Should I start using Unity?

EchiSoft

Nov 30, 2023
Can someone tell me if it is advisable to start using Unity as a video game engine for a small developer like me?

After all the controversy that arose with download charges, many say that they will leave Unity, and I am a little afraid about that...
I'm planning to make a 3D game with bright, anime-style graphics, you know, with stylized grass like in Genshin Impact XD, and I think Unity would be ideal... I look forward to your advice.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Can someone tell me if it is advisable to start using Unity as a video game engine for a small developer like me?

After all the controversy that arose with download charges, many say that they will leave Unity, and I am a little afraid about that...
I'm planning to make a 3D game with bright, anime-style graphics, you know, with stylized grass like in Genshin Impact XD, and I think Unity would be ideal... I look forward to your advice.
The fee structure will (almost assuredly) never affect you.

You can use the Personal version of Unity for free as long as you earn less than $100,000 in the previous 12 months on your product developed on Unity.
1701369340345.png
Should you ever find you must upgrade - your fees are capped at 2.5% of the product's monthly gross revenue. If you're making $8,100 per month, $200 isn't a major expense.

May 3, 2018
If you are just starting game dev, look into Godot. They've added a ton of new 3D features and improvements in their latest release and are totally free. They are what a lot of Unity devs jumped ship to.

I don't see why anyone would START using Unity at this point. The dev team has proved they are untrustworthy. They walked back the latest thing to cause people to be upset, but I guarantee they'll do it again in the future. Why become tied up in that?

Plus, as a former Unity user myself since about 2010, they are the WORST for introducing a new feature or new way of doing something, keeping it in beta, getting it 75% of the way to completion, then stopping work on that feature to make a NEW beta feature that does the same thing, and then don't totally finish THAT feature.

Look into Godot, look in Unreal (even though it is going to move to a subscription model in 2024 sometime), look into ANYTHING but Unity. It was a good idea and a good engine, and the devs were too unfocused and too greedy to avoid driving the whole damn thing into a ditch.

Unity is on fire. Don't go into a burning building.

Valagost

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2018

Unity is great, particularly if you are a c# developer. However, there is a learning curve. You'll need to learn the Input, UI & Animation systems to start. If you have some $$$ to invest, I would suggest searching the asset store for utilities that might give you a jump start.