VN - Ren'Py - Shadowed Origin [v0.1a] [Shadowed Origin]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Loon Moolay

Shadowed Origin review
    Review for version "v0.1a"

The story of the game is about an unnamed female protagonist whose father is the ceo of ascientific company aimed at evolutionary advances and how they create a substance that will evolve humans, giving them superpowers, at the expense of human experimentation and breaking moral norms.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Despite being a generic interactive visual novel, the game features a "skill points" system of sorts. Where picking certain dialogue choices gives you a "point" in the stat it's tagged. For example, picking an "intelligent" dialogue choice gives a point in the intelligent stat. The stats are mostly used for skillchecks, think of it as wrpg or a tabletop rpg game.

Speaking of dialogue, the game's terrible writing is all over the place. It's very inconsistent. Sentences may or may not start with a capital letter. Character's actions interchange between first and third person, and when they are in the same text as the dialogue, it's kind of hard to tell where the action begins and ends. Mistakes that range from minor things to very noticeable. I advise the developer to completely rework the formatting of the text in the game.

The character design and enviroments it's were it gets interesting. The characters are fine, their facial expressions and posing are not; there's definitely room for improvment. Now for the enviroments, I wanna start by saying that I admire the developer's efforts. The enviroments, especially at the mansion, are very clashing. My theory is that the developer couldn't get any rooms that looked the way they wanted, it didn't stop them so they chose other enviroments and tried integrating them into the story. This is the type of effort that shouldn't be belittled. The developer tried their best to stick to his intended vision of the game with the resources he has access to. Now, does this take away quality points or does it make them look like they wanted to rush something and get money quick? That's up to you.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

TheZelenkov13

Good little game, personally i like the blend between fully 3D and static sprite types. its really funny too, The bold guy would make a pretty good Saitama from OPM lmao. There are choices which seem to increase things like your lust, charm and others but i hope they play a bigger role in the story in the future.

Renders are great, and writing is good too. dialogue is pretty good.

not much sex in the game and i'm hoping for FUTA and lesbian content!
    overall nice game.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

Joe Steel

Characters here are on the verge of uncanny valley - lumpy, with weird faces and facial expressions. 2/5

The text can't decide whether to address this in the first person, second person, or third person. That makes the narrative seem disjointed. 2/5

Story kinda rips off Fallout, what with the FEV, but that works because we can kind of imagine that this is all taking place in the FO universe, before the war. 4/5

Pacing and dialogue is terrible. Lots of awkward phrasing and lots of uninteresting scenes that add nothing to the story. Stops right when the boring stuff ends and the good stuff looks like it is about to start. 2/5

This is not a very good example of how to present a demo. Dev should start the story when it is underway, not stop it as it gets underway. Trim out all of the non-essential material that just delays the start of anything interesting.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

tbag54

Even though it's still in its early stages, I wanted to drop a review to give the developer some encouragement. First off, the dialogue is absolutely top-notch, and the animations are impressively smooth. And can we talk about the characters? They're all incredibly attractive, even the monsters, hehe. the story is a breath of fresh air which is a refreshing change from what you typically see in Ren'Py games. Looking forward to seeing how this game develops!