NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
Anyway, I'll be back when there's more available kinkyshit. But, I'll keep it on watch until the meantime. Please make sure to put basic kink content in whatever update logs you do (y)
You got it!

I am mostly stuck at 3.5. Time to hit the new rulebooks, I guess.
I quite like the newer editions, it's simpler which is not always a good thing, but it is quite fun.

sabadongelov

Aug 21, 2018
Yes! We're going to do our best to give as must agency to the player as we can. We just need to be careful not to make the game to wide. Otherwise, we would be working for weeks to add just a little bit of content for every route and the game progression would slow down.
That's really the needle that has to be threaded. Do to little, and players will feel that it won't matter what they do, the game decide for them and the story is already set. Do to much, and you risk getting bogged down in so many paths that you can't finish the game and people loose interest due to very slow updates (for each path).

Every dev who strive for player agency must make that consideration, weighing what they want to accomplish against what resources they have at their disposal.

However, I think you have some things really working for you in this regard. Namely:
  1. Creating a sense of agency by allowing for choises/expression based on personality traits.
  2. Story mainly text driven, with some 2d art.
So, why is this so good for relative "cheap" player agency?

Well, the biggest sink in time is branching paths that diverge completely from each other. For instance, a game with three completely branching paths early on will require as much effort as three visual novels without branching paths, and within each path there is still no guarantee that the player will feel agency, because just one choice in the beginning will not create a feeling of agency throughout the rest of the game even if that choice was monumental.

Diverging paths must therefore be used very carefully and, I would suggest, never fully. Ie, certain choises can at most lead to a temporary divergence, but sooner or later, the game should weave itself back to the main story.

How ever, letting the player play the MC differently through speach and actions that only affect a small sub set of the main story, is a lot easier to do. And will still probably be experienced as more agency by most than the monumental diverging path choices that you only get to do once or twice.

And as most story telling in your game, including the sex, is in text form, it's a lot easier to take into account the different play styles. So, for instances, say that you have a sex scene made up of descriptive text and two 2d pictures. As long as these pictures are done in the right way, the text going with the sex scene can change from romanticly sweet love making to rough and dominant fucking. Thereby you can, with the same investment for artwork, give two scenes that will feel very differently and, more importantly, will feel as if they are responding to how the player has played Catherine. If the player has chosen the bubbly, kind and romantic actions/answers to get to the sexscene, the player gets the romantic description. If the player has chosen the arrogant, aggressive and dominating actions/answers to get to the sexscene, the player gets the rough-fuck description. Both players will feel that the game responds to their way of playing Catherine, without a huge investment from your part.

That said, I still think there should that actions should be able to lead to completely different outcomes. For instance, in order to have sex with character A, Catherine needs to be sweet, but in order to have sex with character B, Catherine needs to be an asshole. But there doesn't need to be a ton of that, if what I'm decscribing above is done well (and I'm also not suggesting that there should only be a differentiation between sweet/asshole, that's an simplification to make my explanation less of a gotdamn novel than it already is...).

So, what I'm saying, is that I think the way you set up your game probably will give you a good opportunity to create a great feeling of player agency without having to sink in a ton of resources in the game or make it so that a player playing through the game just once (which I think is what you can expect from the majority of players) will miss a ton of content due to branching paths and so on.

Last edited:

Cormac

May 18, 2017
After the futa scene, there is just two icons in my screen, on from the mc house and one from the tavern. Where should I go next? I don't see any other options :c

Mar 13, 2019
No, it is not. And thinking of it, I'm pretty sure it's the only sex scene in the game that is not optional. I should really get to making it optional! At some point, we want to implement a filter to completely skip any kink you might not want to see, but that is still only in the plans for now.
If you do not want players to be exposed to kinks they may no like, but you need the scene in the game for story purposes, maybe do keep it there, but add an option to have Catherine deal with the situation off-screen (and be more angry about it).
It is not an universal solution, but it would allow you to quickly deal with this very scene without rewriting too much story and code.

Reactions: NecroBunnyStudios

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
After the futa scene, there is just two icons in my screen, on from the mc house and one from the tavern. Where should I go next? I don't see any other options :c
The futa scene is the last scene in the current chapter.

If you do not want players to be exposed to kinks they may no like, but you need the scene in the game for story purposes, maybe do keep it there, but add an option to have Catherine deal with the situation off-screen (and be more angry about it).
It is not an universal solution, but it would allow you to quickly deal with this very scene without rewriting too much story and code.
Thank you for the suggestion! That is an interesting solution, we will keep it in mind as we go forward.

Mar 13, 2019
The is really nice, but is it just my screen or is her head bit smaller than it should be?
I mean, compared to her older sprite or the Yda preview the proportions and the alignment of head and body seem somewhat off to me. I could be totally wrong, though.

RHFlash

Apr 4, 2018
The is really nice, but is it just my screen or is her head bit smaller than it should be?
I mean, compared to her older sprite or the Yda preview the proportions and the alignment of head and body seem somewhat off to me. I could be totally wrong, though.
I think it's just that her massive tiddies are making her head seem a little smaller

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
Hey hey, artist here! :3
First of all, thank you! I had a lot of fun making that outfit, so I'm glad you liked it. <3
And about the proportions, I did make her head a tiny bit smaller in the new sprite, but that's because I've always thought her head was kiiiinda too big (maybe it was fitting, cause she's very smart?). And I also added some EXTRA THICCNESS in there, so maybe that adds up. But I ran some proportion tests, and compared her closely to Yda (her shoulders are only a bit smaller than Cat's), and to me it looks ok? I'll do a double check tomorrow when I'm not extremely sleepy, but whatever the results are, thank you for your feedback! :3

Dixen Chix

May 13, 2019
Game looks really good so far! I am in love with the art style and storytelling. My only suggestion is to give characters different colored text to further distinguish who's talking. I know the names are already there, but when scenes seem to read quick, it can get a bit muddled as to who is saying what in the moment. Varying text colors would help provide a bit more clarity. Even if you don't make the whole text a separate color, and just make the name text a different color would help immensely. Thank you for making such a great chapter otherwise!

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
Game looks really good so far! I am in love with the art style and storytelling. My only suggestion is to give characters different colored text to further distinguish who's talking. I know the names are already there, but when scenes seem to read quick, it can get a bit muddled as to who is saying what in the moment. Varying text colors would help provide a bit more clarity. Even if you don't make the whole text a separate color, and just make the name text a different color would help immensely. Thank you for making such a great chapter otherwise!
Awww, thank you so much! We're really glad to hear that you enjoyed the game.
And, that is a really good suggestion. We actually considered doing that when we were just starting developing the game but forgot about it somewhere along the way. We'll add colors to both the names and the texts and keep it as an option in the preferences menu. That way every player can choose how they want their text to look like.

EDIT: Talked to the artist and she is afraid the text might not look good with color, but she is going to do some testing to see if she can find a way color code the text and make it fit nicely with the rest of the UI.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dixen Chix
Mar 13, 2019
Hey hey, artist here! :3
First of all, thank you! I had a lot of fun making that outfit, so I'm glad you liked it. <3
And about the proportions, I did make her head a tiny bit smaller in the new sprite, but that's because I've always thought her head was kiiiinda too big (maybe it was fitting, cause she's very smart?). And I also added some EXTRA THICCNESS in there, so maybe that adds up. But I ran some proportion tests, and compared her closely to Yda (her shoulders are only a bit smaller than Cat's), and to me it looks ok? I'll do a double check tomorrow when I'm not extremely sleepy, but whatever the results are, thank you for your feedback! :3
struck me as a more athletic character, probably because of the tentacle thing. Catherine not as much since she probably spent the last few years learning spells and being tied in Kyos closet.
I did a very quick (and very inaccurate) check on the old and new naked Catherine sprites and the numbers are similar. Much closer than how I perceived the difference at first.
You said it yourself - you are the artist here ;)

• Love

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
Looking at the ... for whatever reason I thought Catherine was the older of the two.
I've actually heard that before! But, I don't know why people think Eleanor is younger, she served the Imperial Guard for years and has all the scars to show for it. :LOL:

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
I've actually heard that before! But, I don't know why people think Eleanor is younger, she served the Imperial Guard for years and has all the scars to show for it. :LOL:
Blame all those animu gurls who have somehow managed to accumulate an extensive career and senior position while still in their teens :U

Mar 13, 2019
Maybe its her personal quest, her starting housing conditions, her reaction to certain situations ... I cant say she is too old for any of that, but to me she did feel bit younger. Its a bit surprising to me, but its fine.

Blame all those animu gurls who have somehow managed to accumulate an extensive career and senior position while still in their teens :U
Many of the soldiers fighting and dying in the world wars were in their early 20s. Joan of Arc was 19 when she died.

I was picturing Eleanor younger than Catherine. Since Catherine is 24, that would make Eleanor about 22. If she joined the army when she was 18, she could have served for 4 years.
Both figures are pretty much in line with current real world numbers too - 24 is perfectly fine for masters degree graduate, whereas the US military (they are the easiest to google) requires enlistees 2-5 years of active service depending on job and branch.

• Love
4.60 star(s) 64 Votes