Screen Flickering

karleeles

Dec 1, 2017
I was wondering if anyone could help me please?

I have just got a brand new Acer laptop and when i play games off this site the picture keeps flickering black whenever i advance. I have tried a few different games like WVM, Sunshine Love and AOA Academy and it does it on all of them. It doesn't do it every time but it does it enough to make it quite annoying. I never had any problems playing games from this site on my old HP laptop.

I have googled solutions, updated my drivers and changed my refresh hertz to 60 but nothing has worked so far. Is it a problem with my laptop or is there something i can do to fix it?

Sorry, i'm not very good with technical stuff so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Reactions: RedRoajs1

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Is it only happening during animations or just randomly at any point? If it's the former, it could be on the dev's side (e.g. not putting a still render before and after the animation, but I doubt it with games at that scale). It could be Ren'py and the graphic acceleration. Trying hitting Shift + G, and play with the renderers to see if the problem persists with any of them.

Beyond that, I'm not sure it's anything related to Ren'py. Not sure what your laptop is running, but it could very well be that as well.

karleeles

Dec 1, 2017
It just happens randomly, it only seems to do it when i am in fullscreen. i have ust tried it in windowed mode and it hasn't flickered so far.

My laptop is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1, CPU @ 1.00GHz. I have 8gb Ram and 1TB SSD. Intel(R) UHD Graphics Device

If it is my laptop i will take it and get it changed as i have only had it a few weeks. I just thought i would ask on here first

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Well, again, you can try fidgeting with the renderer in Ren'py. But faulty laptops certainly do exist. It could be a bad connection to the display, or a number of things in between. If you have the ability to take it back/exchange it, I probably would. Just to err to the side of caution.

karleeles

Dec 1, 2017
I have just messed around with the settings after using Shift + G and i think i have sorted it. I chose the Force Angle/DirectX Renderer and it seems to have worked. I have just played a few minutes and it didn't flicker at all, i have only tried WVM at the moment but so far so good.

Thank you very much, i really appreciate your help . I wouldn't of been able to sort that without your reply

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I have just messed around with the settings after using Shift + G and i think i have sorted it. I chose the Force Angle/DirectX Renderer and it seems to have worked. I have just played a few minutes and it didn't flicker at all, i have only tried WVM at the moment but so far so good.

Thank you very much, i really appreciate your help . I wouldn't of been able to sort that without your reply
No problem at all. There were some having trouble with messed up text and changing the renderer worked for them, and seeing that this is a newer laptop with a visual problem, I figured it was worth a shot before you had to go through the trouble of returning it. Glad it helped. :)

Krylo Zagato

May 23, 2019
This thread is 2 years old, but I just ran into a similar problem on my new Acer laptop. When using Shift+G the "Renderer" setting was set to automatic. I switched it to "Force Angle/DirectX Renderer" and the flickering seems to have stopped. Replying in case anyone else runs into this in the future.