2D RyonaHD sprites

RyonaHD

Nov 4, 2019
Hello World!

I'm a spriter and an animator and I love me some ryona! In fact I would like to create a game based on ryona, a turn-based customizable fighting game, as an alternative to mugen. In fact, for this game I aim to revamp the main mugen characters you know (Minotaur, Kuromaru, Slime). There are a lot of chars I want to do.

I also aim to revamp existing mugen chars! Edit their ryona moves with beatiful animations to raise their quality, something that is pretty needed. The animations of some chars don't have a good quality.

The thing is: I can't code for sh*t and I can't do my game, so I did set up a Patreon to find a programmer and as rewards I will deliver what I know best in the meantime: sprites and animations for mugen or for your pixel project.

I have a Discord where you can join, we have 3 polls (LR, 2R & HD) and everyone can nominate their ideas to be animated. Even if some of these polls can be voted exclusively by patrons, there's still a chance that your nominated idea may win.

If you support me on Patreon I will of course be a step closer to create my game so we can all enjoy, do better ryona animations for mugen chars and in return you will access exclusive polls and content that I create. You will have access to the uncensored works (every sprite I do for my game has a nude layer).

And yes, I tried RyonaSaga but I feel it's not that good.

Here are some of my works:

A mockup of my game, there's a full presentation at the end of this post which explains all the ideas I have for my game:

Some poll rewards, suggested by you guys:

DISCORD:

PATREON:

RYONA FIGHTERS, main ideas for the game (.ppt & .pdf):

COMMISSIONS:
I'm also available for commissions, you can reach me via Discord.

If you are o know a game programmer please let me know.

Last edited:

Maphio

Jul 23, 2017
Why don't you try contacting the RyonaRPG guys?
Some of them have tried their best to keep RyonaSaga alive, one of them called MichiroSirube or something like that.
You might find good help there.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
damn good work.
There are many programmers on this site looking to partner up with artists, but artists tend to be harder to find, especially 2D artists like yourself (most everyone else here uses Daz or Honey select for 3D renders)

trythison

Jul 2, 2017
Your sprite work is really god damn solid, especially regarding animation.

I'd suggest you tone down the lines on the anatomy (on the minotaur guy for example). Maybe try some dotted patterns or a solid line but in a lighter color (closer to a skin tone). It clashes hard with your highlights.

Also a small anatomy mistake on the girl. Her upper legs are a bit too long compared to her lower legs : basically her heel should reach just below her ass and right now it barely reaches the middle of her tights.

Anyway good luck with your project o/

RyonaHD

Nov 4, 2019
Thank you, thank you.

Why don't you try contacting the RyonaRPG guys?
Some of them have tried their best to keep RyonaSaga alive, one of them called MichiroSirube or something like that.
You might find good help there.
Well as I said: "yes, I tried RyonaSaga but I feel it's not that good".

I may give it a deeper look.

damn good work.
There are many programmers on this site looking to partner up with artists, but artists tend to be harder to find, especially 2D artists like yourself (most everyone else here uses Daz or Honey select for 3D renders)
Well, funny thing is that I purchased and use Koikatu for these sprites, I use XNALara as well. I prefer pixel art over the raw renders because I can edit proportions, fix things and have more control of the image over all.

Latest 2D fighting games use 3D models as their bases as well.

But I have used several sprite-styles and I know how to animate by my own.

Yes, hopefully I find a programmer.

Your sprite work is really god damn solid, especially regarding animation.

I'd suggest you tone down the lines on the anatomy (on the minotaur guy for example). Maybe try some dotted patterns or a solid line but in a lighter color (closer to a skin tone). It clashes hard with your highlights.

Also a small anatomy mistake on the girl. Her upper legs are a bit too long compared to her lower legs : basically her heel should reach just below her ass and right now it barely reaches the middle of her tights.

Anyway good luck with your project o/
Yes I get you with the dotted outline and the palette. Believe me is a stylistic choice, first because I can shade faster around the outlines without having to modify them, second because I like how impactful and aggressive it looks, I try to keep it clean too.

I use a Koikatu 3d model as the base. It looks like it depends on the camera angle: On the last row of the sheet most of the sprites seem to be ok. It also depends if the leg is straight or bending, I can see what you mean, it doesn't bother me too much but I will keep your feedback in mind.

Thank you.

///////////////////////////////////////////

I did 2 new animations, these are rewards from the polls we have on Discord and Patreon. We have 3 monthly polls, 1 public and 2 for patrons to vote in.

I like to share everything I do, but I may have to keep exclusive animations for Patreon *shrug* I don't know.

Anyways, you can join and suggest your ideas to be animated, anyone can nominate ideas for the patrons to vote for.

The sprite-styles I can do are:

This month, though, I will focus on Ryona Fighters characters, but if you want to suggest ideas for LR and HD styles go ahead.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

I'm also available for commissions, same styles as above, I charge per animation frame:

LR frame = 24 usd
2R frame = 36 usd
HD frame = 54 usd

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the works I deliver.

Ankhesenamun

Dec 17, 2017
Oustanding work there! I'm just wondering if you have considered introducing outfits that progressively deteriorate as the fight goes on? It's usually very positively regarded in fighting games, to the point the latest DoA even included it as a feature.

RyonaHD

Nov 4, 2019
Of course!

I do a nude layer for every sprite, so I can apply clothes on top. We can have another set for deteriorated clothes, though that would be one of the final steps of the project.

Before the clothes layer I'm aiming for a facial bruise layer, similar to Art of Fighting 1.

A color separation is good as well, for crying makeup, for small bruises, for other outfits. Though this one is more like body painting.

RyonaHD

Nov 4, 2019
We are holding 3 polls for the month of February:
-LR (Low Res), PUBLIC POLL
-2R (Double Res), PATREON POLL
-HD (High Definition), PATREON POLL

You can join the server to vote in the public LR poll:

Here's a preview of the public LR poll.

For access to the 2R and HD polls, feel free to join my patreon:

A preview image as well for the 2R and HD nominees:

The voting will last 3 days.
The rewards are 3 animations, one per poll.

Everyone can nominate ideas, no barriers, so feel free to nominate yours for future polls on my Discord for a chance of getting them animated.

Last edited:

mortanios

Jun 19, 2017
Thank you, thank you.

Well as I said: "yes, I tried RyonaSaga but I feel it's not that good".

I may give it a deeper look.

Well, funny thing is that I purchased and use Koikatu for these sprites, I use XNALara as well. I prefer pixel art over the raw renders because I can edit proportions, fix things and have more control of the image over all.

Latest 2D fighting games use 3D models as their bases as well.

But I have used several sprite-styles and I know how to animate by my own.

Yes, hopefully I find a programmer.

Yes I get you with the dotted outline and the palette. Believe me is a stylistic choice, first because I can shade faster around the outlines without having to modify them, second because I like how impactful and aggressive it looks, I try to keep it clean too.

I use a Koikatu 3d model as the base. It looks like it depends on the camera angle: On the last row of the sheet most of the sprites seem to be ok. It also depends if the leg is straight or bending, I can see what you mean, it doesn't bother me too much but I will keep your feedback in mind.

Thank you.

///////////////////////////////////////////

I did 2 new animations, these are rewards from the polls we have on Discord and Patreon. We have 3 monthly polls, 1 public and 2 for patrons to vote in.

I like to share everything I do, but I may have to keep exclusive animations for Patreon *shrug* I don't know.

Anyways, you can join and suggest your ideas to be animated, anyone can nominate ideas for the patrons to vote for.

The sprite-styles I can do are:

This month, though, I will focus on Ryona Fighters characters, but if you want to suggest ideas for LR and HD styles go ahead.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

I'm also available for commissions, same styles as above, I charge per animation frame:

LR frame = 24 usd
2R frame = 36 usd
HD frame = 54 usd

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the works I deliver.
This Mai Shiranui from 2R, theres any update or is just sprites?

Leeduva

Mar 3, 2020
Wait so in other words you want to make something like Strip fighter serious by Studio S.