desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Yes, there is an introduction.
how do you trigger it? Or did i simply fail to remember her introduction..? For me throne room just seems bugged or incomplete. There Report tab only has the same single info it always had and current tasks was the blank page the whole game. Im on week 22 or so.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
So i feel like im nearing the end of the current release, and wanted to chime in with my thoughts. The writing and dialogue in this game is superb for the most part. I just have one gripe on the script and that is Rowan's character is too pigeonholed from the very start to be a good boy. Plus, his dialogue and inner monologues doesnt change much at all throughout the game despite the fact that he commits despicable actions all the time. You can play him as ruthless and corrupt as you can make him, but he still thinks like a goody two shoe hero. This might be because I picked "biding my time" near the beginning, but im not so sure. Making him gradually lose morals(if you pick the evil actions) is one way to fix his character developement, but that is a harder way that requires multiple script for like every single part of the game. I think the game would improve alot if you start Rowan off in a more neutral position. His backstory is already that of a clever cunning rogue type character during the previous war, so it wouldnt be a stretch to make him a reluctant hero archetype and not some kinda lawful good paladin. That kind of background would flow a lot smoother when you choose to commit atrocious acts.

Right now you can cheat on your wife 3 times a day, burn villages down, and murder babies, and the game is constantly reminding you how bad you feel about it. Im like HEY DIPSHIT, you didnt have to commit those acts if you are gonna feel like that wtf? If the character is neutral from the start, you can focus the dialogue for the evil actions to convey that Rowan is losing morals/doing the most effective thing to get the job done instead of describing his trembling hand and churning stomach.

The game is freaking awesome though with so much content and potential when all the gameplay mechanics are fleshed out. Oh, please dont grey out choices after roll back and lose the dice rolls please. It has no place in renpy engine when we can just save/load to bypass those. Pass/fail system with this many stats/skills and low exp gains might be a disaster but im sure some other method could be worked out.

Reactions: TheSexinati

TheHiddenOne

Aug 5, 2017
The post above me got me thinking.

When I played the game I also noticed that Rowan keeps seeing himself as a hero (sort of) even if he does his dark duties.
But then I noticed that he has no reason to stop seeing himself as a hero, in fact if you play the "evil" routes he *should* keep this believe (or go insane).

He keeps rationalizing everything he does. He is jsut following orders, prevents worse - everything for the greater good.
And this is exactly what most vilains actually do. The fact that he does not admit to himself that he does pretty dispicle things by his own choice is the true pathway to evil. He has a choice, but he doesn't want to face the cost of that choice, he lets other people suffer and sacrifices his integrity for relative safety and comfort. But he keeps telling himself that he does not have a choice, so that he does not have to actually justify his actions.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
yea that way of looking at things is valid too, but the main problem is that it limits the type of characters you can roleplay. Im sure there were Nazi officers like Rowan, but there is still a limit to how much you can push this type of char and still make it believable.

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
Rowan is an actual protagonist as opposed to a blank slate. There are decisions you can make about him and his nature. About his fetishes, about his willingness to indulge in utilitarian choices. There is no protagonist so full you can't project anything to him. That said, on the spectrum of identification, Rowan is a more distinct character with more distinct motivations then most similar games feature. This is not a bug. This is a feature.

TheHiddenOne

Aug 5, 2017
yea that way of looking at things is valid too, but the main problem is that it limits the type of characters you can roleplay. Im sure there were Nazi officers like Rowan, but there is still a limit to how much you can push this type of char and still make it believable.
According to my history lessons, survivors recollections and some research on my own, the vast majority was actually thinking that.
The problem is, nearly no-one sees himself as bad or misguided. They either see themselves as people who have to
make harsh decisions because of the harsh circumstances or as people who generally want the best for "the people".

To see yourself as evil you need to truly accept a set of morality and ethic rules and then act in opposition of the morals you believe in yourself.

I think it is harder to create a believable character who seems himself as evil than to create a believable character who sees himself as a victim of circumstances who rationalizes his atrocities away.
Rowan is human and not some sort of demon. (And there are many works of literature who say that the fallen
angels themselves do not believe that they are evil...)

Sorry for the long post, but the matter of evil, morality and self-view in media is very fascinating for me ^_^

darkjoker13

Jul 7, 2017
can anyone give me a save? I play and it's over in 22week
because this game used a lot of English skill and my English skill was suck

Pink Man

Jun 21, 2018
Freezes on mac version after Helayna sparring session "Rowan didn't have the heart to answer her." There is an "Exception: Possible infinite loop."

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Exception: Possible infinite loop.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/main_loop.rpyc", line 37, in script call
��π��w�ir���;M�<Gw/�+YJ��b��w{36+Ĥ��{���@o�߾��G�{��>M��; 7b.g��b���ƥ��5��j�qb�oHv?��]�4e�����x�~��!��m�ob�C�i�S�|�>�R�i���`��0�����'�Z�#��w�Q<y,�3o!����p����m
File "game/locations/rowans_chambers.rpyc", line 2, in script
���#��o�c�+i��q���/}�����=˜���%�bZ;�y(ߣ���}���6�;���=�o��ꏧi���t�LF���F�e�Q[�A�����5��cmNZ}O___�/0O�M��
File "/private/var/folders/lq/d_gl52kn3sb7kk8v2mbb_94c0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/5B0A1489-75BA-40EA-9A10-12A38396C5D9/d/seeds-of-chaos.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/execution.py", line 58, in check_infinite_loop
raise Exception("Possible infinite loop.")

Darwin-17.7.0-x86_64-i386-64bit
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
Seeds of Chaos 0.2.36
Wed Sep 19 19:40:45 2018

Reactions: Legion88

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
@JadeKitten I'm sorry to hear that. Please be on the look out for Lord Arioch's upcoming game Jessica's Curse. That one will have a female protaganist!

Aug 26, 2016
Anyone have access to the the shaya dance image that got posted on the Dev's site recently? If so, would you mind sharing it with your fellow peg-legged parrot aficionados? :^)

Pink Man

Jun 21, 2018
Hello, I'm really keen on the workaround for this error, I can't progress without solving it.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/main_loop.rpyc", line 37, in script call
��π��w�ir���;M�<Gw/�+YJ��b��w{36+Ĥ��{���@o�߾��G�{��>M��; 7b.g��b���ƥ��5��j�qb�oHv?��]�4e�����x�~��!��m�ob�C�i�S�|�>�R�i���`��0�����'�Z�#��w�Q<y,�3o!����p����m
File "game/locations/rowans_chambers.rpyc", line 2, in script
���#��o�c�+i��q���/}�����=˜���%�bZ;�y(ߣ���}���6�;���=�o��ꏧi���t�LF���F�e�Q[�A�����5��cmNZ}O___�/0O�M��
File "/private/var/folders/lq/d_gl52kn3sb7kk8v2mbb_94c0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/5B0A1489-75BA-40EA-9A10-12A38396C5D9/d/seeds-of-chaos.app/Contents/Resources/autorun/renpy/execution.py", line 58, in check_infinite_loop
raise Exception("Possible infinite loop.")

4.00 star(s) 162 Votes