Ren'Py Renpy to android

Rohit.2021

Nov 7, 2021
Well I recently converted a renpy game to android (through renpy launcher) but the game crash after the Renpy logo in my s7......where did I go wrong and how to resolve it..??
Also the apk showing Renpy logo...
Can anybody help.....??

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Erm... you're a little light on detail there.

So a couple of starter questions:

Have you installed other people's RenPy APK based games on your S7... and do they work okay? (extra points of a list of a few games that worked okay).

Have you tried tried converting a different game to run on your S7, or is this the first game you've tried? (extra points if you've tried converting a game yourself that is already known to work on your S7). (double extra points for a list).

What game did you try to convert?

My suggestion is to pick a game you already know works on your S7 and then try converting it yourself. It may offer some insights as to whether it's an S7 problem or a problem with your conversion approach.

Reactions: Rohit.2021

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It may offer some insights as to whether it's an S7 problem or a problem with your conversion approach.
Or a compatibility issue, since not all Ren'Py functionalities can works on Android.
Unlike passing from Windows to Linux, that is just a format conversion, passing from whatever architecture to Android is a real portage. It need that you take care of the original code and possibly adapt it to what is possible on Android.

Reactions: Rohit.2021

Rohit.2021

Nov 7, 2021
Erm... you're a little light on detail there.

So a couple of starter questions:

Have you installed other people's RenPy APK based games on your S7... and do they work okay? (extra points of a list of a few games that worked okay).

Have you tried tried converting a different game to run on your S7, or is this the first game you've tried? (extra points if you've tried converting a game yourself that is already known to work on your S7). (double extra points for a list).

What game did you try to convert?

My suggestion is to pick a game you already know works on your S7 and then try converting it yourself. It may offer some insights as to whether it's an S7 problem or a problem with your conversion approach.
Thanks for the reply....
Firstly I tried to convert #Amnesia but it crach as I try to run the game (after renpy logo) then I try my luck with Price of Power [Chapter 7] [Pandaman Games] still same thing happen...but the moded version of price of power run on my s7/one plus8T smoothly plus other moded (moded by other) renpy games....
As a first year cs student I only know a little bit python... Java... android dev...can I port the game without renpy launcher...but if renpy is the simplest and fastest way...then where did I go wrong...do I need to some other things too..??

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Okay. To summarize:

You tried to convert Amnesia [Super Alex], which is 5.91 GB.
Then you tried to convert Price of Power [Pandaman Games], which is 2.86 GB.

Neither worked. Both crashing as they start up, just after displaying the RenPy logo.

There is a modded version of Price of Power, which works fine on your Samsung Galaxy S7. It has already been compressed and is 274.4 MB instead of 2.86 GB. From what I can find online, the S7 could be running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or Android 8.0 (Oreo).

You have played "other" RenPy games on your S7 - but it sounds like they are the usual mix of "Unofficial RenPy Port" versions available here on F95.

Firstly, let me say I don't do android conversions nor anything to do with Android. I'm just working through the problem, trying to narrow down the unknowns. Though I have seen a lot of people posting about android problems here on the forums.

My first guess is that your version of these games are too big to run on your S7. Most android "ports" are also compressed too. People use tools like Cruncher to massively reduce the size of the game before doing the android build. Cruncher works by compressing all the images/video/audio to a lower quality format. It is a DESTRUCTIVE process, as the new files completely REPLACE the older (larger) files... So take a copy of the game before running Cruncher on it. But if you are happy to try it, backup the game, run cruncher and then do the android build. The resulting .apk should be a lot smaller and hopefully will work.

My second guess is that the Android build process is generating an error or serious warning which you haven't noticed. From what I understand, RenPy uses a few 3rd party tools to build android games and the process is dependent on everything working. I would imagine there are is at least one (probably more) log files generated as the build process runs. I would be checking those.

You could try converting an already smaller game like Say It Again [Gaerax] (picked at random), which is only 606.1 MB. That might be a good test of whether your build process is working and it's just a size problem.

A small note... I assume you're download the game and unpacking it somewhere and then copying the /game/ folder to your RenPy projects folder (or at least you should be). Make sure you delete the file script_version.txt from the project, which shouldn't be there in the "developing" folder. I had it cause issues before when (re)building games using different RenPy versions.

There are other common problems with android ports (usually the gradle size options). But that's probably enough for the moment.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Also the apk showing Renpy logo...
79flavors gave you a lot of tips on how to avoid the crash.

To make the APK show a custom logo, you need to provide two Android-specific files. describes what you have to provide - the icons intended for Windows and Mac use don't work on Android. Basically, RTFM.