RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
Many of the soldiers fighting and dying in the world wars were in their early 20s.
No shit because conscript mass armies and young men are both the physically best suited for war and, put bluntly, most expendable for their communities as they have always been. The age patterns were (and are)... quite different on the leadership level though.

And historically as a rule unless men (women generally need not apply, though there were exceptions) were at least aristocracy all of them were the effective equivalents of buck privates at best. Quite a few warlike cultures started fielding men in diverse support and light combat roles already in their early-mid teens, but with very rare exceptions only began considering them as worthy of note and real respect many years later. Hell some considered slaying a foeman in battle the minimum requirement for being considered an adult - as you might imagine in such contexts becoming noteworthy took a whole lot more...

Plus, unless you were benefiting from family largesse achieving the kind of wealth needed to support a senior warrior never mind leadership position took a fair while. And indeed the reason for most men in premodern societies marrying fairly late was similar - developing the kind of career and income (or inheriting the farm, etc.) needed to support a family and duly be actually taken seriously as a suitor didn't happen overnight, a pattern still very noticeable among eg. career officers in the late 1800s.

Joan of Arc was 19 when she died.
Jeanne was also about as gigantic an exception to almost every norm of her day as you could find, and neither a fighter nor commander herself anyway. She was essentially a living standard, an inspiring rallying point, and her importance came from having been able to convince the people who mattered (ie. the King and sundry) of her usefulness, and in practice a major reason she got a hearing in the first place was the French (or more accurately, ) strategic situation was desperate enough that Charles VII was willing to try just about anything.

You'd make a better case with say Edward of Wales, the Black Prince, who commanded the English right wing at Crécy aged sixteen, but then *he* was royalty so...

Mar 13, 2019
No shit because conscript mass armies and young men are both the physically best suited for war and, put bluntly, most expendable for their communities as they have always been. The age patterns were (and are)... quite different on the leadership level though.
Some actually managed a lot despite their young age, for example there were pilots who became fighter aces while teenagers.
During peacetime soldiers tend to be older and even the world war soldiers in movies tend to be portrayed older than they usually were.
I admit I did not pay much attention to the leadership part, because the character in question (Eleanor) does not strike me as a leader person (not being protagonist does that). Sorry.

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
Some actually managed a lot despite their young age, for example there were pilots who became fighter aces while teenagers.
Pilots are the air-force equivalent of buck private grunts so same diff. Again, average age goes up noticeably with pay grade.

During peacetime soldiers tend to be older and even the world war soldiers in movies tend to be portrayed older than they usually were.
Well yeah there's less both turnover (read: dead and maimed men in need of replacing) and demand for personnel in peacetime. Modern militaries can be ballooned quite dramatically when necessary; case in point being during the World Wars when the UK and US had to switch over from small peacetime professional forces used mainly for colonial policing to conscript mass armies needed to wage general Great Power wars; this naturally also required commensurate hasty expansion of the officer corps to fill all the new low to middle tier posts which naturally drove average ages (and, arguably and sometimes quite explicitly, *standards*) down.

The senior levels nevertheless remained filled with older long-service regulars already for the very good reason that managing large forces is not something learned overnight. This was painfully illustrated in the Red Army after Stalin's great purges when junior officers had to be hastily promoted to replace all the guys who'd been shot or Gulag'd, and were still trying to get their bearings when Ze Germanz kicked in the entire western border. (Quite a few jailed officers duly got pardoned because Motherland suddenly needed commanders who knew the trade rather more than a few more menial prison laborers; Rokossovsky, often reckoned the Soviets' top wartime combined-arms commander, is probably the most famous example.)

As for movies, well. Can't really help the average big-name actor being kind of way the fuck older than the typical about-twenty wartime trooper. Like those hilariously bad Counts As vehicle prop makeovers (seeing as there aren't exactly many genuine working Tigers or Panthers or old warplanes lying around) that's just something the audience needs to tacitly agree to ignore.

Mar 13, 2019
Pilots are the air-force equivalent of buck private grunts so same diff. Again, average age goes up noticeably with pay grade.
Back then, they were. Then again, planes were way cheaper back then - I am not sure modern air forces would let someone that young anywhere near their multi-million jets :)
IIRC the local military pilots are required to have at least bachelors degree prior moving to advanced trainer aircraft.

As for movies, well. Can't really help the average big-name actor being kind of way the fuck older than the typical about-twenty wartime trooper. Like those hilariously bad Counts As vehicle prop makeovers (seeing as there aren't exactly many genuine working Tigers or Panthers or old warplanes lying around) that's just something the audience needs to tacitly agree to ignore.
Exactly.
At least the CGIs are getting better (which is double-edged).

RNDM

Engaged Member
Mar 10, 2018
Back then, they were. Then again, planes were way cheaper back then - I am not sure modern air forces would let someone that young anywhere near their multi-million jets :)
IIRC the local military pilots are required to have at least bachelors degree prior moving to advanced trainer aircraft.
That'd be the USAF I'm guessing. Conscript/reservist systems like ours (Finland, if you're curious) do it differently and just take their pick from the teens-to-twenties yearly conscript intake (there's usually no shortage of volunteers tho, often lads aiming for a future civil aviation career, and the force can afford to be picky) - though as with other highly technical branches given the amount of sheer training investement involved the maximum-length service term is obligatory.

Exactly.
At least the CGIs are getting better (which is double-edged).
IIRC Battle of the Bulge is downright infamous for (among other things - this being the movie Eisenhower himself basically called unhistorical BS...) M5 Stuarts done up to pass for Tigers... yeah. Personally I not too long ago saw the '66 vintage which used what looked like surplus M24 Chaffees with kibble for Panthers, confusingly also used in the part where the occupation forces lay siege to the main police station early in the general uprising - IRL old trophy French light infantry tanks fought there, and the filmmakers seem to have had a few running examples of those at hand anyway (loaned from museums like Saumur I'd assume) as they appear in later scenes fighting the 2éme BD.

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
fsdhfbafbsklaj RNDM
Since the topic was raised I will just add my two cents on the matter as some of you might find it interesting.

I didn't actually look at modern militaries for anything other than ranks, as making my own or using older ones would just confuse everyone and force me to needlessly explain everything. I also did not look at medieval armies as they were mostly conscription-based and that just did not fit the situation of the Empire.

The Empire's geopolitical situation forces it to have a standing professional army ready to deal with any threats at a moment's notice. So, my main inspiration for that comes from the Roman army, post-Marian reforms to be exact. While the tactics cannot be copied as they are not realistic for a medieval setting with magic and monsters, much of the logistic side of things fit the bill. As such, being a soldier in the Empire is a career even for the lowest of grunts, a soldier would serve in the army for at the very least 16 years, after which they are still expected to serve 4 more years in a special veterans unit whose job is to train new recruits and act as advisors for the lords commanding the army. After that 20 years service period, a soldier can choose to leave the army or continue serving it until they reach the age of 50 years old at which time they would be forced to retire.

Now, the Imperial Guard is loosely based on modern police forces, especially the Brazilian Military Police. The Guard's main task is to deal with crime but it doubles as a militia that protects its city and countryside from monsters, it also serves as a recruiting pool for the army, as having been a guardsman is a requirement to join the army. The minimum age to join the guard is 16 years old and the minimum service time is 4 years, after which the guardsman can take the tests to try and join the army or continue serving on the Guard.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Mar 13, 2019
looks good, but could you maybe somehow highlight the selected item? I dont know how much work it would take and whether it would be worth the time, though.

Also, armour and spellbook? Is that tiefling paladin? Back in my days tieflings had charisma penalty ... makes me feel old :)

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
looks good, but could you maybe somehow highlight the selected item? I dont know how much work it would take and whether it would be worth the time, though.
Yes! Banshee(the artist) simply forgot to make a graphic for that. I already told her to make a graphic for selecting the items, and I'll be adding it as soon as it is ready.

Also, armour and spellbook? Is that tiefling paladin?
Well, she is actually a lawmage. But, technically speaking, she is a cleric.

Back in my days tieflings had charisma penalty ... makes me feel old :)
And, I know how you feel. But don't worry, just relax and embrace our new big tittied tiefling overlords. :devilish:

Reactions: fsdhfbafbsklaj
Mar 13, 2019
Well, she is actually a lawmage. But, technically speaking, she is a cleric.
Thanks. I think its because other settings that I forget dnd clerics do use armour.

And, I know how you feel. But don't worry, just relax and embrace our new big tittied tiefling overlords. :devilish:
At last some things did not change over the years :love:
The first tiefling I encountered in video game was Annah-of-the-Shadows and she permanently set the bar for what I expect of the race.

Last edited:
Reactions: NecroBunnyStudios

kekusik7

Jan 9, 2019
When you open the game? Hmm... It probably doesn't have permission to access the save file location, try running the game as administrator.
Ive tried. Its was okay for the first time, but when i was playing my electricity crashed, and now i cant use menu. What is the location of saves?

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
Ive tried. Its was okay for the first time, but when i was playing my electricity crashed, and now i cant use menu. What is the location of saves?
The save files will be in the default save location of your computer, followed by \Necro Bunny Studios\Rise of the White Flower
If you're on windows that would be:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.60 star(s) 64 Votes