Tool Others Small list of FREE game engines and frameworks

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
As the title says, this is a small list. Going after most of the available engines would take waaaaay too much time.
The gist of the list is that ALL things listed are FREE without the need to pirate it. Most of them are also open source, which means you can personally tinker and tamper with the engine.

Sept 13 2023 edit: As Unity recently announced they want to fuck their customers without lube, I've made some additions to this list (Stride, Fyrox) and scratched Unity out. We'll see if/when/how they'll backpedal out of that.

Visual Novel:
  • Ren'Py -
  • Tuesday JS -
  • Seevn -

RPG (Maker-like):
  • (what a mouthful!) - If you ever wanted to make an RPG with a tool whose interface looks straight out of 1994, this is it! Uses FreeBASIC for programming
  • Solarus - For making action-RPGs like SNES Zelda. Uses Lua for programming

Platformer:
  • Moondust -

General Purpose:
  • - My personal favorite. The editor is less than 300mb and runs on all of the big desktop OSs. Has plenty of features for using sprite animation and bone animation. Takes a while to get used to it. The GDScript is pretty much Python. Can also use Mono/C#
  • - Not entirely free, but easy enough to learn and use. Optimization can be a problem. Keep in mind that anything from their asset store is off-limits for making games with any kind of sexual content, so you'll need to get assets elsewhere. LOL DISREGARD THAT THEY SUCK COCKS
  • - No programming required, visual scripting. Though you'll still need to know logic and stuff to make your game work.
  • - If you ever wanted a Game Maker clone, this is the closest you'll get. It can be an absolute pain to set up. The project feels half abandoned (probably is), though their github is kinda-sorta active, probably only 1 person maintaining it at this point. Massive kudos to whoever they are!
  • - If your programming skills are entirely in Pascal, this is what you'll want to use. (Fun fact: stuff written in Pascal tends to compete toe to toe with C and C++ in speed. (I wish I knew that and other tidbits about Pascal back in 2008, like how it was the language used to make Jazz Jackrabbit >_>))
  • - Possibly the best alternative for making 3D games if you're good with C#. MIT license, so they're never going to pull a Unity on your ass
  • - Rust based engine, allows for both 2D and 3D development. MIT license

Frameworks (these are programming libraries that have most of the heavy lifting done, so to speak. Ignore these if you don't want to spend the majority of your time typing code)
  • - Make games using Lua and nothing else. People complain that Lua's slow, but really, you'll be fine. Lua's usually equivalent to Python so, unless you're planning on making your game throw over 9000 particle effects per frame, it'll run better than javascript and anything using electronJS
  • - A java game programmer's best friend. Two games I enjoy a lot were made with it: Unciv and Mindustry.
  • - A C# game programmer's best friend. Some grognards might remember how it originated off XNA
  • * - Not free, but you can get a free license under certain circumstances (near the bottom of the page). I got one since I did qualify and Amir did reply with the link very quickly. Still haven't gotten around toying with it, as I never worked with Ruby before.
  • - For those of you that want an alternative to SDL2. Works with a fuckload of languages, from the common (C family, Java) to the uncommon (Crystal, Nim, D) to the utter arcane (Gforth, OCaml). Also works with FreeBASIC, so you can probably mix it with that OHRRPGCE from above, if you're brave!

Last edited:

VeritasLex

Feb 6, 2020
Hi there,
I am looking for a program. I want to overlay text over an image and with one click display the next text. But in such a way that the old text disappears.
I want to do the same with images so that a click shows the next image.
So I would like to be able to display text and image at the same time again with one click.
Videos should also be inserted in between. How many games on this platform.
And my English is not good and I am writing with a translator. That's why I can't find anything on Google.

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
Hi there,
I am looking for a program. I want to overlay text over an image and with one click display the next text. But in such a way that the old text disappears.
I want to do the same with images so that a click shows the next image.
So I would like to be able to display text and image at the same time again with one click.
Videos should also be inserted in between. How many games on this platform.
And my English is not good and I am writing with a translator. That's why I can't find anything on Google.
If I understood what you meant correctly, you want to make a visual novel: click to show image or video + text.
Most of those engines can do that, but for all cases you'll have to learn how to use them. See if you can find any tutorials about RenPy, Twine or TuesdayJS in your native language

Reactions: VeritasLex

VeritasLex

Feb 6, 2020
If I understood what you meant correctly, you want to make a visual novel: click to show image or video + text.
Most of those engines can do that, but for all cases you'll have to learn how to use them. See if you can find any tutorials about RenPy, Twine or TuesdayJS in your native language
Thank you very much

Bubbline

Jul 22, 2022
I'm making a visual novel/narrative RPG engine called narrat, any chance it could get added to the list? :3

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
I'm making a visual novel/narrative RPG engine called narrat, any chance it could get added to the list? :3
Ditch Electron for something more lightweight, like Tauri.js, Neutralino or Sciter-JS and you're on ;)

Mirfakk

Jul 27, 2018
I was looking for something like moondust for a while. I'm starting to use it and I'm in love. Thanks for this thread.