Ren'Py - School Game [v0.952] [Sloths Command]

1. 1.00 star(s)

Informa

Crashes nearly every five minutes. Crashes are due to content being locked behind paywalls, but not removed from code. It is odd to have to pay for pirated art, but that's the dev's decision I guess.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

MomEnjoyer321

First off this game has horrendous UI. Its all over the place and its incredibly hard to look at and digest. The game has lots and lots of bugs. You will pick one body type and then after a day you will look at your character and its totally different.

In terms of gameplay this game is basically Koikatsu in VN mode. So you still have the freeroam things in school and you can fuck every girl in the school through the love meter system. This is the best part of the game but because of the bugs it still pretty rough. The actual story content is super bad and should be avoided.

After you fiddle with most of the systems the game feels very samey and not worth it to keep playing.
  3. 1.00 star(s)

lowrider95

I hate this game so. Fucking. Much. I get back to it every once in a while, thinking "it was very buggy and far from being finished, but it had great visuals and seemed promising as a sandbox". Surely things are better five or seven releases later? Lol.

The most recent version is 0.950_bugfix_8, and it's telling. Yeah, they needed eight iterations of bugfixing after the latest release, and still you're more or less guaranteed to get a renpy error in some scene because devs misspelled 'length' as 'lenght' or something. Even if you don't, the game is very hollow. I never delved deep in the plot quest, so maybe I'm missing on some hidden gem, but sandbox part is as boring and one-dimensional as it was a full year ago in 0.939. All girls are essentially the same, differing in lewdness (e.g. readiness to fuck) and having two subtypes, 'regular' and 'shy'. They may have a lot of traits, like 'nerd' or 'jock' or 'hooligan' or 'social' but these don't do shit, they just increase or decrease some modifiers by some negligible amount. You can either make a lot of compliments and then fuck them, or beat the shit out of them repeatedly and then fuck them not-so-consensually. That's it.

Okay, every sandbox game more or less boils down to that, right? But this game fails to use even mechanics that it already has. As I said, girl traits are basically irrelevant. Girl stats also have little use, you'll never see any point in the fact that some girl has high 'criminality' score and another one has low stamina. A few places where stats matter are fucked up; for example, the condition for raw-dogging someone is flipped and you need a girl to have LOW bravery, HIGH responsibility and LOW lewdness to agree to that. 'Fear' stat keeps falling into negatives inexplicably, you can't really bully a girl into submission by groping her or by verbal aggression, you'll need to literally beat her up repeatedly to have her fear to sustainably increase.

There are maybe ten lewd scenes with RNPCs in the entire game - after years of development. Events are often railroaded. Decided to defend a victim of bullying? You'll brutally beat up a bully because that's how this event is written. No matter if you're a skinny nerd who is afraid of people. By the way, the victim will get something like +6 to relationship with you (for reference: a single compliment is +10). A girl might offer you a guessing game at the beach, but you'll lose EVERY TIME if your luck is below threshold (and vice versa). You might see a kissing pair and think 'they are probably dating', but the dude will say 'never heard of her' if you tell him the girl's name. NPCs will say 'I gotta go, sorry' and then stay in the same location for an hour. It's not even a simulation game because nothing is really simulated. Just a poorly made false front which falls apart after ten minutes of playtime. Not even a day-night cycle is properly simulated, NPCs just wander around no matter the time (including in locations that are closed at night, because they are closed for YOU specifically).

And there's so much attention given to absolutely irrelevant shit. There's an elaborate set of cooking recipes which no one ever uses because it's too grindy. There are potions to raise your stats, complete with the alchemy system, but the stats are opaque and gameplay feels the same no matter what build you choose. There's a paperdoll of PC with bodyparts that get damaged during the day and heal during sleep (incredibly, your head gets damaged when you study).

Admittedly, the game got somewhat better with time. A year ago it wasn't even a game, just a long queue of renpy errors with some semblance of gameplay squeezed in between. Now it sometimes does NOT forget who is interacting with whom when clicking on fighting or cuddling NPCs. Interfaces got better, although you still need to scroll down relentlessly whenever you want to get to school stadium. Visuals are unironically great, and some real work has been done on map, character creation, sex interface and so on. But it's still a hollow piece of crap.

New sex system deserves a specific mention. It's like a metaphor for the game in general. Looks nice and promises a smooth experience. Interfaces are a little clunky but okay. But then you find out that every change of pose adds +60 to fatigue... and at 100 fatigue sex ends. So you initiated a bit of petting, switched to missionary, BAM! sex is over two seconds after you switched. Why? Just why? Why? And there's a single way to decrease fatigue gain: via sex experience. Every 100 points of sex experience (so, like 25-30 intercourses) decrease fatigue cost by ONE. I'm not even joking. Just go straight to the renpy console and set the sex experience to 10000, that's the only way to enjoy this.

However I must pay some respect to the ingenious monetization model. All the especially broken stuff (like the unplayable female protag) is hidden behind a paywall. Any poor fucker stupid enough to pay for that must suffer (all the premium content is unlockable for free after unpacking the game and changing two lines in .rpy files btw).

And then there's translation. At least I can read Russian. Can't imagine what you guys feel when trying to read that shit in English. I don't know why they didn't use autotranslate, it would've been way better.
  4. 1.00 star(s)

Adama

Wtf is this even? As others mentioned, you are immediately met with the statement about the game not being for commerce, yet choosing a gender costs 10USD donation. Untranslated texts appear all over the place. Game breaking bugs literally 5 minutes into the game. Sex scenes break immediately, they pop up like 20 errors. You can't even talk to anybody without getting the ignore/rollback error. Yikes. Haven't seen a game this broken before.
  5. 1.00 star(s)

Vvsttannat

The first thing you find when you start a new game is a message saying "This is not a commercial game" and an indication that the game contains things that don't belong to the devs.

Immediately after, in the character creator you will find that to change your character's sex you have to be a $10+ subscriber on their Patreon.

"Not a commercial game" may ass. To lock content behind a paywall is already pretty bad, but we're not talking about menial stuff like some extra encounters or behind the scenes goodies; this is supposed to be some sort of RPG sim where you play a character, to limit an option so integral to the whole game is such a dick move it's unthinkable.

Add to that the fact the English translation is awful at best and that the game crashed 4 times before I even finished with the character creation, I refused to even play the damn game.
  6. 2.00 star(s)

Akabakka

This is a joke right ? I've never seen before around here , a game labeled with versions beyond 0.9 with so many reoccurring and game-breaking bugs .

I don't even need to list them all at this point , i have a feeling that anyone seeking reviews saw them . It ranges from UI bugs and issues , text popping or or not when it should or should not , saves not being available sometimes , crashes etc ..

Meanwhile the game itself , the meat of it , ain't awful if you're into sandboxes , but ain't even great and varied enough to warrant accepting those bugs and dealing with it . Some of it is still the only reason i give it two stars .
  7. 2.00 star(s)

SicariusLux

I generally really like these sort of games, and I do think this one has a lot of potential. It has some great artwork, and I can see the basis for a lot of good aspects if you're a fan of sandbox games.

Unfortunately in its current state I can't really recommend it. It's a buggy mess as the moment with multiple UI issues and control problems. In addition, the English translation for things is just incredibly bad. It is obviously better than having no English, but it feels poorly machine translated, and in a game where most of the content is locked behind building up relationships with characters via dialog, that's a big issue.

As for the bugginess, judging from the other reviews, I'm not the only one who had multiple crashes or glitches early on. Sometimes text boxes during the tutorial just didn't pop up, (at least as far as I could tell, because the next ones that did acted as though they were continuing something a previous one had said), and if you click on one of the options such as "find character" and type something into it other than exactly what it wants, it just crashes to an error screen. These are just a couple of examples of issues, but I had several more pretty quickly.

I also tried the patreon code to unlock the "new" sex scene style which is more of a minigame, and I had issues with it where if I brought up the settings menu that let you change whether you finished inside or out, that menu couldn't be closed. Attempting to hide the UI during these scenes via the "H" key, (which hides text boxes in most Ren'Py games), causes the screen to go fully black.

Ignoring these bugs though, the game is just kind of clunky in how it handles even things like moving locations or taking actions. You have to switch through multiple menus in order to switch between moving/interacting/etc. This isn't the worst, and I get that it's partly because there's multiple options, but it just doesn't feel intuitive. Especially when the "move" option is only for moving within the area, and you have to bring up the map to move between zones, or when multiple dialog options are hidden between selecting the emoticons during conversation to switch what type of dialog you're having.

Like I said though, all in all the game has some potential. As stands it's still absolutely below average for functionality, but if it does ever improve to where it actually plays well and has a proper translation, I'd be willing to give it another shot. As is though it's just a worse version of Hentai High School, but with better visuals for the actual sex scenes. If it improves in those other regards though, as well as having a proper modding community, (there's a few mods listed under the mod screen but they're locked behind being a patron it seemed), it could become a truly great sandbox H-game. Currently, it's a hard skip though.
  8. 3.00 star(s)

teletube

A lot of potential, but barely working.

The game would be quite good, I believe, if it would work all as intended.
    There actually some gameplay involved.
    There is a world you can move through and interact with random girls.
    You can be a good guy or a bad guy.
    Girls are cute and you can build up relationships with different ones simultaniously.
    There is some depth to sex scenes (a mini game).
    You can have a huge harem (sort of).
    Overall, game offers a lot of options and interesting things, but...

Soon the gameplay loop becomes boring and grindy.
    Random interactions don't offer any real depth.
    Girls don't differ from one another, especially in terms of sex scenes.
    There are a lot of bugs, most stop your progress, so you are forced to choose a different path and hope it won't bug out too - very annoying.
    Its clunky and janky all around.
    A lot of intended stuff is yet in progress to be delivered.

Not so bad all things considered - 6/10.
    It is an ambitious project, it might be real good when it is finished, but it is clearly unfinished at the moment. It requires much more hard work and polish to work as intended and to offer any real depth then.

(Game is in v0.946bf5 during this review)
  9. 2.00 star(s)

TheCandyManCan13

The UI is pretty terrible, having to switch between location, action, and people for every move you make is extremely frustrating. The translation is very bad. The illustrations are ok, but nothing to write home about at this point.
  10. 1.00 star(s)

MavisFeatherlight

The game concept is good and the graphic design is okay but holy shit I get a lot of ren'py errors and game breaking bugs.
    If he fixed it all, it would easily be a 4 star rating, but in its current state I would advise against playing it
  11. 2.00 star(s)

Kuzero

I'm giving 2 stars since I feel like there are some nice things under the rubbish, but to be honest I gave up less than one hour in.
    Too laggy and slow.
    Too much bug and crash (yes, I was less than one hour in and I already feel that...)
    Too much over-explanation (tutorial being 10 times longer than they have any right to be)
    + a bunch of other things but overall I would say you need real patience and perservence to go through this game.

Maybe an extra note that I found the english surprisingly poor. Feels closer to MTL than anything else, and not the good kind of MTL.
  12. 1.00 star(s)

Hynegard

Do you enjoy error screens? Then boy is this game for you. This game is chalk full of bugs that go years without being addressed.

Started the grocery story quest line on day 1? Can't save anymore.

Try to play cards with a girl without enough relations? Error screen.

Try to fuck a girl with black hair? More error screen.

As for content... It's barren. Just stick with HHS.
  13. 1.00 star(s)

notecrash

It's a mess....

I can see the ideas that this game is trying to go for, but the execution is just not there. The lag, bugs, untranslated bits, bad translation, unintuitive UI, the pointlessness of several mechanics...

Getting vibes that this is one of those cases where the dev is being too ambitious and is trying to do too many things at the same time. Take a step back and focus on doing fewer things but well instead of too many and badly.
  14. 1.00 star(s)

Roadroller

Every time I see an update for this game I get my hopes up that someone must be working on it.
    Turns out, nope. It's the same buggy unplayable mess that I played before. It's not a bad idea, even if the characters are a bit meh. But even still, it's hard to rate a game on what it could be if it would let me play it without bugs.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Justbeast

I watched the game for a long time, and then I got tired of it. However, after a long time I saw an advertisement for the game on one of the sites and decided to see what had changed. To be honest, the result surprised me. For more than a year, the game has changed dramatically: more content has been added, the plot, the game balance has noticeably improved (previously, it was literally possible to break the game and balance at some points in a few days), difficulty levels have been added, the AI of the game has been improved. A huge number of changes.

I thought that the game would have a certain share of fans, but after noticing the reviews, I was even more surprised - such an assessment is extremely low for a game of this quality. Of course, there are bugs in it, errors in the translation of the game, but this is a great game, improving every day. I will be waiting for the release and I really hope that the developer will withstand all the negativity that he received in a huge amount for a long time, because I think it feels terrible.
  16. 2.00 star(s)

Gaboo90

Game has a lot of error in both console android and pc, and hard to play when I reviewed some comments, sex content hard to achieve , graphics seems good, but there a lot of options that can make you lost and confused..this game not meant to be for f95 rather than..anyway for me 2 Star enough
  17. 2.00 star(s)

Nadekai

Game has massive potential, but most of it is locked behind paywall...
    I managed to find few bugs which allowed me to bypass some systems... which is another reoccurring theme... bugs, tons of them. Imagine having small boobs locked behind lock wall.... what a rip off :mad:
  18. 1.00 star(s)

Avit

unplayable games and filled with bugs, new game or continue all buged, lastest version i able to play the game was around V 0.6 something then after that the game pretty much deadge already.........................
  19. 3.00 star(s)

DMSTS

[v0.940]
    Good to kill time, but h-content is very basic.

-Story, Originality
    You are in school.
    Learn, work, bang.

-Renders
    Okayish art and variations depending on npc's looks.

-Sound
    Basic sounds and music.

-Playability
    As any simulator it will take a lot of time to progress and get something out of it.

-Performance
    Runs like an average Ren'Py game.
    And have alot of bugs.

-Bugs
    You can get it anywhere depending on your playstyle and choises.Everyone will mostly have unique bugs.

-Animations
    Changing images.

-Voice Acting
    No voices (Or were there?).

-Grammar
    Didn't see any mistakes.

-Amount of content
    A lot to do, but h-aspect is very basic and lack variations.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

ItsHard

it's a good game, even though rough at the edges.
    From the graphics and the story everything is very well made, and maybe one of a most excellent idea gaming genre.

it maybe lag here and there, but what can i say, it's unfinished game. Let's just hope the developer isn't gonna abandon this project :)