Ren'Py Slow loading

Mr. MiBo

Formerly 'Bory_S'
Feb 25, 2023
I have a question about loading game saves. Here's how it goes. I started creating a game in Renpy, at first everything was fine, but the longer the game became, the longer it took to load the saves ( about 10 seconds ). The code is not complex, I would even say it is very simple, and that is why it annoys me so much. I've probably tried everything, today I even reinstalled the system and it's still the same.
Any ideas how to solve this?

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Before anne o'nymous comes in and solves it for you, I'll take a stab in the dark. Call stacks? (You use calls but don't return from them.)

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
I have a question about loading game saves. Here's how it goes. I started creating a game in Renpy, at first everything was fine, but the longer the game became, the longer it took to load the saves ( about 10 seconds ). The code is not complex, I would even say it is very simple, and that is why it annoys me so much. I've probably tried everything, today I even reinstalled the system and it's still the same.
Any ideas how to solve this?
Are you trying the game outside of the SDK environment? It's possible you have done lots of changes and what not and the Ren'py SDK is caching variables and call stacks etc. When I am working on code, I sort of have a habit of recompiling the rpcy files and also deleting any persistent variables after I do some major changes to the code.

I've never seen a long save load before though. I see lots of games that go over-board on the coding and they end up taking 2 minutes or more to load in when you first run them.

My feeling is it must be some sort of accumulative effect from coding and making changes. To troubleshoot, I would run a build off and then try and play it normally, without the SDK running. See if that makes it any faster.

I'm curious to find out what it is.