So how is this website's experience on Linux?

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
That's what i was afraid of, thanks for the input.
I don't want to make using a computer in my free time a chore. Formatting and reinstalling Windows is already a painful experience for me, i can feel it drain the life off my body (partly because of my OCD). Don't know what to do honestly, i think i might actually just say fuck it and stay with an unsupported version of windows for the first time in my life until something terrible happens. I guess i can not worry about it for a year and pray everyone who works at the highest decision levels of Microsoft dies in an earthquake.
I don't blame you but as long as Windows dominates the desktop computer market, there's no incentive for MS to change their approach. People complain with every version change of Windows but they keep using it anyway and MS knows this. They're well aware that nearly everyone threatening to switch to Linux will never even bother to at least download it. MS will continue to do whatever they want and you'll either complain and conform, or you'll just delay the inevitable. You can try to skip Windows 11 but then you'll still have to deal with Windows 12. If you hate Win11 you're going to hate Win12 even more.

I also think you're relying too much on what people are telling you when you really should just try it yourself.

droglob

Aug 26, 2017
My concern was not Renpy at all, i meant all games. I don't think i even mentioned Renpy. Hell, my experience 90% of Renpy games on this site is downloading them, extracting the contents to see what's in it and then deem it's north my time playing to begin with.

Yeah i know everyone bitches and moans with every Windows release but surely, SURELY installing something that takes a screenshot of what's on your screen every couple of seconds and then sending it to Microsoft has to be some sort of line for people? Surely we haven't devolved that much? 20 years ago this would be deemed a ridiculous plot device in a movie.

charlieromeo

Aug 30, 2018
That's what i was afraid of, thanks for the input.
I don't want to make using a computer in my free time a chore. Formatting and reinstalling Windows is already a painful experience for me, i can feel it drain the life off my body (partly because of my OCD). Don't know what to do honestly, i think i might actually just say fuck it and stay with an unsupported version of windows for the first time in my life until something terrible happens. I guess i can not worry about it for a year and pray everyone who works at the highest decision levels of Microsoft dies in an earthquake.
yep if you dont want to make using your computer a chore, id def stay away from linux for now; particularly if youre using an nvidia gpu. look into Windows 10 Enterprise IoT LTSC 2021, its supported until 2032 and is less bloated

seifukulover

Jan 18, 2024
I'm actually in a similar situation; my Win10 machine broke, and I want to replace it with another OS. Linux seems like the best option, but it's a whole rabbit hole I haven't gone down yet. I don't mind spending some time tweaking it if it means I'll have a reliable OS which isn't harvesting all my everything.

I hear RPGMaker works, but what about Wolf RPG? Specifically for the Imouto Life games.

What about School Days and Shiny Days?

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
yep if you dont want to make using your computer a chore, id def stay away from linux for now; particularly if youre using an nvidia gpu. look into Windows 10 Enterprise IoT LTSC 2021, its supported until 2032 and is less bloated
Truthfully every OS is a chore. You probably just don't realize it with Windows because it's a chore you're used to. Switching from something you're familiar with to something unfamiliar is always going to be an extra chore. That's unavoidable no matter what context.

And let's say you go with LTSC Windows, what are you going to do after that? I bet you still end up using a newer version of Windows you tried to avoid anyway. Even if your LTSC OS is technically still supported 5 years down the road, there's no guarantee that the apps and drivers you want to use will be (take Chrome and Steam client for example which both ended support for Win7). And if you get a new computer in the meantime, you're going to at least be on Win11 anyway. You're just "kicking the can down the road" as the saying goes. The only one you're hurting is yourself by trying to hold onto the past. MS surely doesn't care because you're staying in their ecosystem anyway.

I don't use NVidia so i can't personally speak to that but i have heard about its poor support on Linux in the past. I'm not convinced it's still a problem though because if you look at they're all NVidia. Of course hardware compatibility is not going to be a problem if you have a computer built for Linux instead of installing Linux on a computer built for Windows.

Use whatever OS you want, i actually don't care. If you don't mind the Win11 requirements and hard integrations, the UX is actually far better than Win10. My work laptop has Win11 (managed by my employer) and in terms of UX, it finally feels closer to on par with my instead of being severely outdated like Win10 did.

charlieromeo

Aug 30, 2018
Truthfully every OS is a chore. You probably just don't realize it with Windows because it's a chore you're used to. Switching from something you're familiar with to something unfamiliar is always going to be an extra chore. That's unavoidable no matter what context.

And let's say you go with LTSC Windows, what are you going to do after that? I bet you still end up using a newer version of Windows you tried to avoid anyway. Even if your LTSC OS is technically still supported 5 years down the road, there's no guarantee that the apps and drivers you want to use will be (take Chrome and Steam client for example which both ended support for Win7). And if you get a new computer in the meantime, you're going to at least be on Win11 anyway. You're just "kicking the can down the road" as the saying goes. The only one you're hurting is yourself by trying to hold onto the past. MS surely doesn't care because you're staying in their ecosystem anyway.

I don't use NVidia so i can't personally speak to that but i have heard about its poor support on Linux in the past. I'm not convinced it's still a problem though because if you look at they're all NVidia. Of course hardware compatibility is not going to be a problem if you have a computer built for Linux instead of installing Linux on a computer built for Windows.

Use whatever OS you want, i actually don't care. If you don't mind the Win11 requirements and hard integrations, the UX is actually far better than Win10. My work laptop has Win11 (managed by my employer) and in terms of UX, it finally feels closer to on par with my instead of being severely outdated like Win10 did.
true, other apps could drop support for win10 but i dont see it being any time soon (it took steam 4 years to pull the plug after microsoft dropped support for win7). if he doesnt have the specs atm to go to win11 then LTSC can buy some time to see how the Recall shit plays out and if they end up forcing it on x86 or not. also gives time for linux desktop to mature a bit, hopefully wayland will play nice with nvidia in a few years.

and system76 uses xorg by default on PopOS. i personally couldnt deal with nvidia on xorg because its bad at handling multiple monitors with different refresh rates and scaling but obviously this wouldnt be an issue on laptops.

Reactions: F4C430

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
true, other apps could drop support for win10 but i dont see it being any time soon (it took steam 4 years to pull the plug after microsoft dropped support for win7). if he doesnt have the specs atm to go to win11 then LTSC can buy some time to see how the Recall shit plays out and if they end up forcing it on x86 or not. also gives time for linux desktop to mature a bit, hopefully wayland will play nice with nvidia in a few years.

and system76 uses xorg by default on PopOS. i personally couldnt deal with nvidia on xorg because its bad at handling multiple monitors with different refresh rates and scaling but obviously this wouldnt be an issue on laptops.
Personally i don't see any reason to wait. It's not like they have to switch cold turkey and replace their current OS with Linux. There's a performance hit with using live USB drives instead of at least SATA but that's still a really good way to test out hardware compatibility and get used to a new OS without fear of ruining it. If it's working out for them there's plenty of documentation on dual-booting out there where they can still keep their Windows partition intact.

Reactions: charlieromeo

charlieromeo

Aug 30, 2018
Personally i don't see any reason to wait. It's not like they have to switch cold turkey and replace their current OS with Linux. There's a performance hit with using live USB drives instead of at least SATA but that's still a really good way to test out hardware compatibility and get used to a new OS without fear of ruining it. If it's working out for them there's plenty of documentation on dual-booting out there where they can still keep their Windows partition intact.
yeah dual booting is great and thats what ive been doing for years. i agree that he may as well try out linux as theres nothing to lose but if he found installing windows to be painful and doesnt want computing to be chore then i dont think he will have the best experience with linux, honestly. im a weirdo who enjoys tinkering and fucking around with computers and even i find linux to be a pain the arse at times.

Last edited:

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Yup, i too just want to be able to boot the game and play it like i do it on Win, not fuck around with emulators, guides, or whatever other bullshit Linux needs just to be able to boot the freakin' game lol. That's why Linux is a no-go for gamers. :whistle::coffee:

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
Yup, i too just want to be able to boot the game and play it like i do it on Win, not fuck around with emulators, guides, or whatever other bullshit Linux needs just to be able to boot the freakin' game lol. That's why Linux is a no-go for gamers. :whistle::coffee:
Yeah well as long as people keep avoiding Linux, game devs are not going to make content for Linux, and people are going to keep complaining about MS and Windows forever. It's a chicken-and-egg problem. Anyway i'm not trying to convince uninterested parties such as yourself to switch to Linux. The discussions in this thread are for people who were already interested. I'm not a Linux fan, i only use it because i hate what MS is doing since Win10. I grew up with MS-DOS, i've been there every step of the way.

Reactions: ♍VoidTraveler

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Linux should have aimed at pleasing gamers right from the start, focusing on things like compatibility with and performance in games.
This would have made Linux super popular and probably most-used OS instead of Windows in an instant.
But Linux decided to go with the other read.
So yeah, here we are. Nobody gives a shit about Linux outside of software nerd circles and the like. :whistle::coffee:

Last edited:

charlieromeo

Aug 30, 2018
I'm actually in a similar situation; my Win10 machine broke, and I want to replace it with another OS. Linux seems like the best option, but it's a whole rabbit hole I haven't gone down yet. I don't mind spending some time tweaking it if it means I'll have a reliable OS which isn't harvesting all my everything.

I hear RPGMaker works, but what about Wolf RPG? Specifically for the Imouto Life games.

What about School Days and Shiny Days?
ive only ever played 1 wolf rpg game before on linux and it worked fine using proton on steam.
i just tried this game: https://f95zone.to/threads/imouto-life-monochrome-v2-01-inusuku.37378/ it booted fine and played without issues for the like 2 mins i played lol cant guarantee it doesnt crash later on tho.

as for the other games in your post, i didnt try because theyre like 15gb :p

Reactions: seifukulover

unfreezer

Dec 16, 2023
You can always just install Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, it still has a long while until 2027, the IoT version runs out at 2032.

ruziy

Feb 15, 2019
Linux should have aimed at pleasing gamers right from the start, focusing on things like compatibility with and performance in games.
Linux, first of all, has never had such a goal. Neither in '91, when it was "just a hobby, won’t be big and professional like gnu" nor later, when it turned into a full-fledged unix-like os that could be launched on commodity hardware from the nearest computer store, instead of custom vendor-locked workstation.