Skin Help... Seriously annoying

TheTypist

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 7, 2017
So I've always had trouble with just this characters skin. I adjusted it following guides, and it seems the only part that wasn't changed was right on her arm(s)...
see here.
Jenni Skin.png
It's not shadows, nothing like that. Does anyone know how I can transfer her new skintone to her arms as well? I'm thinking there must be a simple copy/paste solution using the surfaces tab, but I do not know where to start. I'm seriously soo annoyed by how noticeable it is to me...

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
This is exactly where all G3 and G8 characters have the seams between the torso and the arms. Yep, definitively a problem with the surfaces.

If I understand correctly you would need to copy the 'settings' of a surface except the textures. Unfortunately there is no such thing. Only the entire surface with textures can be copied in the surface tab. Edit: corrected,

Options / Ideas:
  • compare every setting between the Torso and Arm surface, there must be something different (or the textures are broken), fix the arm to match the torso's settings
  • in the surface tab right click the Torso > 'Copy Selected Surface', to the Arm > 'Paste To Selected Surface', manually set back the correct Arm textures
  • select your characters Torso surface and temporary remove the textures, save it to a "Shader Preset..." under My DAZ 3D Library > Shader Presets > Iray > DAZ Uber > 'charactername', add back the textures to the torso and apply the saved Shader Presets to the Arms or where it's needed (not tested, I'm not sure whether this will remove/replace the existing textures, if this works it has the advantage of being reusable for this character) use the control key bring up a popup window when you apply the Shader Preset, it allows texture replacing/ignoring
  • reapply the original characters materials if they weren't modified
Yes, all solutions are suboptimal. I'm familiar with problem. Sometimes I needed a 'wet' looking character and ended up with some surfaces being more glossy than others.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
If its only showing when it is rendered check that the Translucency and the SSS Reflectance tint in the side panel are the same color for the arms as the rest of the skin. Also when you select the arms on the surfaces tab, click the little down arrow and select volume and make sure the the Transmitted color is likewise the same color as the other surfaces. To me it looks like one or more of them are different

Pain

May 15, 2017
Like f95zoneuser463 says but simpler. Create a shader preset for the torso. Then apply the shader preset on the selected arm surface while holding down the ctrl key (or was it the shift key), that way it will pop up an dialoge that lets you IGNORE textures and only apply the shader settings.

Reactions: f95zoneuser463

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Another thing I noticed is that a surface cannot be copy-pasted from one DAZ instance to another instance. It doesn't seem to use the clipboard and then a shader preset has to be used anyway.

@Pain
I wish I knew that earlier, could have saved me a lot of time. I've edited my post with your better solution. The key is control.
shader preset control popup.png