[SOLVED] Android can't run html games without apk

Aysh S

Dec 6, 2021
Android 11 user here. Got a warning that some functionalities won't work but still game seems to run smoothly on joi play

ManInside

Mar 26, 2022
So, I've been doing some research, because the display for Joi Play wasn't working well for Master of Raana (well for me atleast). So I learned you can use File Manager Plus to open html files in your web browser (Mine is firefox nightly). If the display doesn't work well still you can use desktop mode and it is normally better

Reactions: Koshak01

FBilsin

Feb 21, 2019
Ok, finally figured it out.

How to get pictures for .html games to load correctly on Android.
(Tested on a Twine game.)
  1. Download .html game to browser's default internal storage.
  2. In browser, enable javascript
  3. For Twine-based .html games, in browser, you must enable 3rd party cookies, or Twine will spit out an error and will not load.
  4. In browser's address bar, type in This takes you to your phone's browser's default internal storage download folder.
  5. In browser, navigate to your downloaded game's filder, find the run game's .html file and click on it to run on your browser.
  6. The game should load with pictures working correctly.
I couldn't get my browser to read from external SD card.
And every manufacturer names the external storage filepath differently, even for different phone models, so loading things from external storage on Android is a massive clusterfuck.
And you can't really view source fir cheats because most phones run like toasters.

Moral of the story: Use a computer.
I see everything in that internal storage except the actual .html file, why is that?

Reactions: cooler_T<p

_FUZE_

Mar 7, 2020
Ok, finally figured it out.

How to get pictures for .html games to load correctly on Android.
(Tested on a Twine game.)
  1. Download .html game to browser's default internal storage.
  2. In browser, enable javascript
  3. For Twine-based .html games, in browser, you must enable 3rd party cookies, or Twine will spit out an error and will not load.
  4. In browser's address bar, type in This takes you to your phone's browser's default internal storage download folder.
  5. In browser, navigate to your downloaded game's filder, find the run game's .html file and click on it to run on your browser.
  6. The game should load with pictures working correctly.
I couldn't get my browser to read from external SD card.
And every manufacturer names the external storage filepath differently, even for different phone models, so loading things from external storage on Android is a massive clusterfuck.
And you can't really view source fir cheats because most phones run like toasters.

Moral of the story: Use a computer.
Thank you very much, you are a lifesaver!

u z i

lurker
Uploader
Donor
Nov 9, 2018
Leaving this here in case anyone needs it.

The given solution didn't work for me and while Joiplay does work, the save files are not transferrable to PC as far as I know (Save to/Load from disk also don't seem to work for whatever reason). So I'm using app to host a local server - set the root to a folder within which the game exists, copy the IP address and paste it on your browser, navigate to the html file and play.

Found this solution .

edit: This also doesn't work. The first few pages are fine, then the images/videos stop working :HideThePain:. I just play the online versions.

Last edited:

Koshak01

Jun 20, 2019
So, I've been doing some research, because the display for Joi Play wasn't working well for Master of Raana (well for me atleast). So I learned you can use File Manager Plus to open html files in your web browser (Mine is firefox nightly). If the display doesn't work well still you can use desktop mode and it is normally better
Thanks a lot! File Manager Plus worked like a charm! I've been passively wondering how to play HTML games on android for quite a while, and thanks to your message I've finally found the solution!