• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Rpgmaker for linux

Koroshyia

Jul 23, 2017
Hi peeps,

I am thinking of installing ubuntu so that i can get rid of myself the curse of windows.
And the eternal BUT can i play games from here that are required to have rpgmaker,rpgmakerace,rpgmakermv because i saw that some renpy games are available for linux.

Pepé Le Pew

Resident Skunk
Uploader
Game Compressor
Donor
Former Staff
Feb 3, 2017

J103

Sep 22, 2016
Hi peeps,

I am thinking of installing ubuntu so that i can get rid of myself the curse of windows.
And the eternal BUT can i play games from here that are required to have rpgmaker,rpgmakerace,rpgmakermv because i saw that some renpy games are available for linux.
Yes you can, but you need to learn to use Wine and install all the necessary things to make RPGMaker work. The good news is that you don't need to do anything to make RPGMaker MV work because even if a developer doesn't want to support Linux you can open any game in your browser and they run fine most of the time.

Someone wrote this tutorial:

It's a bit outdated but with very rare exceptions I managed to make everything work. Don't worry about using Ubuntu or Mint (but I would recommend Mint, especially if you're very used to Windows), Mint is based on Ubuntu and almost everything that works on one should work on the other (ALMOST).

I was in your same situation some years ago, it can be a bit confusing at first but don't worry, you'll get used eventually. Honestly the hardest part of switching to Linux from Windows was forgetting how I used to do things before. Linux isn't hard to use and some distros (like Mint or Ubuntu) are especially accessible for everyone but that doesn't change the fact that things are different and you're going to have to re-learn some things.

The-real-Vastitas

Game Developer
Jul 16, 2017
If you go for Mint or Ubuntu you might as well stick with MS (in terms of privacy and security- a puritans point of view not to be taken too seriously)...user friendly but watered down in essence...but back to topic...Wine is an option for sure essentially integrating MS applications on a Linux systems desktop if that is what you want...if MS is a
to you because of it's inability to recognize the term privacy and it's meaning you might wanna go the extra mile using VMware and a pure Linux distro like Debian to separate the mess from the system...in the confinement of "no internet access ever" MS isn't that bad really....if you walk the path you may wanna go all the way if not Mint&wine it is...regardless of choice with a little extra work RPGMaker games work on a Linux based OS without issue.

Koroshyia

Jul 23, 2017
I am actually using zorin 12.2 core so i want to know if thats gonna be different or not from what you are suggesting

Also im gonna check the wine application and try to learn it.