rpdl.net discussion & questions (torrents)

pedrohuya

Sep 19, 2017
First of all, thank you for your work. I'm in europe, but other services like NOPY not allways work well and your torrents saves me a lot of time.

One question: why not make the torrent unzipped? It makes a little bit smaller the file, but you have to extract it. So you need double the space and wait for the extraction. I personally don't seed much, I prefer to remove the zip file to save space. If the files are extracted, I think people would seed more (I will). And, as you know, more seeders mean less resources from your side.

It could be another great advantage for your service.

In any case thank you again for your torrents.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
First of all, thank you for your work. I'm in europe, but other services like NOPY not allways work well and your torrents saves me a lot of time.

One question: why not make the torrent unzipped? It makes a little bit smaller the file, but you have to extract it. So you need double the space and wait for the extraction. I personally don't seed much, I prefer to remove the zip file to save space. If the files are extracted, I think people would seed more (I will). And, as you know, more seeders mean less resources from your side.

It could be another great advantage for your service.

In any case thank you again for your torrents.
Hello - sorry for the delay, things have been a bit busy the last few days.

Unfortunately I can't offer them unzipped. I've had issues in the past on my servers with exhaustion. Sorry I don't have better news for you on that.
Thanks for the kind words too.

In other news, we passed 105tb uploaded today, that's just for this month so far too. I'm guessing it'll hover somewhere around 120tb. It might seem like a lot but it's roughly, 3% of what nopy serves monthly so minuscule in comparison lol.
393 torrents, clocking in at 817gb per node.

I predict it to grow quite a bit, there's a huge boom in traffic when i ask mods to add torrent links to the OP of a thread so I save it only for large torrents, or when filehosts are having issues. I'm undecided on whether i should archive ALL Ren'Py games too, we'll see I guess!

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I've hit 400 active torrents! Here's the lucky game, unfortunately I don't have a prize to hand out lol.

I should explain also because i've only 250 posts. Before i started posting torrents publicly I built up an archive, mainly by sorting by most popular, best reviewed etc. Then once that was done, I felt like bumping 2-300 threads would be a bit much. The full list is . If there's something important I missed please let me know, storage is cheap :)

I wasn't planning on making this post so might aswell lump this in also. I updated our network plans . My initial plan was structured more around a traditional filehost rather than for torrents so a change was needed.

Last edited:

speakersbox

Aug 21, 2021
Reposting this from the RPDL subreddit, bc this thread is more active:

Thanks for setting up RPDL, seems like a really great resource. I've had a bit of trouble with the two games that I downloaded so far and I was wondering what might be up. The two games were 'Being a DIK' and 'Clara's Love Hotel' (on a mac btw) -- trying to open Being a DIK threw an error message saying that the file was corrupted/broken, and Clara's Love Hotel would start to bounce in the dock, but almost immediately quit (no window appeared or anything). Could there be an issue with the way these games are packaged, or is it something I might have done/not done?

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Reposting this from the RPDL subreddit, bc this thread is more active:

Thanks for setting up RPDL, seems like a really great resource. I've had a bit of trouble with the two games that I downloaded so far and I was wondering what might be up. The two games were 'Being a DIK' and 'Clara's Love Hotel' (on a mac btw) -- trying to open Being a DIK threw an error message saying that the file was corrupted/broken, and Clara's Love Hotel would start to bounce in the dock, but almost immediately quit (no window appeared or anything). Could there be an issue with the way these games are packaged, or is it something I might have done/not done?
Yeah - my apologies, I really only check the subreddit every other week.

Are you trying both of these on MacOS?

If so can you try these two things:

1. Open terminal and try CD;ing into the unzipped folder and then executing the .sh file like so ./BeingaDIK.sh

If that doesn't work, here's a longer version:
(I'm using UnlimitedPleasure as it just happens to be one I have downloaded, swap the name for the one you're using)

cd UnlimitedPleasure.app/Contents/Resource
ln -s ../../../lib lib
mkdir -p autorun
cd autorun
ln -s ../../../../game game
ln -s ../../../../renpy renpy
ln -s ../../../../UnlimitedPleasure.py UnlimitedPleasure.py
ln -s ../../../../UnlimitedPleasure.sh UnlimitedPleasure.sh

The culprit might lay also, i think there's been a bug with my packaging - please keep me posted!

edit; It's a little past 1am here at the moment but tomorrow I'll spin up a MacOS virtual machine and test, then once fixed i'll create two new packages for you (or give you the commands to fix it), whichever is easier for you.

Last edited:

speakersbox

Aug 21, 2021
Yeah - my apologies, I really only check the subreddit every other week.

Are you trying both of these on MacOS?

If so can you try these two things:

1. Open terminal and try CD;ing into the unzipped folder and then executing the .sh file like so ./BeingaDIK.sh

If that doesn't work, here's a longer version:
(I'm using UnlimitedPleasure as it just happens to be one I have downloaded, swap the name for the one you're using)

cd UnlimitedPleasure.app/Contents/Resource
ln -s ../../../lib lib
mkdir -p autorun
cd autorun
ln -s ../../../../game game
ln -s ../../../../renpy renpy
ln -s ../../../../UnlimitedPleasure.py UnlimitedPleasure.py
ln -s ../../../../UnlimitedPleasure.sh UnlimitedPleasure.sh

The culprit might lay also, i think there's been a bug with my packaging - please keep me posted!

edit; It's a little past 1am here at the moment but tomorrow I'll spin up a MacOS virtual machine and test, then once fixed i'll create two new packages for you (or give you the commands to fix it), whichever is easier for you.
Thanks for getting back so soon -- this didn't seem to do the trick for me (at least for the Being A DIK file I downloaded through rpdl). The first suggestion kept throwing seemingly endless permissions requests (that typically show up when trying to run renpy games) and the second didn't seem to have an effect. But let me know if you do figure anything out or if you need me to try something out on my end (and thanks for doing all this)!

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Thanks for getting back so soon -- this didn't seem to do the trick for me (at least for the Being A DIK file I downloaded through rpdl). The first suggestion kept throwing seemingly endless permissions requests (that typically show up when trying to run renpy games) and the second didn't seem to have an effect. But let me know if you do figure anything out or if you need me to try something out on my end (and thanks for doing all this)!
There's a workaround here. From reading back through the thread it looks like this is affecting a lot of people.

I hope to have my own workaround in place also tonight, i'll keep you posted!

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Quick post with my first full monthly roundup:

Server 1 (1 Gbit/s OVH network): 86.45 TiB
Server 2 (1 Gbit/s Leaseweb network): 60.45 TiB

I predicted ~120tb but with the large release of game updates the last few days (and nopy issues) we shot quite a bit past it which is nuts.
Nopy.to does ~16pb a month so we're uh, a bit under 1% of their traffic but that's not only f95zone material. Either way, it shows the utter behemoth that is nopy and how tiny this is in comparison. With that said though, this is growing extremely fast. Also of note, this is only traffic from my servers and doesn't include traffic exchanged between other peers.

I built the site around the start of September and spent the first few weeks building the archive so the traffic for the first month was around ~5tb. I'm going to aim for 180tb of traffic for November.

417 active torrents, clocking in at 861gb. The most popular torrent is Reunion which shifted almost 10tb by itself. That's approximately 6,000 snatches!

For the site itself, I moved it entirely to . It's uninteresting but it does make constant deployment that bit easier. As of now there's been 325 commits to the site too, an average of about 6-8 updates per day.

Midway through the month I made some changes to how torrents were made and incorporated better. Now the amount of pieces scales up and down by the size of the release, as it should have been from the start. Initially all torrents used 256kb pieces which is ridiculously small for larger torrents. The torrent file for games +10gb in size ends up bearing nearly half a megabyte large which is stupid - it's fixed now anyway.

One thing I have noted is that while Europe is currently pretty well served, speeds to America especially are strained. I do actively need to add new servers to the pool to better service more areas. My current setup will also hit their bandwidth limits relatively soon, probably by the end of December.
I changed around recently to adjust to this. I do think Bittorrent is the way forward and with the proper infrastructure in place, we could quite literally, seed ALL content uploaded here. I'm slowly expanding my catalogue too, adding new games every day. Eventually we'll cover all Ren'Py games - hopefully by Christmas.

I added a node in Sydney and quickly ran into Fair-Usage-Policy issues. The TL;DR is that the service I was using just wasn't prepared to deal with the bandwidth I was using so I closed it down. I hope to replace it with something better before the end of the year.

There is one issue and that's that there appears to be an issue with releases working on MacOS currently, one that I'm trying to find a solution for still. When I do, I won't update my entire catalogue but instead re-package games specifically for people if requested. Obviously, all new releases afterwards will be fixed by default. I hope to have more news on that by tomorrow, unfortunately I ran into issues booting up a VM with Catalina tonight.

I think that's everything?

All things considered, hell yeah - I'm getting super positive feedback and things are going great - looking forward to growing more and more!

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
Hello rpdl

I asked if I could could contact you concerning seedboxes here - but it seem like you like to limit your DM's.
(I can override that - but respect your wishes!)

Currently I have 2 seedboxes - Rapidseedbox Furious and Pulsedmedia Mushu.

However I have huge bandwidth at home - 1GB down and about 30Mbps up (Not shared - dedicated) - just wondering if it is more reasonable to set up my own server - again. Been a very long time since I have done that - 10+ years?

I was a Mod and ISO Hunt and KAT (yes I'm THAT old -lol)- but things have changed over the years - so am a bit outdated?

I seed most (if not all Superelmo's torrents - and do not wish any interruptions)

Ideas???

Thanks and Cheers

Last edited:

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Hello rpdl

I asked if I could could contact you concerning seedboxes here - but it seem like you like to limit your DM's.
(I can override that - but respect your wishes!)

Currently I have 2 seedboxes - Rapidseedbox Furious and Pulsedmedia Mushu.

However I have huge bandwidth at home - 1GB down and about 30Mbps up - just wondering if it is more reasonable to set up my own server - again. Been a very long time since I have done that - 10+ years?

I was a Mod and ISO Hunt and KAT (yes I'm THAT old -lol)- but things have changed over the years - so am a bit outdated?

I seed most (if not all Superelmo's torrents - and do not wish any interruptions)

Ideas???

Thanks and Cheers
I thought my DM's were open, it should be fixed now!

It depends on a few things really. If you want to get back in the game of running your own server I'd whole-heartedly recommend that first. Whether that's a small server at your house or renting a dedicated server, you'll always get better bang for your buck when you remove the middle-man.

and are all in one installers that are good places to start.
If you want to be more hands on, is great and gives you more freedom.

I personally just use on Ubuntu - then I just tune the .rtorrent.rc and a few sysctl tweaks and leave her at it. You can use other clients like which is more aggressive when seeding but it tends to have issues when you get up near 1,000 active torrents.

If you're happy with managed slots with a company then yeah, it's a mixed bag really. I've always gotten the best results from seedhost/ultraseedbox and whatbox especially. Whatbox have exemplary customer support, they're delightful to deal with and Seedhost is just blistering fast. You probably could get more value by shopping around, but at the same time if you're happy with where you are - why hassle yourself :)

Also hell yeah, oldschoolers! I tend to keep myself to only private-trackers for the last ~10 years so doing public torrents was a bit outside of my comfort zone. Something you're obviously very practiced in lol. In all honesty though, no, you're not really outdated at all. The tech around seedboxes hasn't changed all that much. Sure there are NVME drives now and faster ports, but the underlying tech is all the same and bittorrent hasn't changed at all.

What you could do, and it'd be cheap is pick up a and attach an external hard drive while you mess around with it and see if it's something you want to continue with. If you don't, it's only 30-40 quid but if you do - who knows, you might have your own server running at home!

• Red Heart
Reactions: Twistty

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
I'll PM - you in a bit - if that is ok?
(A day or two - need a refresh my memory).

Seems like you have been around for a while also - lmfao :LOL:

Hope you are ok, if I override you initial permissions?

Thanks and Cheers

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
I'll PM - you in a bit - if that is ok?
Seems like you have been around for a while also - lmfao :LOL:

Hope you are ok if I override you initial permissions?

Thanks and Cheers
Sure thing, feel free!

Reactions: Twistty

Naitogādian

Staying Mysterious
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
So do you also suffer from the terrible disease of data hoarding? or do you just like pushing it around?

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
So do you also suffer from the terrible disease of data hoarding? or do you just like pushing it around?
Yes to both, am a homelabber. My datahoarding has gotten better the last few years though - promise!
Pushing it around is definitely more fun IMO.

Leina

Nov 1, 2017
Hey, just wanted to give you a big thanks! I was able to get a game in 15 minutes vs the 3+ hours it would take with a mirror.

Question for you: I was trying to do my part to contribute by seeding for a bit with what my meager upload allows, but I noticed the tracker status saying "Error: banned by IP filter" which seems... weird?

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
Hey, just wanted to give you a big thanks! I was able to get a game in 15 minutes vs the 3+ hours it would take with a mirror.

Question for you: I was trying to do my part to contribute by seeding for a bit with what my meager upload allows, but I noticed the tracker status saying "Error: banned by IP filter" which seems... weird?
huh, that's odd. is the tracker "tracker.leech.ie" ?

Also don't worry about seeding, that's my job :)

Leina

Nov 1, 2017
huh, that's odd. is the tracker "tracker.leech.ie" ?

Also don't worry about seeding, that's my job :)
Tracker is displayed as "leech.ie". It just seemed like a weird thing to happen and a weird error message to get. But if you've got the seeding covered, I won't worry about it until I try another of your torrents and find out if I've actually been banned or it's just a weird message.

Thanks again!