Ren'Py Ren'Py Text and screen auto advance together after a pause

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
I would like to have a scene appear for a short time with the associated text, then shift to another scene with rest of the text without having to click or anything. Sort of a cheap two frame animation of scene and text

Scene 1

pause

Person "I know....."

scene 2

pause

Person "I know....I just wish we had more time"

so that it looks like they just added the rest of the sentence when they turned their head type of thing. I know how to pause/dissolve the scenes but not how to integrate the text to match.
Any help, including "can't be done" is appreciated

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I would like to have a scene appear for a short time with the associated text, then shift to another scene with rest of the text without having to click or anything.
What you are looking for is a combination between the and text tags, with the help of the pseudo-sayer.

The first tag induce a pause, while the second make Ren'Py automatically pass to the next interaction (here a dialog line). Then the pseudo-sayer will automatically extend the previous dialog line.
Python:
label whatever:
    "Wait two seconds{w=2.0}{nw}"
    extend "before the whole sentence is displayed."
And obviously you can have whatever you want in between the two dialog lines, as long as it don't create an interaction ; therefore no called screen or input, but everything else is fine.

Reactions: HogRocket

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
What you are looking for is a combination between the and text tags, with the help of the pseudo-sayer.

The first tag induce a pause, while the second make Ren'Py automatically pass to the next interaction (here a dialog line). Then the pseudo-sayer will automatically extend the previous dialog line.
Python:
label whatever:
    "Wait two seconds{w=2.0}{nw}"
    extend "before the whole sentence is displayed."
And obviously you can have whatever you want in between the two dialog lines, as long as it don't create an interaction ; therefore no called screen or input, but everything else is fine.
Thanks! I'll look at those and give them a try.