RTX 3080! but not rendering?

nyin

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2018
Hi devs. Need some help. Just picked up an RTX 3080 today. I wanted to test it out with daz iray, but it's not working. Is there anyone with experience on this matter that can help guide me?

What's happening: iray viewport preview just shows smooth shaded model with loading bar at the bottom-- nothing happens. Actual render with render button shows blank.

Scene consists of just a bare genesis 8 model.
Latest nvidia driver version: 456.38 (tried both Studio and Game Ready drivers)
Daz version: tried 4.12 and 4.12 beta
Ticked GPU boxes and unticked CPU boxes in Render Settings > Advanced.

From my searches, I know there have been similar experiences with other dev's GPU rendering attempts, but didn't find any clear solutions. Can anyone offer help? Also, does anyone have a Daz 4.11 beta download available for me to try it on?

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
Brand new cards almost never work right away in Daz due to the iRay versions they have. With the 2000x series cards, it took like 3-4 months for them to be fully integrated and working. I imagine that's the problem right now. Don't know if they can render just as a base card without all the bells and whistles or not at all until iray is updated to support them and that's an nvidia thing that they have to do.

Reactions: nyin

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
You do understand that DAZ won't have a working version for 30-series cards for at least a few months, right? Iray already supports 30-series, but I'm not 100% sure if the release-version does yet. Anyway, DAZ needs to update their internal wiring to work with 30-series, and that will take some time. How much time, noone knows, but anywhere between 2-6 months, if previous releases / updates are anything to go by. This would be obvious for pretty much anyone understanding a LITTLE bit of how DAZ works...

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
Buying a 30-series card right now for rendering isn't a good idea as they won't work in Daz. Might work in blender or other things. Buying the card now makes sense if you're a gamer, video editor, etc. Otherwise, I'm holding off a bit especially with the shit show it was today.

nyin

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2018
Brand new cards almost never work right away in Daz due to the iRay versions they have. With the 2000x series cards, it took like 3-4 months for them to be fully integrated and working. I imagine that's the problem right now. Don't know if they can render just as a base card without all the bells and whistles or not at all until iray is updated to support them and that's an nvidia thing that they have to do.
You do understand that DAZ won't have a working version for 30-series cards for at least a few months, right? Iray already supports 30-series, but I'm not 100% sure if the release-version does yet. Anyway, DAZ needs to update their internal wiring to work with 30-series, and that will take some time. How much time, noone knows, but anywhere between 2-6 months, if previous releases / updates are anything to go by. This would be obvious for pretty much anyone understanding a LITTLE bit of how DAZ works...
Buying a 30-series card right now for rendering isn't a good idea as they won't work in Daz. Might work in blender or other things. Buying the card now makes sense if you're a gamer, video editor, etc. Otherwise, I'm holding off a bit especially with the shit show it was today.

Ah, that explains everything. That's definitely a bummer. It does seem to be working in Maya. A big thanks to you two for the fyi. I definitely needed to know that.

Reactions: MovieMike

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Daz private build already have full 30XX serie support, among other things (they already jumped from there). Iray RTX 2020.1.0 was the build they used to . Shouldn't be long.

• Source maintenance
  • Update to NVIDIA Iray RTX 2020.1.0 (334300.2228)
    • Increases minimum driver requirement (on Windows) to 451.48 - to properly support CUDA 11 and OptiX 7.1
    • Failure to update to the minimum driver is likely to produce a blank image
    • Installing updated driver may require restart (multiple)
  • Made changes (i.e., additions, modifications) to Shader Mixer low-level MDL bricksthat correspond to integration of NVIDIA Iray RTX 2020.1
    • Added DzMdlBaseBlendNormals, DzMdlBaseWorleyNoiseInput4, DzMdlBaseWorleyNoiseInput7
    • Manually recreated DzMdlBaseWorleyNoiseInput3, DzMdlBaseWorleyNoiseInput6 to preserve backward compatibility

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
That's strange, games were not updated for the 30s series, its all in the drivers, if games work, so should Daz "in theory". The updates in games will be to add support for the new functionalities, but all the 20s functionalities should work right out of the box.

As for the delay on Daz side, from what I understood/can recall, the big delay in support was with the implementation of the Ray Tracing, which was a big change for Daz.

Still, it is strange that Daz needs to be updated to use a new RTX card that works in non-updated games with Ray Tracing on. The drivers should kick in and act as a 20s series at least.

I guess it's a game of who wants to do the work first, Daz or NVidia.

Edit: and I guess Daz is working on it already hehe.

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
You do understand that it needs to be the correct IRAY VERSION, to support RTX 30-series? Has nothing to do with drivers. Also, yes, the PRIVATE channel might be updated already - however, from things go from Private to Public can be... very arbitrary. So I would still not expect even the public beta to be updated to support the latest Iray (which have support for RTX 30-series) for at least a month or two. Again, if anything is to be learned from previous iterations. Of course, if someone has access to the Private DAZ build, I'm sure plenty of people would like to take it for a spin...

Reactions: Madmanator99

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
I understand, from Daz point of view, if they want to use the new RTX 30-series, they need to update, but, from NVidia's point of view, if they want their new RTX 30-series to work with Daz, the drivers should do the work and fall back to the RTX 20-series functionalities as an option, untill Daz updates, that's what I meant.
But you are right, I'm just hopefull, and all I can do is cross my fingers that Daz gets the support up and running asap, I plan on getting a 3070 myself, as its within my budget, when it's released.

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
I understand, from Daz point of view, if they want to use the new RTX 30-series, they need to update, but, from NVidia's point of view, if they want their new RTX 30-series to work with Daz, the drivers should do the work and fall back to the RTX 20-series functionalities as an option, untill Daz updates, that's what I meant.
But you are right, I'm just hopefull, and all I can do is cross my fingers that Daz gets the support up and running asap, I plan on getting a 3070 myself, as its within my budget, when it's released.
Yeah unfortunately I don't think nVidia cares too much about iray or Daz. It'll happen, and hopefully soonish, but it's low on their priority level. I imagine first and foremost is just getting more stock and then patching so all these new games are working properly so that reviews are good. Either way, the cards look like beasts and you're lucky you got one. I know people who tried and they were sold out within seconds.

I really want either a 20gb version of one of the 3090s. I'm on a 1080 and been waiting for about a year for these cards. Want to play Cyberpunk 2077 maxed out, and do some renders myself.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
but, from NVidia's point of view, if they want their new RTX 30-series to work with Daz, the drivers should do the work and fall back to the RTX 20-series functionalities as an option, untill Daz updates, that's what I meant.
Nice, in theory, but that hasn't been the way it's been happening. I suspect that iRay gets down pretty "low level" into the cards, which is why a new version of iRay is required. I know that there's a whole "compile a kernel for the card" process that goes on, and it could be that that kernel has to be updated to support new generation cards.

Games, in general, aren't designed for specific hardware. Instead, they tend to stay on top of the "public API's", which means that a new card works as soon as NVidia releases a compatible driver. iRay, however, is specifically designed for NVidia hardware, so wiith iRay, that's clearly not been enough, because we've seen this same thing happen both when the 10x0 and 20x0 series came out.

Reactions: Madmanator99

Andurin

Apr 28, 2017
If you are expiriencing this, please do the following test:
1. After you get the "preparing scene" endless loop, enable CPU fallback and restart Daz.
2a. If the error continues, link log.
2b. If iray or iray preview loads, (download and) enable MSI Afterburner.
3. Turn off CPU fallback, In Afterburner set GPU POWER usage to 60% and restart
4. Do a few test renders without closing Daz. Alittle stress testing if you will. If the error returns, link log.
4a. If the error doesnt return and you use afterburner at 60% power usage - then you properly need to upgrade Power supply and maybe Motherboard to prevent memory floating.

You are looking for the line "All available GPUs failed" in your log.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Tor7