• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Blender Searching for assets.

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
So..After a lot of trial and error in daz I decided that the 'genre' I'm most interested in creating renders in is to resemble boudoir photography. Realistic, monochrome or otherwise. That of course extends to a lot of work/tools from character creation, posing, postwork and a whole lot of research into camera settings and lighting. Whether the render is done in Daz or Blender (I do think that cycles offers better and faster results than iray but needs a lot of tweaking beforehand).

So far both workflows seem to work good enough for me, even if I still have a lot to learn (like how to get daz's vellus hair to transfer through diffeomorphic and rendered in cycles) but what I find myself stuck at is actually the assets. I want to have a 50's to 60's feel to it. Imagine Marilyn Monroe or Lauren Bacall or Audrey Hepburn and you're in the right ballpark.

I do not want look alikes but what I'm actually searching for are hairstyles/clothes/accessories/the works. I haven't managed to find any so far that are for g8f or g8.1f and I'm not sure hairstyles for g3f or earlier would even work (not to mention that even the g3f ones look bad. But at least they go for the general style)

I'll be posting some images for the kind of hair/clothing styles I have in mind, in case someone knows of an asset that can help, because I have no idea how to make custom hair and I'm really bad at using clo3d or marvelous designer.

So..here we go.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Since I'm on the phone more images will be added later once I can access my pc. But here's a couple of outfits to give you an idea of the style I'm after.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Of course, the last two outfits are period pieces from star trek DS9 and definitely not accurate. I'd prefer accuracy but even if it's something like that, attempting to resemble such outfits, I'd be fine with it.

As for accessories I will post images once on pc, but an example would be the cigarette holder in the first image under the hairstyles spoiler, being held by Audrey Hepburn.

Thanks in advance for any kind of suggestions I might recieve.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Feel like you didn't dig enough.
For hairs comes to mind but there is plenty more. For Audrey Hepburn type of hair, Daz strand-based hair could work, if you are brave enough. There is also lot of 50s, 60s or retro clothes/props, it's just too much to make proper a list. Try searching with proper keywords (Retro, 50s/60s, Gangster, Noir, Jazz, Mafia, Prohibition, even kinda adjacent era like victorian and so on). Even if the asset is quite old and crappy there always a way to make it shines, totally unworkable assets are rather rare. Looking outside Daz assets as well (cars, buildings, shops, restaurants....). Vellus Hair gonna be a bit tedious to 1:1 with Cycles as displacements map doesn't use same metrics that UberShader use iirc. For lightening and postwork, I would take everything from the Noir films era I guess.

El crapito 1 year old render:

lolipop.png

Last edited:
Reactions: atheran

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
Feel like you didn't dig enough.
Honestly? I did, but I find searching for stuff in Daz marketplace extremely hard for some reason. Those keywords will most likely help though, thank you for that. Took a look at that vendor for hair and it definitely has some good ones there, I'm looking forward to trying them out but the basic strand hair..meh. I'll search for a tutorial or something, but I doubt I have the knowledge/patience to attempt to groom them.

As for the vellus hair and Blender, I was looking for a way to make them useable through diffeomorphic, like it works for the normal hair assets with no luck so far. Think it's better/easier to just drop them during the transfer and create custom vellus hair in Blender instead?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
There is that architectural style proper to that era that could help but I have a memory loss. Like come on o_O.

But yeah, I think Daz now broke assets, and not really well tagged. If you add Renderosity, Renderhub, Gumroad, Renderotica and so on, it's quite a nightmare. Daz strand-based hair can work, and with correct hair density (around ~100/150k) but like everything Daz it's quite tedious (ain't no XGen).

For Vellus Hair, I'll be honest I never liked it, people tend to overdo it a lot imho. Until that shader came up, clever & sober, great job. That said if the goal to make a game, I would focus on assets gathering before thinking about it, it's something that you can weight later imo (either imported or Blender solution).

Last edited:

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
I'm not making a game, just a series of boudoir/period piece renders. I'd love to make a game but a game needs a lot of renders. And my 5 year old laptop with a 6800HQ and 970m isn't cutting it with a max of 1-2 renders per day.

The reason behind it, besides some hopefully cool renders is for me to learn Daz proper and possibly a workflow to Blender with the goal being to creating renders that are as realistic as possible, looking as if they were taken with a camera in the mid 20th century. For the most part, going over a camera/lens specs and emulating them (much easier on blender than Daz Iray) with some minor postwork with PTlens in photoshop is giving a good enough result. Add some imperfections like lens dust and/or scratches and the effect is there. The hard part is making the base render look 'alive' enough. Even with 8.1 and good shaders, skin looks to be almost there, but the face is deep into the uncanny valley.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
970m. Eeesh, quite tight.

I would like to share your enthusiam for Cycles tho, but what do you want to achieve here? Especially for few renders. Feel like you're shooting yourself in the foot.