Self voicing RPG's

Cooling Prob

Mar 7, 2019
Hi everybody

I was just wondering is it possible to self voice a RPG game like you can VN's with windows self voicing? Thanks.

Last edited:

Crooked13th

Jan 24, 2022
I am not clear on what you're asking. Are you asking if it's possible to use a text-to-speech system like Windows', in order to record voice lines for a game?

Crooked13th

Jan 24, 2022
I mean.. you could, but I advise against it. Standard TTS (like that in windows) has a very robotic quality about it. It's very easy to tell that it isn't natural speech due to the lack of intonation and contextual cadence. In other words.. it lacks all the magic of tailored voice acting, which is the primary point of VA in games.

I could be wrong, but I expect most people would prefer to have no VA, compared to TTS audio. Personally, if the VA was TTS, that would completely shatter any chance of immersion and would just end up being distracting. So I'd just mute it anyway.

Having said that.. there are more advanced options for TTS that could possibly, maybe, potentially be acceptable and even "pass as real" in some contexts. They are mostly paid, however, and not free. And the quality varies wildly. The only one I am familiar with is a service called CyberVoice (It was used last year to create synthetic voice lines in Geralt's voice for a mod quest, and it was impressive).

Surgy

Modder
Apr 23, 2018
There is also approaches with with to someone else's.
Not sure if it is at a practically useful stage though.