VN - Others - Completed - Sankaku Renai: Love Triangle Trouble [v1.01] [ASa Project]

1. 4.00 star(s)

youmustbejoking

“The sum of the squares on the imoutos of a love triangle is equal to the square on the osananajimi.” - Pythagoras, ancient Greek thinker.

Sankaku Renai, or Love Triangle Trouble as it is known in the ingles, is love comedy visual novel that plays it by the book. It knows what it is and doesn’t try to overstretch its bounds and because of that manages to hit all the right beats just right.

Our MC, known to everyone around him as Sosuke. He’s a high school student living in a rural town together with his dad, his step-mom, and of course his step-imouto. He is an otaku just like 99% on protaginists in these kinds of visual novels who is also a member in the school’s otaku club, where he spends his free time together with his friends talking about anime, reading manga, playing games, and other assorted dorky shit. Things seem to be going along smoothly until one day he comes back home only to see that his blood-related-imouto has entered the picture after several years of absence… Yup, it’s one of those games.

This is a comedy centric novel and compared to most titles in the genre I found it to be among the funniest, for one main reason. See, there is this big discussion in the weeb world pertaining to translations and how literal or “adapted” they should be. This is one of those that is heavily adapted. Even with my limited knowledge of le niponese I know for a fact that many of the lines in the game were not translated ad literam, but instead were changed in a way to be more funnier than what they originally were. This reminds me a bit of the Highschool DXD dub which is notorious for being laugh out loud funny, but also one that takes many freedoms. It’s easy to understand why this approach can go wrong, but in the case of Sankaku Renai I think that the translators did an outstanding job overall. The comedy is laugh out loud funny, and I also didn’t notice many currentyearisms either, at least not too many and not too cringe for me to have made a mental note of. Not only are the situations themselves funny, but the game also likes to break the fourth wall on many occasions. For example there’s this guy who is the president of the otaku club who is just called “Prez” and at one point the other characters even note the fact that his real name is never mentioned once in the entire game. At one point his label in the game’s interface changes during one of the gags and the other characters point that out too. Personally I find this type of fourth wall breaking comedy to really funny if done right, and Sankaku Renai is definitely one of those that do.

The characters are also very tropey as one might expect. There are actually six girls that you can romance, but only four of those have real routes. The other two are more extras.

Nanaru is the step-imouto and judging by her twin-tails you just know that she is a tsundere. She is very easy to trigger by others and Sosuke knows exactly when to push her buttons which constitutes the subject of many of the gags that pervade this novel. I love this character. Her voice actress also killed it with her performance. Second best girl and one my favorite tsundere characters in the medium for sure! She would have been best girl, but there is another that took that spot. The funny thing is that not only do the parents not mind the two of you going out together, they actively encourage it too! Talk about progressive, sheesh… And speaking of which…

Suzu is your blood-related-imouto. Yup. No ifs, no buts. No long lost secrets, no unexpected twists in the story. Just a plain standard imouto. On the surface she seems like your average adorable little imouto, but on the inside. On the inside awaits DEATH! Ok, it’s not that dramatic, but there’s definitely a bit of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide thing going on with her. Now if you’re wondering what the parents think about this, well it’s actually never addresses. Compared to the other girls the romance with her just sort ends at one point, meaning that there is no real conclusion to the story. I don’t understand these sorts of devs. On the one hand they want to appeal to a certain segment of the market, but then they half ass it. Either go all the way or don’t include the fetish. Her route kinda grossed me out ngl, but I knew what I was getting into when I started the VN so I’m not going to be hypocritical and complain any further.

Shiina is your senpai and she is horny. Like really horny. She is short with HUEG tits and an insatiable appetite for echhi, and it just so happens to want your bad. Her favorite past time is playing eroge and making lewd jokes about them. This girl is probably every coomer’s wet dream. And then you get to her route……….. and it turns out it was all just a front and she is actually very shy and gets easily flustered. Sigh. At least they didn’t give her a dick so I should be grateful for that I suppose. I understand what they were trying to go for with her character but I just don’t think that she turned out that compelling in the end. Still she is a fun character overall and is the one who creates most of the jokes. She also is the one who breaks the fourth wall the most. In fact when you meet her she flat out tells you what choices to pick during the game to get to her route!

Maho is the osananajimi and best girl. There. End of story. Normally I don’t really like this archetype as I find them quite safe and boring but with her I’ll make an exception. She is so incredible she is easily in the top 5 for me in the medium. She just ticks all the boxes for me. Long red hair, slender figure, likes games, is a total bro, and gets flustered easily thus making her a prime target for Sosuke’s teasing. One of the few osananajimis done right. Hats off, Asa Project. Also when she’s wearing that skimpy chinese dress. Dayum.

Olivia is a petite gyaru foreigner who is really into cosplay and constantly wants to get Maho to try it out. Can’t say I blame her. I want to see Maho in sexy outfits too. I did not enjoy this character very much. She came off as a bitch most of the time and I hated her lisp too so I ended up skipping most of her voiced lines. Her route is short, like one hour max.

Akane is a fujoshi which would normally place her at the bottom (heh) of the barrel but she is actually a really funny character. You’d think her gay jokes would get old soon but somehow they managed to stay entertaining throughout. Her route is also only about an hour long.

The only other notable characters who also have sprites are the aforementioned Prez who ends up the butt end of the joke on many occasions, as well as Sosuke’s parents who are also very well done. The routes themselves aren’t that noteworthy though. I mean don’t expect any memorable stories here, but the comedy stays good throughout so I guess that’s all that matters. You have a common route at the beginning, which then splits of into to other main routes: the sister route (with Nanaru, Suzu, and Akane) and the friend route (with Shiina, Maho, and Olivia).

The VA is very well done, especially Nanaru, Maho, and Prez, but all of the actors did a tremendous job here. The music is unfortunately completely forgettable. The sprites and CGs are gorgeous. My only complaint is that the main girls only had two sprite variations and the rest of the characters only had one. I think they could have added one more for each but hey, you can’t win ‘em all I suppose. The backgrounds also look good for the most part, except for one scene where they were supposed to be at a crowded event but the background showed only an empty hallway. I though that was a bit jarring and out of place.

The H-scenes are vanilla and plentiful. The main girls get four each, and even the side girls get two each so there’s enough coom material for you coomers out there, as long as you’re not expecting anything wilder than a footjob, but you probably weren’t.

The interface was good as I was able to set the auto reading speed to just the right pace, however it does have this weird “feature” where you can’t overwrite saved games. The game ran well on Linux, with the caveat that I couldn’t get the intro movie to play. I have no idea what dll I was missing, oh well no big issue.

Overall Sankaku Renai is a very decent entry in the never ending moege scene. Its biggest pro by far is the comedy which is a lot better than most of its peers, thanks to the very loose english translation. NekoNyan did a good job with this title IMO.

Girl ranking: Maho > Nanaru > Shiina > Suzu > Akane > Olivia

Verdict: 3.5 stars but it gets another .5 star for Maho alone . An excellent addition to a coomer’s collection. People who come to this one searching for a fun time with lots of lewd jokes will be well served. If you want something more serious though you should look elsewhere.

Total read time: juuuuuuust under 30 hours so it doesn’t overstay its welcome, measured with Lutris, read at an average-to-quick pace and skipping many of the moans.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

Condemned77

Sadly with this game there is no main story to speak of, several girls for no reason at all suddenly like the MC and he picks one thats it.

There were many story plots they could have gone with that would have made the game far more interesting and fit the situation but for some reason they passed them all by and instead tried to manufacture drama from nothing which everytime adds nothing to the story and always ends exatly the same boring way.

The heroines are all one track, they have different tastes, one likes fighting games, one likes idol shows, one likes eroge etc. etc. and they will talk about that one thing over and over and over and over again until you are bored to tears, one interest is not a substitute for a personality and on top of that they have no emotions that last longer than five seconds.

MC is so generic its not even funny(it is even mentioned in the game that the MC has no semblance of individuality) and on the topic of comedy this game has lots of the fourth wall breaking comedy the maker is know for but without a main story to back it up it dosent have the same effect.

There is absolutly nothing in this VN that stands out it is just pure bordom

Story 0/5 none
    Art 3/5 average
    Sex n/a didnt get that far
    Fetishes 1/5 sister
    Choices 1/5 standard pick the girl
    Characters 1/5 dull with no personalities
  3. 4.00 star(s)

dnm13

The plot is good, but how it's being written is kind of... bad in my opinion.

TL;DR - 7 / 10 - Too much jokes, even on some scenes that's suppossed to be serious.

Art - 7 / 10
    Standard. It's kind of harsh indeed but nothing special from the art. It's good though so no complain from me.

Sound / Voice - 7 / 10
    The VAs are doing good. Soundtrack kind of meh in my opinion.

H-Scene - 8 / 10
    Plentiful. Although quite vanilla, but even the side heroines get more than one H-Scene so it's satisfactory.

Story - 6 / 10
    Don't get me wrong here. The plot is good and interesting. But how it's written is kind of letdown to me especially in Kisu's route. There's too much joke in her route that even some scene that's suppossed to be serious are filled with them. The joke themselves includes 4th wall breaking and is very Japanese-kind of jokes, so it's either hit or miss. For me, it's half hit and half miss.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Wazuma

An absolute masterpiece. Every character is likable, the comedy is a 10/10 and I especially liked Shiina's route was really very well done and gives us a nice insight into her personality. It's crazy how relatable Prez can be and Shiina, also Maho and Nanaru are great Characters as well. There are more reasons why I think so, but I am too lazy at the moment
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Sinphil

Brilliant satire that doesn't just take aim at eroge of all sorts but includes MMO and pay to win mobiles as well as us fans. It also doesn't hold back on modern consumerism.

It is not a translation and either written in English first or had a total rewrite in english, way to many puns, word plays and jokes that simply could not have translated as well as one character heavily loaded with old english.

The satire is interwoven in entire fabric of game, not just the story but the choices, the characters, the artwork and the dialogues to.

A little surprised some saying not enough story because its a pretty long game and both triangles I found to be played a little to far to keep with satire rather than underdone and the character stories revealed in each path without much repeat. I was really pleasantly surprised in such a satire there were still lots of poignant moments in both story triangles and you felt for girl rejected.

The characters are really well done, firstly they are satirical so over the top nerds with a "labeling Fetish" yet they still fleshed out and easy to become attached to. The MC is not a manic depressive or jerk though probably has a right to be, he is in fact a well balanced nerd content to live in moment and enjoy company of friends, though once they start down love paths he becomes a myriad of satirical characters paying out on the virgin casanovas that dominate this genre. Sometimes so over top you do want to slap him through screen. Even the side characters like parents have depth and humor and some pretty awesome moments.

The artwork is great and the expressions are nailed both in supporting story mood when needed and satire.

A fun romp with 20 H scenes (at end of love paths) but the satire and story make the wait well worth it.
  6. 4.00 star(s)

Startas233

Pros: 6 girls, uncensored, gintama quality comedy, great translation, nice art.

Cons: Story is plus/minus somewhat

Overall its worth playing just for the laughs, the story is there, but it can be somewhat general. Each heroine has her own quirks and unique personality. The mc is also not that bad.
  7. 4.00 star(s)

Cube-Chan

Too much boning, not enough story.
    Still, quite funny and the translation is well written.
    As expected from NekoNyan.

The game is stuffed to the brim with memes and fourth wall breaks.
    Still, I believe it barely scrapes by just below being obnoxious.

The actual character routes are a bit too short for my liking.
    Especially Cara and Akane's routes, which are barely more than excuses for H-scenes.