Ren'Py Right Click Menu Randomly Appearing?

jonquilnatrix

Feb 27, 2024
I've been having this issue for a while now, where sometimes when quickly clicking through a Renpy game with left clicks, the right click screen (usually the save menu) will randomly come up. Mouse is nowhere near the bottom of the screen where any buttons are (in fact this often results in accidental saves because 2 consecutive clicks caused the menu to pop up and a save square to be selected). And it's totally random as to when it happens, sometimes it won't happen at all playing a game other times it will be every couple clicks (as long as they are done quickly in succession), or other times dozens of clicks before it happens. Windows 11, and it's happened playing a ton of different renpy games. I have no idea why or if there is anything than can be done as it is rather annoying? I don't think it's the mouse as I never have the right click action trigger with a left click in any non-renpy games/programs? Any thoughts?

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
I've been having this issue for a while now, where sometimes when quickly clicking through a Renpy game with left clicks, the right click screen (usually the save menu) will randomly come up. Mouse is nowhere near the bottom of the screen where any buttons are (in fact this often results in accidental saves because 2 consecutive clicks caused the menu to pop up and a save square to be selected). And it's totally random as to when it happens, sometimes it won't happen at all playing a game other times it will be every couple clicks (as long as they are done quickly in succession), or other times dozens of clicks before it happens. Windows 11, and it's happened playing a ton of different renpy games. I have no idea why or if there is anything than can be done as it is rather annoying? I don't think it's the mouse as I never have the right click action trigger with a left click in any non-renpy games/programs? Any thoughts?
Are you not able to click through the Ren'PY game with just your spacebar as the main 'action' key to progress through scenes? If it is doable for you, then I would recommend just clicking your space bar instead of using your left-click function on your mouse to progress through the scenes if these issues keep persisting.

My initial thought was somehow the left-click action trigger was somehow prompting the right-click action trigger to occur (i.e., hence why the save game menu was being pulled up). But you did mention that it was not an issue with your mouse in that sense, so we have that ruled out.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] (in fact this often results in accidental saves because 2 consecutive clicks caused the menu to pop up and a save square to be selected).
Are you sure about the "2 consecutive" ?

Back in time, when one button Apple mouses where something, many drivers had the possibility to simulate a right click through a triple click on left button ; because it would be the only button on those mouses. And, from memory, still nowadays there's application dedicated on accessibility that follow this logic for people who can only use one button (physical or virtual) for whatever reason.

Anyway, unless it was redefined specifically by the game, Ren'Py do not react to double click, so it's something that come from your computer, not from the games.