in %appdata% are less obvious

but again thats personal and why i wrote the script, just wanted to share for who ever sees usage in it
will look into adding a script for the other engines tho (i mostly play Ren'py)

Last edited: