Ren'Py Reverse engineering animations and opening pngs in Summer time Saga

Sockeltz

May 2, 2019
I really like the animations Kompas has done recently in Summer Time Saga. Especially the ones with Roxxy. They aren't simple ATL transforms like they used in the earlier scenes the animations undulate and loop pretty seamlessly. I want to use something similar in my own game. Does anyone know how they do it? I de-compiled the game to try and find out but none of the pngs will open. Are they looping the images really well or is it like a webm playing in the background?

Thanks for any help.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
They aren't simple ATL transforms like they used in the earlier scenes the animations undulate and loop pretty seamlessly.
It's the custom displayable AnimatedImage defined in "scripts/core/images.rpy". Basically it's just ATL but done dynamically, probably to avoid the writing of the transform block.
But if you want to do the same, be smart and just do it in pure Ren'py :

Python:
define animSpeed = 0.2

screen sexAnim( base, images ):

default frame = 0
    default actualFrame = base.format( images[frame] )

timer animSpeed repeat True action [ If( frame > len( images ) - 2, SetScreenVariable( "frame", 0 ), SetScreenVariable( "frame", frame + 1 ) ), SetScreenVariable( "actualFrame", base.format( images[frame] ) ) ]

add actualFrame

label spin_bottle_minigame_roxxy_solo_intro_after:
    show screen sexAnim( "characters/roxxy/char_roxxy_sex_solo_{}.png", [ "07", "08", "09", "10", "11", "12", "13", "14", "15", "16" ] )
    pause
    hide screen sexAnim
    return
It will do exactly the same thing but, like I said, in pure Ren'py, so it's way better and should benefit of Ren'py's prediction feature, which isn't the case of their custom displayable. Plus you don't need to define the images like they did ("scripts/defines/images/images.rpy":6001 and following) ; in fact, even with their custom displayable it was useless to define the images.

I de-compiled the game to try and find out but none of the pngs will open.
Ren'py don't care of the file extension, all the images are probably WebP instead of png.

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
How to develop characters in game like Summer time saga... please help me for making and starting new game
Probably deserves its own thread but are you asking about the art work or the story development? The artwork you will need to find an artist, of course.