VN Ren'Py Shag the Hag (Game Development Thread)

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
SHAG THE HAG.png
Hi!
UPDATE: I'm working on some additional scenes and images and everything is going well. While I missed Halloween, it won't be by much!

UPDATE 18/12/2019: Totally in the final stretch. I rendered a bunch of new scenes and am just doing the last few renders to go with the absolutely endgame final scene. Oh. And the player death scenes. :D My tentative goal is to have it done early Jan (latest), or I'll cry real frustrated tears.

UPDATE 22/12/2019: Final Boss confrontation scenes have been completed. Now just need to do the post script endings and death scenes. All mechanics are also being tested. Tweaked some of the stat requirements to reduce the "grind" feel to a minimum.

UPDATE 02/01/2020: Added some filler renders. Still testing some of the mechanics. Added a "shortcut" screen so players don't need to go the long way every time to their destination. Completed side-event images (serial killer, goblin, jogger and hobo - one of these involves a sex scene, and I promise it's not the goblin...). Still working on death scene renders, which should be the last renders required, unless I choose to add a few more fillers to keep it pretty.

UPDATE 05/01/2020: Completed all death scene renders. Now finishing coding everything in and beginning testing. So close!

UPDATE 28/01/2020: Recoding a few scenes for pacing. Adding some more renders where required to make them less repetitive/static. Added render of player holding a cat, because <insert pussy joke here>.

L8ERALgames (that's moi), is a fresh new creator devoted to releasing completed Visual Novel games. Looking ahead, I'd like to release smaller, tighter games, which focus on character development and story. I will also not be releasing games until they are finished and would only subsequently release any required bugfixes (hey, we all make typos...).

With that in mind, I'd like to offer you a sneak glimpse of what's coming within the next few weeks from us!

Thus, I present: Shag the Hag.

Shag the Hag is a Ren'Py Visual Novel game developed in time for Halloween release and features a random-generated prose-style game to enhance both the characters and the mood of the adventure.

In Shag the Hag, you will meet the poor cursed inhabitants of the nearby woods which you explore while suffering Insomnia. You will no doubt also encounter joggers, hobos, goblins, serial killers, and trolls. But those are just minor distractions which may or may not make you lose your lives...

MAIN PLOT
Nakita and Yelena are suffering under the curse of a local necromancer and only a local witch knows how to defeat him. There's obviously only one way to resolve this. You'll have to shag the hag!

MAIN CHARACTERS
Nakita the Zombie

She loves eating the entrails of hikers and instagrammers, watching you tidy her grave, and snuggling with her teddy bear. Be gentle. It's her first time being romanced.

Yelena the Vampire
Vampires don't get much prettier. She's been around a while, too, so just let her bite you a bit, and I'm sure you'll get along just peachy. Well. Unless you say the wrong thing. Then she'll just eat you. But you'll still have a few more lives left, right?

Daphne the Hag
She's a sweet old biddy, but a bit sad and she knows you don't find her warty green skin very attractive. Just close your eyes and it'll be over real quick. Won't it?

Morrigan
She's cute as a button and great for controlling your mouse population.

GAME FEATURES
  • A 5-lives system similar to arcade games. Don't use them all at once or the game is over!
  • 10 levels of RPG mightiness! Will you max out strength, speed, or lust first? Hmmm... The choices.
  • Acheevs! Don't we all like to feel a sense of accomplishment?
  • A rich random-based prose system which ensures those long walks, daily interactions, and explorations provide a reasonable level of variety.
  • No currency system. Work sucks, right?
  • A mix of full-renders and traditional RPG character renders over static backgrounds to provide a high number of poses and variety.
ANIMATIONS
I may not be able to add animations to this game, but I am working on them for the next game in my armory as I am still learning animation and would like to have decent quality over cheap-looking animations given the (I hope you agree) rendering quality. While I appreciate animations are cool in those special scenes, I wanted to make a pure visual novel to start with.

Check out some images below and look out for Shag the Hag this Halloween!

And, if you're suitably interested, please check me out on . I'd love your support for this, and future games.

Last edited:

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Today, I finished the last of the renders. I might do one or two as I go along to fill some oddball moments in the story, but I'm officially in final testing phase! Is that alpha, beta, gamma or zeta? Who knows? Who cares? Final testing! Woot!

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Rewriting a little of the ending to fix up some pacing. I'd have liked to have done some animations, but might leave off doing those until the next game where they'll be more suitable. The complex lighting etc in this game makes the animations... difficult to render.

But, I still hope it's enjoyable!

Have a bonus render! nw_basement_27.png

Reactions: Jenzi800

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
final_shag_4.png

Here's a bonus scene from the Aftermath sequence, for those of you who didn't die in the final confrontation...

Reactions: Jenzi800