Skip when changing pc

DarkDestro

May 29, 2017
Hello! I've been playing the majority of my games on 2 different PCs depending on when or where i play the games. But the saves dont seem to be able to "skip" already read content. This is a problem for when i try to play a new game to see other routes or if i change my mind on a girl for example. Does anyone know what i can do to be able to skip already read content nomatter where i play the game?
Its mainly renply that has this issue.

Appreciate ur time :)

OEJ

'Dirth ma, harellan. Ma banal enasalin. Mar solas'
Donor
Dec 9, 2017
what you need to do is copy your renpy folder from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\RenPy
copy all the necessary game files and paste them in the other system in the same location., you need to keep doing every time you play a new update on a diff system, if its the same system as last update its not necessary for it to skip only the text you have already seen. and not the new changes or updates

Last edited:

DarkDestro

May 29, 2017
Enable developer menu mode and check option 5 --> here
Checked it out but isnt that more to skip all dialogue ? even the unread stuff?

Thanks though gonna check it out in more detail when i get the chance.

what you need to do is copy your renpy folder from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\RenPy
copy all the necessary game files and paste them in the other system in the same location., you need to keep doing every time you play a new update on a diff system, if its the same system as last update its not necessary for it to skip only the text you have already seen. and not the new changes or updates
I tried that last night but it didnt seem to work for me =/ maybe i did something wrong but imma try again later tonight.

Thanks alot!

Katsumi-chan

Denshitoakuma
Donor
May 16, 2019
Checked it out but isnt that more to skip all dialogue ? even the unread stuff?

Thanks though gonna check it out in more detail when i get the chance.

I tried that last night but it didnt seem to work for me =/ maybe i did something wrong but imma try again later tonight.

Thanks alot!
It allows any text to be skippable in game, and you are the one controlling what will be.

What text you have seen is stored in a persistent file inside the game's directory; if manually copying it alongside the saves between the two machines didn't work, as you said, then you will probably have to enable the Developer's mode. I am not aware of any other way.

Do note that some Ren'py games save data and persistent in /user/%AppData%/renpy/nameofthegame.

Reactions: DarkDestro

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Or he can simply copy the content of "[path to the game]\game\save", which is exactly the same and is generally easier to find.

What file (the one in "users\..." or the one in "[path to the game]\...") will be used depend of the date where the files have been created. Therefore it didn't worked probably because the files you copied are too old.
In this case, you need to copy one folder (either "users\..." or "[path to the game]\...") and delete the content of the other.

Reactions: DarkDestro

DarkDestro

May 29, 2017
Or he can simply copy the content of "[path to the game]\game\save", which is exactly the same and is generally easier to find.

What file (the one in "users\..." or the one in "[path to the game]\...") will be used depend of the date where the files have been created. Therefore it didn't worked probably because the files you copied are too old.
In this case, you need to copy one folder (either "users\..." or "[path to the game]\...") and delete the content of the other.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, i really appreciate that info.
I kinda figured out what happened in more detail though. I have been using a USB to move those folders, the renpy and the one inside of the game. And this time i moved my current renpy folder on the other pc but kept playing on the USB i was using without using the version on my PC. This resulted in my game not "saving" in the RENPY folder which also ment that all the progress i did for skip able wasnt saved in the renpy folder. So now i have a file for the start of the game, the mid section aswell as the end... xD
So in reality i need to gather up the persistent files and swap them out depending on where i am in the game to skip already read text.
Hopefully i didnt overrite or miss anything while doing this =/. Will be a pain but not much i can do now but to accept it and try to do the other route by swapping as mentioned before.

I atleast learned how to deal with the persistent file for future games so theres that :p. And never play the game directly from the usb...

Thanks for all your help guys.

DarkDestro

May 29, 2017

Hey. Im sorry to bother you again but, i just tried it today. It didnt seem to work for some reason o_O.
I tried a new game (still renpy) and i tried with 1 folder, still not able to skip. Tried with both folders, still not working.

Im not sure why its not properly working. I removed everything, started from scratch and it still didnt work to skip already read content. And yes this time i didnt play directly onto the usb either =/.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Hey. Im sorry to bother you again but, i just tried it today. It didnt seem to work for some reason o_O.
Hmm... Sorry, I don't see what can be the problem. It's surely something simple, but I can't put my finger on it :(

[The facts, it can perhaps help you]
Ren'py handle the skip feature by keeping track of the lines already seen. For this, it use the reference to the line into the "compiled" (it's not effectively compilation) files. And those references are stored into the "persistent" file that, on windows, is found both in "user/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/[Folder of the game]" and in "[path to the game]/game/save".

To my knowledge there's only three reasons why the skip feature will not works :
  • You haven't seen those lines yet.
  • The "persistent" file is missing.
  • The rpyc files were deleted between the moment the "persistent" file was created and the moment you play again.
But I assume that you don't expect it to skip what you haven't seen, this while you tried to move the "persistent" file and have no reason to have deleted the rpyc files.

DarkDestro

May 29, 2017
Hmm... Sorry, I don't see what can be the problem. It's surely something simple, but I can't put my finger on it :(

[The facts, it can perhaps help you]
Ren'py handle the skip feature by keeping track of the lines already seen. For this, it use the reference to the line into the "compiled" (it's not effectively compilation) files. And those references are stored into the "persistent" file that, on windows, is found both in "user/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/[Folder of the game]" and in "[path to the game]/game/save".

To my knowledge there's only three reasons why the skip feature will not works :
  • You haven't seen those lines yet.
  • The "persistent" file is missing.
  • The rpyc files were deleted between the moment the "persistent" file was created and the moment you play again.
But I assume that you don't expect it to skip what you haven't seen, this while you tried to move the "persistent" file and have no reason to have deleted the rpyc files.
Thanks for responding.
Yeah its very weird. Im trying to explore why its bugging out. It works from my stationary pc to my laptop but not the other way around i noticed. And even then it sometimes bugs out on my laptop too. But i think the main issue is from laptop to pc where theres something wrong with either my pcs directory.

Heres the tests ive done so far.
I tried only copying the persistant file into renpy after clearong the games folder of the old files including saves. Ive also tried it including the saves too. Then i also tried it in just the save file (game/saves) with the same method. It didnt work either. I going with a fully clean unzip and it didnt work either.

My conclusion is either pc or laptop is failing to "create a proper" persistance file or one of them is failing to load it properly. But i think its more likely the latter since i also checked on the size of the file and it grew while i was playing. Ao should be creating just fine.

In any case i will experiment further and make sure to write it here if im succesful incase someone else has the same issue.