So has patreon killed this economy?

vaugemind727

Oct 27, 2019
Early patreon gave us quite a lot of pretty great games. But years later we've seen the industry stagnate. Have any legitimately impressive games released in the last 2 years?

We seem to just be stuck with updates, instead of getting new games. Normally, companies finish a game then move on, taking those lessons forwards.

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
Legitimately impressive is kind of a high bar. I think there are very few truly impressive adult games, in developement or otherwise. So it's not unnatural none of them reached completion lately.

Maybe you should re-frame the question. Have any big adult games been completed lately? Then the answer is a definitive yes, you can go find them yourself on f95 using the appropriate filter.

Reactions: Count Morado

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Early patreon gave us quite a lot of pretty great games. But years later we've seen the industry stagnate. Have any legitimately impressive games released in the last 2 years?

We seem to just be stuck with updates, instead of getting new games. Normally, companies finish a game then move on, taking those lessons forwards.
The quality of the average game nowadays is miles ahead of the quality of the average game 5 years ago.

The industry (if you could call hobbyist making adult games an industry) has stagnated a bit yeah, but that has nothing to do with patreon. The knowledge and skills required for the next step of adult games is just out of reach for most developers.

For more realistic renders you would have to switch from DAZ to a modelling program and create your own models, texture them yourself with 8k human scanned textures, create dynamic wrinkle morphs etc. It takes a professional several weeks to months to make 1 character like that, how long would that be for a new hobbyist?

Or the difference in coding knowledge, skill, and time investment needed between a VN and an actual interactive game.

The only manageable improvement for hobbyist is story wise, and I would say that has come a long way in the past decade. More games diverse in the setting, fetishes, or character design than a decade ago.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022

How do you define stagnate? Notice below the number of active adult game developers in December 2022 that had creator accounts on Patreon:
Start yearAdult Game Developers
6​
69​
162​
266​
420​
548​
726​
901​
1139​
1014​
Grand Total
5251​

As of this moment, reports the total is 7380. That's an increase of at least 2100 in the past year (some older accounts may no longer be active). None of these numbers include SubscribeStar creators or those who only use Ko-fi or other platforms... or none at all.

That doesn't determine the quality of the games that were introduced in the past year or so, obviously. However, it is hard to imagine that of the 2100 in the past year, that there would be fewer highly regarded games in that bunch than in 2020 or 2021 when half the number of creators began their development.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
There's like 10 fundamental games such as like Being a DIK / Big Brother / Milfy City and the newbies just copy-pasting and making the story even worse.
Well, this summarize the issue...
The day people will stop to use Big Brother and Milfy City as reference will be the day the adult gaming scene will become mature.

Big Brother was kind of innovating at its time, but it's also a "how to not do a game". The game mechanism is confusing, there's near to no hint/clue regarding how to progress and it switched main dogma twice (harem->NTR->hope for harem).
As for Milfy City, it's ICSTOR (failed) attempt to add a real and consistent story into his usual generic incest games, but he did it by copying the games that were successful when he started it.

They are known because over hyped, but this doesn't mean that they have or had any influence, and even less that they are goods. Therefore, they absolutely don't have their place in that kind of list.
In fact, even Being a DIK don't really have its place in that list. Acting Lessons, DrPinkCake first game, is more legit here, but also coming with its well known issue...

If there's fundamental games, it's more games like Dating My daughter, that introduced heavy narration, or Dreams of Desire, that introduced strong background story.
Can be added to the list The DeLuca Family, that is a real turning point in the adult gaming modern era. It represent a pivot point, for the first time an adult game was based over a heavy story including lewd content, and not over lewd content possibly linked together by a story ; and like it succeeded, other creators started to follow. It also was the first one to mix free roaming parts with a scripted background story, offering a double level of progression and giving to the player the possibility to advance at his own pace, prioritizing MC's story or side character's one ; and not it even have a third level with the missions games. All this served by CGs that, at that time, were only equaled by PhillyGames and his Depraved Awakening, yet another heavy story based game ; one of first ones, if not the first one for the modern era.
Less remembered, because more niche and not really good on their own, are Amaraine's games. Bondage Island was the first to couple the good old flash "choose your action" with a modern approach for games, without falling into the "trainer" lazy trap. Damsels and Dungeons, the first to vary the game mechanism, and Leather and Steel the first real sandbox attempt.

But, all this being said, what is the less accurate in your claim is its last words.

Limiting to Ren'Py WIP games, because let's be honest they are the most played, and without regard for the inherent qualities, how games like : Ataegina, Bad Memories, Desert Stalker, Empress Games, Futagenesis Unveiled, Halfway house, Heavy Five, Hot Sand of Antartica, How to fix the future, Karlsson's Gambit, Lust Hunter, Pact with a Witch, Space Journey X, SpaceCorps XXX, Star Mars, Star Periphery, or The Intoxicating Flavor, can be presented as cheap clone of the three you named ?
Those who don't have an effective innovative story have either effective game play, or a way better writing than Big Brother and Milfy City combined ; there's even that have the three. And this is just a really small list that try to cover, more or less, the whole spectrum.

Out of 16000 games, you can't really find 500 projects that you can call "Game".
I'm sure that more than a quarter of the 2,394 Unity and Unreal games, completed or still in development, can be called "games". And this is without counting the Asian RPG Maker games, the, few I agree, Ren'Py games that are effectively games (ever heard about Sakura Dungeon ? Not like if it's a recent game...), those made with Godot or a purely homemade engine (whatever how bad the realization can be, Mike Velesk is making games).

It would be really good if people who clearly know absolutely nothing outside of the 5% of over hyped games would just don't try to judge the state of the adult gaming scene.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018

Name just 1 game that patreon has created and released?:unsure: I have always thought that patreon was a crowd funding platform, but I could be wrong.
2c37320a726330f6a2ae249e60e7056c.gif

TrentonProwler

Oct 22, 2023
I mean I think after the fall of Flash you've seen a reduction in simple games but an increase in quality games with more in-depth mechanics. Which, seems like a Side effect of developers being forced to use more "big-boy" software or not at all. I mean you still get your trash, a lot of it, but this software shift sort of pushes those talented developers to go all out I think. So I think, while we've seen a bit of a reduction, development hasn't died and we've gotten a lot of good games anyways. Also, Patreon has nothing to do with it, it's just a way to receive payments, it bans a few fetishes but SubscribeStar is always a thing.