Requiring tips about outsourcing work and art consistency.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Hello Everybody.

I'm currently working on my very first game. which is a Ren'Py Visual Novel using 2D art.

I'm terrible at drawing so I decided that the best solution for me was to focus on writing / coding while outsourcing all the art to some real artists.

But there is one thing that scares me which is art consistency and long-term commitment.

If there is one thing I would really like to avoid it's to have an hired artist dropping my project which means I would need to hire another artist, making me lose time in the process and having to potentially deal with the fact it will be very hard or impossible to get the same artstyle.

I know that this kind of situation will be always not fully unavoidable, but I would like to know if some devs thought about that and which precautions they did take to minimize that risk.

Thanks.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Just pay them enough. Thats it really.

If your paying an artist reasonable for the art they are making, they are much less likely to drop you.

Revenue share from the beginning doesn't really work. I cannot think of any game that started out as a team with Revenue share, that actually got to a first release. Most games where the artist leaves is because of lack of compensation, and feeling undervalued.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
Just pay them enough. Thats it really.

If your paying an artist reasonable for the art they are making, they are much less likely to drop you.

Revenue share from the beginning doesn't really work. I cannot think of any game that started out as a team with Revenue share, that actually got to a first release. Most games where the artist leaves is because of lack of compensation, and feeling undervalued.
I indeed plan to pay each artwork individually at the artist's price rate.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
You are most likely fine then with the artist sticking with you. The only advice I can give you is to not push the artist. Art takes time to make, and as long as you pay per artwork, I would just let the artist do its work in his own pace. Even if it takes a bit longer to start your game. Payment is often more then enough motivation for the artist to work as fast as he can.

That said I hope you release how expensive art can get. Especially 2D art can become very expensive very quickly. Just look at some people who do commissions; 50 dollars for a single portrait is the lowest, rising up to several 100's for a full scene with multiple people, objects, etc.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
You are most likely fine then with the artist sticking with you. The only advice I can give you is to not push the artist. Art takes time to make, and as long as you pay per artwork, I would just let the artist do its work in his own pace. Even if it takes a bit longer to start your game. Payment is often more then enough motivation for the artist to work as fast as he can.

That said I hope you release how expensive art can get. Especially 2D art can become very expensive very quickly. Just look at some people who do commissions; 50 dollars for a single portrait is the lowest, rising up to several 100's for a full scene with multiple people, objects, etc.
Indeed, making a 2D game require a huge amount of art and is pretty expensive. Each scene require me around 200 dollars but that's money I'm willing to spend.

I decided to split the work to avoid putting the whole workload on the same shoulders since it's not a problem to have different styles for very different assets like background compared to characters sprites.

But I was thinking also about other tips regarding long-term communication.

For now I was thinking about something like :

- Take someone that is quick to react / reply.
- Must have a relatively good English speaking level.
- Always try a first cheaper commission to see how it goes before going on a long term commitment.

IDK if people have other advices.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
- Take someone that is quick to react / reply.
- Must have a relatively good English speaking level.
- Always try a first cheaper commission to see how it goes before going on a long term commitment.
Thats pretty much it. Since money doesn't seem a problem I would just add find somebody with a big portfolio. It often means they are more professional then new artists. Costs a bit more.

And make sure before you start the artist is fine with what your making. I doubt that will be a problem if you try to recruit from this site, but outside of here not every Artist is fine with making stuff for Adult content, even if they are only making the backgrounds.

But honestly speaking if your paying an Artist its much less likely they will drop you out of the blue. The rest doesn't matter much. A continues money stream is rather rare for most artist.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I know that this kind of situation will be always not fully unavoidable, but I would like to know if some devs thought about that and which precautions they did take to minimize that risk.
I don't know where you live, but this kind of situation is fully avoidable in all countries that have laws regarding employment ; so it don't really apply in the USA.
You establish a contract between you and the artist, and then neither him, nor you, can break it without consequences. What will protect you, since he have the legal obligation to provide what he was hired for, and to do it as long as specified in the contract. And it will also protect him, since you have the obligation to pay for his works, and to do is as long as specified in the contract.
Cherry on the cake, since he have a contract, and therefore have a guaranteed income for a long time, the artist will probably be more involved and do a better job.

XforU

Of Horingar
Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
I'd look for someone who has a decent portfolio but isn't super famous and doesn't have much work.
For one they will most likely take the job more seriously and won't have other projects in the works while working with you.
If you get them early they will most likely stick with you for a longer period.
Though if they have an actual job it will take them more time to finish a piece...
On the thirsty artist reddit board there are tons of replies when someone is seeking an artist and some of them have a decent portfolio with lower prices because they are just starting out.
Good luck with your game.