Smooth animations in "City of Broken Dreamers" - How?

Dec 27, 2019
Hello all! :)

"City of Broken Dreamers" contains some of the smoothest (albeit short) animations I have seen so far in a Ren'py game. I am referring to the ones that are very short (maybe 5-10 seconds) and just involved a non-looping character movement.

I was wondering if anyone knows for certain if these animations are just a series of still renders played by the engine at high speed OR is it an actual movie file (maybe a webm)?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mo.

Last edited:

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019

"City of Broken Dreamers" contains some of the smoothest (albeit short) animations I have seen so far in a Ren'py game. I am referring to the ones that are very short (maybe 5-10 seconds) and just involved a non-looping character movement.

I was wondering if anyone knows for certain if these animations are just a series of still renders played by the engine at high speed OR is it an actual movie file (maybe a webm)?

Mo.
A series of frames and a webm are the same thing, just one is formatted before use. The smoothness likely is from the author and his practice of rendering and the amount of frames used. I haven't played the game so I can't speak too much on the topic. The point being is its not a matter of how you put it in the game as much as it's about how you render it.

Dec 27, 2019
Thank you for the reply Kinderalpha. :)

I guess I will have to do some testing. My curiosity is with the ability of the Ren'Py engine. Playing back an already rendered webm video file is one thing versus quickly reading from disk and rendering to screen 20-30 large JPGs or PNGs to simulate a 1 second smooth animation.

Mo.

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
Thank you for the reply Kinderalpha. :)

I guess I will have to do some testing. My curiosity is with the ability of the Ren'Py engine. Playing back an already rendered webm video file is one thing versus quickly reading from disk and rendering to screen 20-30 large JPGs or PNGs to simulate a 1 second smooth animation.

Mo.
I am old school so the first thing I imagine is some amount of pre-loading may be occurring. I don't know if that is possible with Ren'Py. (edit: apparently it is)

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016

Mo.
Crack open the game and check it out yourself.
https://f95zone.to/threads/unren-ba...compiler-console-developer-menu-enabler.3083/

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion Papa E, it worked like a charm and I have my answer. The developer used webm movies. The first frame of the movie is the same at the last static image previously shown. The last frame of the movie is the same as the next static image in the sequence. Sweet!
That is pretty standart procedure :) For making webm is good to use ffmpeg.

Reactions: MoroboshiAtaru