Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Web - Force Enable Console & Developer Menu

DTaway

Dec 3, 2017
Hi folks,

I used tampermonkey for this, but there are other alternatives available which I'm sure you can use.

TamperMonkey:

The script can be copied in by clicking the tampermonkey extension icon and 'Create a new script'.

Comments in the script explain how it works and what you need to know. Copy paste the below script into your new tampermonkey script and then click File -> Save.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT INTERESTS:
1. Get this working on chrome. Chrome has a limited stack size issue that seems to revolve around the FS (file system) JS object. Any command sent to it seems to be recorded in some stack somewhere which Chrome doesn't seem to clear correctly. As such we cannot spam file creation commands without filling this stack and the game crashing.
2. Enhanced garbage collection. Possibly related to the above - the longer you play the game the slower it gets, likely due to retaining previously loaded resources. Currently exporting saves, reloading the page and importing saves (as per the instructions in version_2) speeds the game back up to a certain extent. Initial investigations into this have also revealed that each save file retains a log file of every action and command fired during the entire game. Loading and updating this log file as its size increases may be whats causing the slowdown or at least contributing somewhat.

Last edited:

gamcore

Aug 29, 2018
Hello, Interesting, what will happen if will include this script as "additional-script.js" into pages with renpy games?
What games have you tested working with this script?

DTaway

Dec 3, 2017
Hello, Interesting, what will happen if will include this script as "additional-script.js" into pages with renpy games?
What games have you tested working with this script?
If you have source access this script is immediately overkill for what its trying to achieve. The easiest thing to do would be to repackage renpy games with rpy files which enable the console and dev mode at the earliest and latest stages of game intiialization. During Renpy Webs unpacking these would then be included and mean no file spam is required.

If you did include this script I would assume it would function without any major issues. It might demand arguably more resources from browsers than is perhaps acceptable to some people but the latest version stops as quickly as it possibly can. I would advise against serving this script to Chrome users for reasons expanded upon in the above post. I developed this use with Firefox for the msot part.

As requested I've tested this on the following games listed on gamcore...
1. MilfyCity: Doesn't load. Seems to be broken in general but may be related to the script? Doesn't load regardless of off or on.
2. Dungeon Slaves: Functioning As Designed
3. WVM: Functioning As Designed
4. Sex Note: Functioning As Designed
5. Where The Heart Is [Ep. 22]: Functioning As Designed
6. Dreams of Desire: Functioning As Designed (Ignoring known error at start of game)
7. Foot of the Mountain: Functioning As Designed
8. Confined With Goddesses: Functioning As Designed
9. University of Problems: Functioning As Designed
10. Summertime Saga: Doesn't seem to work. Very strange. I can see the files are there but it looks like a script has checked and forcibly disabled the console. I'd have to look at the source to confirm whats happening but I suspect a python thread which disables the console and dev mode when it finds it enabled.

8/10 games perform as expected.

I just went to Ren'Py games and listed by popularity. I confirmed games would launch and initially start but I didn't spend any major length of time playing any of these. I can confirm Long Live the Princess and a number of other games are functional long into the plot though I can't recall them as of this moment. I have yet to find a game where this has worked that has failed to load and/or play through with errors.