Seeking RPG/strategy games with water mages/magic (including non-ero)

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Not a fetish, rather a thematic preference. Games that:

1. Allow specialization of the MC in water magic (doesn't have to be 100% exclusive, but should be something you can invest points into or gear for).

or

2. Have other PCs that are water mages or water elementals or somesuch.

Can be ero or non-ero. Examples for 1. include Age of Wonders, Pathfinder:Kingmaker, and World of Warcraft (yes, frost is fine too).

I'm making a list of games I know of, hopefully there's more.

Divinity: Original Sin (I'll have to look into the sequel)
Age of Wonders series
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
World of Warcraft
Thea 2: The Shattering, kinda
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Guild Wars 2, or so I read
Star Knightess Aura
Heroes of Might & Magic series
Terraria
A Valley Without Wind series
Torchlight 2
Diablo 2
Dominions series
TES: Skyrim

Last edited:
Reactions: ElderScroll6

test011

Jan 10, 2018
Damn thats a pretty specific preference.
What comes to mind are classic HoMM tittles that have both water elementals and water magic. Probably some old RPGs and dungeon crawlers allow you to spec into water magic, roguelikes like Tales of Maj'Eyal where you can even dive underwater with proper gear.
Also Noita, fun little game that allows you to toy with pixel physics. You can for eg. find spells that create large pools of water on a whim or that modify your projectiles so that they leave water trail, its quite random unless you install mods that allow you to pre-select your "specialization"

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Wizard Climber I guess has water mage builds.
You can try searching for other games with magic or fantasy.
Maybe magic academy or trainer style games with magic.

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Damn thats a pretty specific preference.
What comes to mind are classic HoMM tittles that have both water elementals and water magic. Probably some old RPGs and dungeon crawlers allow you to spec into water magic, roguelikes like Tales of Maj'Eyal where you can even dive underwater with proper gear.
Also Noita, fun little game that allows you to toy with pixel physics. You can for eg. find spells that create large pools of water on a whim or that modify your projectiles so that they leave water trail, its quite random unless you install mods that allow you to pre-select your "specialization"

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks, but I am looking for games that allow you to specialize in a way that sets the player character(s) apart from other players/character builds. I have ToME and sadly there's no dedicated water class although there is an unlockable frost/ice skill tree iirc. I'm making a list of games I know of, hopefully there's more.

Divinity: Original Sin (I'll have to look into the sequel)
Age of Wonders series
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
World of Warcraft
Thea 2: The Shattering, kinda
Tales of Maj'Eyal
Guild Wars 2, or so I read
Heroes of Might & Magic series

Last edited:

test011

Jan 10, 2018
Kinda wanted to suggest Thea 2 too but in the end didnt because it doesn't really have that much water magic in it.

Anyway i got another suggestion, how it escaped my mind at first is beyond me as it is one of my favorite game series.
"Dominions" series or Dominions 5 to be more specific, the amount of stuff you can do there is simply astonishing. The game is quite complex mind you and not easy to get into, and most of fun comes from multiplayer, but once you get into it oh boy its really fun.
Thousands of items, enchantments, magic paths and spell schools (one of with is water magic). You can for example, summon water elemental as units or even commanders, forge items that allow your whole armies to walk under water. Cast powerful spells that submerge whole battlefields under water etc...

If you want to check out just some of the things you can pull off in that game see the wiki ->

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Kinda wanted to suggest Thea 2 too but in the end didnt because it doesn't really have that much water magic in it.

Anyway i got another suggestion, how it escaped my mind at first is beyond me as it is one of my favorite game series.
"Dominions" series or Dominions 5 to be more specific, the amount of stuff you can do there is simply astonishing. The game is quite complex mind you and not easy to get into, and most of fun comes from multiplayer, but once you get into it oh boy its really fun.
Thousands of items, enchantments, magic paths and spell schools (one of with is water magic). You can for example, summon water elemental as units or even commanders, forge items that allow your whole armies to walk under water. Cast powerful spells that submerge whole battlefields under water etc...

If you want to check out just some of the things you can pull off in that game see the wiki ->
Very nice, forgot about that series. I might get it. Thanks.

Boldano

Nov 16, 2020
Not sure how you feel about gachas or the aesthetic but Genshin Impact has a whole set of characters in the "Hydro" and "Cryo" classses and lets you power their abilties up with gear. Obvious downside is that you have to gamble for those characters (except for an okay ice/sword user) with in-game currency but the visuals are pretty great.

Dragon Age Inquisition has ice based magic talents I believe. Not sure about the others.

Kind of cheating and old but Infamous 2 let you spec into an ice power tree iirc.

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin