Ren'Py - Sabrina the Invisible Art [v0.77] [Omar company]

1. 4.00 star(s)

NotSoNice00012

I think it's a good remaster and the art is unique, I'm sure with a bit more work and content it could be an amazing game. There are a few bugs like if you click the potion in the cabinet before its ready an error comes up but you can easily just not click it until it's ready to be made. I do wish that old saves worked with new updates, the last update I had to start over from the beginning. I think with more medium/large updates it could be a top game so long as the developers don't give up.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

Symphatic

This review was done during Version 0.32.

So we all have a general idea of how we view "remasters", especially those that claim to be remasters without even finishing the first game. So, unfortunately for the developer, most of the review will have to be a side-by-side comparison of the content given during both games while ultimately being about this remaster.

Keep in mind the motto that Omar Company has for the game "We made a remastered version of our good old game to improve Sabrina in every aspect!"

The Engine
    The engine is the exact same as the old game. There is no difference. We can already cross that off on the "in every aspect" list.

The Art
    I have never ever... ever... been a fan of remasters. The majority of the time it's just slapping on a fresh coat of paint and selling it for the same amount as when the old game was first released whereas a simple mod can usually fix the issue. In Sabrina the Invisible Art's case, there is no visible art improvement. It looks as though the artist has made zero improvements on themselves in the past 2 years. I usually find that hard to believe since most artists tend to improve in some capacity as time goes on. The art is basically identical to the original game which means we can now cross this off as well in the "in every aspect" list.

The English
    I personally find it equally as bad as the original version with no improvement. So we can cross this off in the "in every aspect" list.

The Story/Concept
    I am still not seeing any visible improvement. In fact, I see less content than in the previous game. To be completely honest that's a given, however, the issue I am having is that the previous game was already incomplete so I am forced to compare that. If the previous game was completed then that would be another story.

Overall
    Overall I am severely disappointed. I can see why people are dropping their subs to them. I can see why people are calling this a "cash grab" or "scam". There is pretty much no improvement all the way around despite what their motto says. This is 100% a cash grab no question about that. There was no reason to remake the game from scratch. There was no improvement in the art it's still identical. The only thing the user gets to experience in disappointment on a game that didn't need to be remade gets remade. It took 2 years for the original game to get to the point it was at and now everyone has to wait, yet again, to get actual content. If you're unhappy with a certain part of your project then do what most developers do: redo the content, and don't remake the game.