Ren'Py - Shuggerlain [v0.69.2] [Taifun Riders]

1. 5.00 star(s)

eggsdeebenedict

This game is just great. Development is perhaps slow but the quality continues to increase over that time and I'm excited to see where it ends up.

Each character is wonderfully archetypical with a bunch of variety in secondary characters too. I can't think of another game where I struggled to have a favourite as much as this one.

The story is actually not too bad, pretty bare bones but definitely enjoyable. I think it could use a lot more group scenes which we are actually seeing as the game gets into the final act. It's much better when the characters interact as their simplistic and playersexual nature can sometimes get in the way of the writing when they talk with the MC

I think with a single narrative pass once the game is done the character interactions could be much more fleshed out, as the beginning didn't even have idle animations for the characters and the devs are focused on the scenes and more content the potential for improvement is actually quite significant.

The scenes continue to improve, and even though some are better than others on the whole they continue to impress me. The end of the game should have some very impressive stuff in store if Space Paws is any indication, and I hope the devs take the time to actually give the final act the attention it deserves.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

dailydanny

This is a really great game. I enjoyed the first Taifun's release a lot and I am eagerly waiting for every new update. Many interesting girls, many interesting events, great gameplay, this deserves much more credit than it has.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Gegecucu

Very good game!

- The art is very nice! Drawings (character designs and environment) are good-looking and the animations are smooth and very well done. Top notch!
    - Characters are interesting and we quickly get to like them.
    - Overall & characters' stories are interesting, with some 'refreshing' twists. We laugh, we are moved, we are interested in characters, ...
    - Minigames are fun and bring some variety in the game

Good work, looking forward to the next updates
  4. 4.00 star(s)

iron4doves

v0.61.1
    I like the game play, I like the story, I like the writing, I like the art, I like the animations, I like the characters (good and evil), I like the music, etc. This game is so close to a 5 star game, but it really needs a bit more attention on the H scene side to make it so, which is unfortunately the most crucial part. I was honestly tempted to push this down to 3 stars but it is really a well put together title, it's just not doing it for me (but it's frustratingly close do doing so lol).
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
    Also, I just want to add that I was quite tickled by the thought of "post-nut-clarity armor" as a game mechanic lol.

I must also say that I ended this game quite early once I determined that it was never going to be sexually compelling (day 6-8 in the camp). There may be more to praise or criticize but I don't have the time to experience any of it as the game stands today.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Kark-Jocke

This is my Review of v0.55.2 (Shuggerlain)
    Made by the (Taifun Riders) Team

There is a possibility that this Review will change when a new update comes later on since this game isn't finished yet.

The Story-line: 4.5/5

The best ways for a story to become amazing are five keys which are character, conflict, change, inciting Incident, and goal. The game hit me with all those five parts on the spot, which made me more interested in the story.

The story part starts with a place called "Ashtera" which is a small part of the Shuggerlain world map. A small kingdom would face an outcome that would change the world of Shuggerlain.

The main character you will be playing is one called "Nulkan" You will wouldn't all of a sudden one that can do everything, but will do whatever he can with the little he has to build up something to become the hope Shuggerlain needs and has to take decisions that would change the outcome of the story.

The start of the game has given most of the info needed to understand where you are and why. The game won't just hand out all the necessary information that would blow your mind with a tone of confusion. You learn more and more about the world the more you go around it.

Some of the story events are short. Not everyone would agree with me here and want to go on, but some conflicts aren't that easily solved so fast. I would love to spend more time in a region I haven't seen before with a few more events (if possible) before moving to a new one.

Animations and Art: 5/5

Oh boy! What can I say, whoever made the visuals/animations you owe me a new desk. I had never seen that many dents before playing this game. I can cover all other damages. So anyway, yeah the characters look absolutely amazing and well done!

I would like to see more images of the cities and locations, you're a long time on one background at a time. For example, when the text says "I moved back" I also want to see it. Like when you fight (Spoilers Warning!) against Jilliana, 3dr executer, just that image almost blows me away. I would love to see more like that! (Talking about sword fighting here people!)

When you speak with other characters the animations and movements are perfect in every single part of it. There are no errors that I have discovered so far like unwanted pixels or sharp edges. Everything is smooth and beautiful. Excellent work done here!

Some of the girls I wasn't so much into changed fast after... let's say when you get a better point of view. I loved the game has (Sex Battle) part when you can see red eyes. I'm not so much into blue eyes, since I have it myself. So seen girls with Red & Yellow eyes are amazing. When I looked into "Nadine" eyes, I just got lost in them.

I'm not that much into furry stuff level. Don't get me wrong, I love Nekomimi, Kitsunemimi, Inumimi, and so on at that level, but here. I want to say that you would rather NOT lose the opportunity if you see a furry girl. Space Paws had amazing good-looking girls and this game got me as well (Even if it's the same creators) They look absolutely gorgeous. I blaming the animations here.

Level of difficulty: 4/5

The combat section is very good when it comes to fighting soldiers, think before you use anything. Both Mama and the action point are the key part to winning the fight and the new units that comes later on.

The (Sex Battles) part is to find the spot and click. I mean click! Let your computer mouse feel it! Very difficult to give your attention to the computer mouse when you see your opponent. Resist is the key to winning (Even if it feels like a win when you lose as well) oopsy!

The day part is very difficult to understand, in no part of the game does it tell you stuff like "I must do this part before that time" Some of the event parts will cost me days, but I don't understand what I'm losing if I spend too much time in one place.

(Spoilers Warning!) Some of the events like skeletons just click like crazy as you do with the (Sex Battles) And Archer contest, just be smart. Most of everything your doing is fairly easy.

When you speak with the girl in the camp you have no limits to how many times you can fail before answering the right one, it will only cost you time which is not important in this version. I'm guessing it will change in later new updates. Hmm... enjoy while you can boys!

The sounds & Music parts: 4.5/5

Oh, yeah! This game hit most of everything right on the spot. The music made me understand what situation I was in and got me more connected to the story.

The fight part regarding the (Sex Battles) ha-ha... wow, I didn't expect it to be that good, this made it harder to resist them for sure. The (H-Scenes) are lovely and beautiful.

So you have one music part for the SB & HS, I was hoping it would have another type of music when you are together with different girls, but that didn't change my opinion about it too much.

The only thing missing is more sound effects for the character when you read. It's not like they have to say something but more like sounds when they are scared or angry at the start of the text "A small sound effects" would be nice, even if you see their facial expressions.

Overall: 4.5/5 - F95Zone Star 5 "Excellent"

I have seen many kinds of games here on F95zone, and this has to be one of my top 10 games here so far... wait, no, let's say top 3. It's that amazing and well-made I am more of the anime art type, but what (Taifun Riders) are making is way too good work to resist. You like fantasy stories with many kinds of... "special" types of girls! This is one game for you. I liked this game a little more than I expected.
  6. 4.00 star(s)

Kezza329

animations are great, smooth, and fappable!! anal content, furry, vaginal, oral, boob job etc. good nsfw portion.

now the story hasnt hooked me yet, so i often dont pay much mind to it or skip through.. however, if a story hooks me, ill read the lines upon lines of dialogue before the scene. so maybe make it a lil less tedious with the asking a million questions, aka.. ask four questions, mc gets too tired, then sleep and repeat to get date. maybe tweak it abit on the day cycle and energy drain rate. found it to be a chore, rather than enjoyable. i dont want it handed to me, cause thats boring, but i wanna enjoy it at a normal none intrusive pace.

art style is exactly my liking. suits well with the great animations, which remind me of the short flash games we'd see of our favourite tv characters. good game, writing and the overall tasks required needs reworked/tweaked to make it a lil more enjoyable/engaging.

but hey, this game is worth the pickup for the animations and art style alone. grab it.

wishlists that i had hoped it wouldve had: optional bi content/fem/traps. more beast like furries (centaurs etc).. harem scenes, night interaction scenes.

edit: okay, i take back what i said about the writing, its engaging. the chore of questions need reworked, or even more questions/activities added, cause ill get the same questions over and over.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

justtrynadownloadsumn

great game, looks a bit low effort on first impressions to begin with but it actually gets better and better as you progress. animated scenes, etc. i actually really like the lore and stuff which was unexpected.

a bit of furry content aswell, but mostly non furries. im personally not into furry content like the reviewer below me but theres not really much of that ingame either, though you do get to fuck a furry at the start of the game
  8. 4.00 star(s)

SID Gaming

As of v0.42, this game was a 6/5, seriously the best thing on this website. 2d, fully-animated (even the character sprites have idles) and animated WELL with motions that actually look natural. The girls are hot, there are plenty of them, and they all feel unique and like they live in the world and have their own agendas. The worldbuilding is great, and the story is kinda simple but effective (work your way across the continent, fighting and fucking your way into power). The "game" part is good too, alternating between mostly quizzes to get acquainted with the girls (meh, but not terrible and can mostly be skipped by buying them gifts) and turn-based combat battles which are seriously entertaining, fun but not too difficult. There's also a sex-battle mechanic which is a little more stressful but another effective way to get more high-quality content in. The soundtrack is amazing too.

So why dock a star? Well, the 0.5 update did two unforgivable things: added content that can't be accessed without restarting, and forced a choice between girls. The first won't be a problem for anyone considering starting this game, but there's so much content now (including those battles that can't just be skipped through like the text) that it's not worth replaying from the beginning for the rest of us. As for the second, this is clearly a harem game, so why for the love of god are you locking content behind branching paths? There's no way of knowing whether anything will be affected story-wise in the future picking one girl or the other, but I doubt it will be enough of a difference to once again warrant a new playthrough to try. It's worth noting that the dev actually fixed this issue in Space Paws, so maybe if enough people complain, they'll do that here too.

Final verdict: It's a great game that you should absolutely NOT play until it's completely finished. If you're already going to need to play branching paths, you don't want to replay from the start with every update too.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

ognimalf

Extremely high-quality game that deserves more popularity.
    Fantastic art and great animations throughout the game, especially h scenes. It's seriously some of the best 2D h scenes I've seen on here, especially considering the massive variety of girls you can seduce.

Gameplay is good too. I like how the gameplay itself takes many different forms depending on what you're doing at any given moment. It helps break up the monotony a ton, and elevates it way beyond just being a boring VN.

The only minor shortcomings are:
    1: The beginning, which is a little too textbox heavy.
    2: It's not always clear what to do next, where to go next or how to unlock something.
    3(?): The game is very vanilla, which is perfect for me but others might be disappointed.

Still, this is one of my favorite games on f95 and I look forward to see how it progresses.
  10. 2.00 star(s)

dickchappy420

Pretty conflicted on this one. Space Paws was one of my favorites and I went into this with high expectations which were let down massively. It has incredible hand drawn art and animated scenes with some added moans. Some of the best fap material you can find around. However, the story and "gameplay" are very lackluster and it feels like none of the charm Space Paws had made it into this.

It's so cliche it's painful. Setting is a generic fantasy world. You're the commander of an army, evil empire comes and destroys your home with only you surviving, you want revenge and go around killing all the evil generals before they carry out their evil plan to destroy the world.

I'm fine with cliche stories as long as they're executed well, but it's done incredibly poorly. There's a lot of very convenient plot devices (looking at you, demon girl who somehow knows literally everything and magical demon armor that makes everyone attracted to you) which just feel very weird and lazy. I also have some major issues with certain events which took place later on.

One of the biggest issues I had with the story was when

This might look like it has actual gameplay but it's basically just a time wasting accessory. You can win every battle by just randomly pressing buttons, there is zero strategy or brainpower required. Gameplay elements could be taken out entirely and the game would be better for it. The point and click exploration of Space Paws was infinitely better gameplay than whatever this is trying to be.

Relationships with many of the girls advance too quickly and felt completely hollow. None of it felt like actual love despite parading as it.

This is really just a visual novel with a bad story and brainless gameplay where the majority of scenes come from you grinding affection levels in the extremely limited "sandbox mode" by answering the same 4 questions they give you repeatedly. I eventually just gave up and unlocked the rest of the gallery because I completely lost interest in the story and its characters. I'd give it a 2.5 for the artists' work alone but I'm rounding it down to a 2 because the rest is unbearable.

In summary:
    Art 5/5
    Story 1/5 (it exists I guess)
    Gameplay 0/5 (it should not exist)
  11. 5.00 star(s)

The_Dragon_Reborn

Version 0.42 Hotfix is what is being reviewed.

Gonna go ahead and give this the five star treatment because of how much I enjoyed whats on offer so far. I went into this not knowing that these were the same people who made space paws, Which is up there on the favorite games list.

That was one of the games pretty early on the adult games adventure for me. This game is looking like it has potential to be even better and more engaging then that game was. I'm not saying the gameplay reinvents teh wheel, but it is gameplay. Not very challenging , but interesting enough.

The story, characters, and art are where this game shines the most though. I can't really think of too many games that do 2d animations of this style this good. Taifun riders really know what they are doing. Maybe there are some people out there who could nitpick it, but compared to most games on this site I think they blow the animations and art out of the water.

It's fucking refreshing when a dev goes the distance and doesn't just use renders or 3d models. Doesn't just use Illusion honey select animations. NOT SAYING those games can't be good, but when you keep getting the same incest games with those same honey select animations it gets boring. It loses the reason it was good.

This game I'm glad to say ooesn't do that. I will say though thereare some story aspects in particular with a certain mage that annoyed me.

But apart from that long rant I would say this game is near perfect to me. It has everythinmg going for it when it comes to my taste. I'm a huge fantasy dork and this does it for me on every level. I highly recommend playing it even at this level of development.

Join me in weeping for the wait.
  12. 2.00 star(s)

Count_Chocula

Decent visual novel, terrible H-game. Very vanilla with little variety in scenes. I liked taifun riders' last game, but this one is just way more grind and wall-of-texty than that one. The scenes are pretty boring and there's way too much in between them. To get scenes you have to grind affection with various talking options followed by walls of expository text.

I'm glad a lot of people seem to like it, but I think this review will help reflect a more accurate picture of the game overall when it's considered with the other glowing reviews. Hopefully the mods don't delete my review for going against the popular opinion, as they are commonly inclined to do.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

Beat120

Please, just play it. Even though it's built on RenPy, trivializing much of the intended gameplay, the world, characters, story, and animations are still top-notch and engaging. I found myself more immersed than I thought I'd be. Just make sure you have a decent computer or set the FPS to 30 so you don't have to deal with choppy animations since it uses Live2D to handle them.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

angususer

The story is interesting, isn't one of those games that you just keep pressing ctrl. Amazing character designs and I can't describe how perfectly the animations are.

Even though combat isn't that relevant on these games, the mechanics aren't that boring.
  15. 2.00 star(s)

AnotherLurker

The art is good, and the idea of the combat system is interesting, but holy crap the writing is terrible. The author seemingly has no understanding of pacing, tension, or the formulaic hero's journey.

Power should not just be given to anyone. You can't snap your fingers and make someone charismatic--not when your powers don't affect the audience. People don't get over the trauma of losing everything in hours, not unless they didn't value what they lost to begin with, and people don't get to hand-wave their terrible decision-making by blaming smooth-brained villains for taking hostages or making threats.

Nothing about the MC is convincing or intriguing because none of the things which are supposed to define his character are: his losses all feel like insincere afterthoughts, his power-ups feel cheap and convenient, and his companions feel equally forced into his life not because they make sense but because someone wanted them there.

I normally try to turn my brain off for games like this, but it feels like my disbelief snapped under the weight it was meant to suspend and lashed me across the face.

I'd give this one star if it wasn't so pretty.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

mrttao

+the art is superb. looks very good
    +all sex is animated and animated well
    +the waifus are wonderul
    +delicious vanilla relationships.
    +interesting story

overall this is one of the better adult games I have played in a while.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

JD59

This game is still early but I can tell the dev is putting all the effort to make it as successful as Space Paws. Great soundtrack, the animations are very well made, the gameplay mechanics are good and the story is very interesting so far. Looking forward to its completion !
  18. 4.00 star(s)

swe920

Pretty interesting game, definitely curious where it's going.

The game has some interesting story beats, and the lore is being established early on and fast. But the dialogue itself can be a bit frat bro mixed with Naruto, hard to take serious at times, especially when characters don't act in a way consistent to their personality.

But the art is great, and the animation is really good. And i like the way you get to know the girls.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Azkiger

v0.33 Review

TLDR: Great game, give it a shot, and if you enjoy it please support the developers.

This is the first game that has inspired me to leave a review, and I've lurked/been a member here for years. It's really amazing to see what Taifun Riders have done with Shuggerlain when you compare their Patreon support/resources to other games that have double or triple their amount. Their content updates seem to come quicker as well. Now, onto the (spoiler free) review.

Shuggerlain is a single path virtual novel with dead ends if you don't meet certain conditions. There is slight variations in the form of missing a sex scene or potentially a party member if you fail something or aren't attentive to your party and pass an event up, but it's generally nothing an extra playthrough or savescum couldn't solve (I had all but 2 sex scenes during my first playthrough). It also contains battle fuck fights (which as of now are essentially impossible to lose) and actual battles where armies clash. The later is quite fun and the battles are varied both in their win conditions as well as the events that take place during the fight.

Art/Animation: 5/5

I'm not sure who is responsible for the visuals but they're amazing. Like. Really. Amazing. The women are very attractive and there's a large variation of positions and number of sexual acts. The animations are fluid and top notch. In one of the latest updates Taifun Riders have even started adding in idle animations and facial expressions that relate to the events unfolding in the story. Less important, but still noteworthy, are the backgrounds, which really ground the player in the world that's being created.

Story/Plot: 5/5

It shouldn't need to be said, but a 5/5 rating here isn't to say that Tolkien himself would be impressed by the prose, character development, or worldbuilding. There's a bit of exposition/info dumps that'd make him blush as well. But... Considering the type of game this is, and the typical level of polish made in this area for most other adult games, Shuggerlain is certainly one of the better written stories.

You're given just enough of an idea of where you are and the sort of person Nulkan is before being thrust into the event that launches the story. There's enough intrigue present for you to honestly just want to find out what Taifun Riders has planned for Nulkan and company without the adult content (I'm looking at you antagonists). We're far enough into the story where the cast has gotten quite large and it's really refreshing seeing a good variety of personalities/motivations.

I would have given the story a 4/5, but one of the gripes I had about how the game's first sexual encounter (not it's content, but how fast it occurred and how close it was to the event that launched the story) was changed into something much more believable in a recent patch. I'm not sure if it was by request by Patreon supporters (I never really read comments/suggestions made there) or if they felt it needed to be changed on their own. But it's just rare to see a team go back that far into the story and make changes at this point.

Audio/Music: 5/5

There's a large variety of music here and they're very fit the environments they're assigned to well (the battle fuck theme popped into my head as I typed this section, and I've only heard it 5 or 6 times). The sex sounds are equally as amazing. So many games mess this up or simply leave it out.

Difficulty: 3.5/5

*This section might be a little harsh considering the virtual novel medium for this adult game.*

This is the games only weak spot. Difficulty generally isn't an element in some adult games, but I feel it needs to be apart of this review because of the battle fuck/army fight elements present in this game.

The battle fuck fights, as I've already mentioned, are essentially unloseable. There's only one girl I can think of who has an option where one of the sensual attacks you attempt on her actually increases her hit points instead of decreasing it. Maybe if you pressed that one option 5 or 6 times in a row you could lose, but that's about it. The army fights, however, certainly are losable, but still fairly easy (I've only lost one fight, out of all the fights in all my playthroughs, through all the versions). I think the issue here is with there not really being much of an actual battle system and you're more relegated to just choosing the best action at that point in the battle. I get that it's hard to punish wrong choices because it's not immediately apparent to citizens of the 21st century how to command a fantasy army where there's no stats outside of total number of soldiers, but I wish something else could be done here. There is a mana system present in the army battle that adds a very light layer of tactics, but that's it.

There's also dates you can take your party members on, where your progress is slowed if you answer their questions incorrectly (think Huniepop-esque questions and answers). But considering, at least as of now, you have an unlimited amount of days to keep re-asking the same questions it's less of a challenge and more of a grind.

Overall: 4.7/5

Amazing game, definitely in my top 2 here on F95zone. Their Patreon feed has ideas they'd like to implement that has me very excited (even attention to simple details - like clicking on body parts during battle fucks instead of clicking a text box). I usually don't enjoy games enough to make note of the developer's names, but Taifun Riders are certainly engraved into my mind.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

sk211

amazing, really doesnt have enough recognition. I havnt played the new update but I am glad the game isnt dead. Looking forward to it! The art style and story are pretty awesome. Really recommend checking it out!