[SOLVED] Android can't run html games without apk

fapperisu95

Apr 10, 2020
I got it to work:

Ok, finally figured it out.

How to get pictures for .html games to load correctly on Android.
(Tested on a Twine game.)
  1. Download .html game to browser's default internal storage.
  2. In browser, enable javascript
  3. For Twine-based .html games, in browser, you must enable 3rd party cookies, or Twine will spit out an error and will not load.
  4. In browser's address bar, type in This takes you to your phone's browser's default internal storage download folder.
  5. In browser, navigate to your downloaded game's filder, find the run game's .html file and click on it to run on your browser.
  6. The game should load with pictures working correctly.
So android browsers can't open simple html games without being first compiled into apks?

Why lol. I'm seeing images and running javascript just fine right now. Can even watch videos, stream, even silently send all my data to Google botnet™.

But android brower app can't run a downloaded html file properly, images not loading. How dumb lol.

Is there some trick to make html game images load properly on a brower, or must I install Joiplay app just to run html games? https://f95zone.to/threads/play-rpg...tyranobuilder-on-android-using-joiplay.44792/

Last edited:
Reactions: maisparasite117

Back

Aug 3, 2017
You should be able to just open html games via the browser. Just navigate in the address bar to where you have it stored locally (if you downloaded it) or the host site. I haven't noticed any issues and my Android cellphone is ancient by today's standards (it's over four years old now).

Reactions: BrekerZ

fapperisu95

Apr 10, 2020
Did your games have images?

I'm loading a html twine game with an image folder, and both Brave(chrome) and Icecat(Firefox) browsers can't load images.

Text, javascript, saving by enabling "3rd party cookies" seem to work (without seeing the actual savefiles in file manager I'm nervous if savefiles get randomly deleted for no reason), but it just can't load images.

I wanna fight monsters but without minimap I'm lost in the dungeon lol.

Did you put your game in internal storage or SD card?

Reactions: EdwardNewgates

Back

Aug 3, 2017
Some did. I had a couple text-only ones (outside of the UI such as from the Twine / SugarCube format) which were stored internally while a few with images were stored on the SD card due to space issues. I have since removed most of them (again, due to space limitations and work apps take priority).

However, I recall games such as The Company that loaded them fine. (Though, I wasn't really a fan of the game and was just trying it out). Actually, I'm not 100% sure if that particular game was on my SD or if I just loaded it from a site. Regardless, I had images working on my end.

I've tried Brave once upon a time but since it's basically a reskinned Chrome I had removed it. Don't recall ever trying Icecat. Default browser seems to do the job fine; at least, I haven't noticed anything missing.

I'm sorry if that wasn't too informative in resolving your issue you're running into. Try upgrading everything. When it comes to software on cellphones, I'm just not as savvy unfortunately. Hope you can figure it out what's causing images to not load for you though! Good luck.

fapperisu95

Apr 10, 2020
Enabling developer mode didn't ssem to do anything. Images aren't loading, still can't save page.

Oh yeah, both Brave and Icecat can'f access file:// for whatever reason.

Update:
Looks like html5 on android doesn't work properly.
[–] [ ] 1 point 2 years ago
Okay, I think it's due to html5 on android and sound needs to be linked to a click rather than a timed action...

[–] SugarCube Creator 2 points 2 years ago*
That's a common limitation on mobile devices (Android, iOS, whatever), playback actions are required to triggered by direct user action. Meaning, in this case, that you pretty much have to trigger them with player touches, in some form. Basically, you cannot initiate playback asynchronously via a timer.
NOTE: The limitations on mobile devices are noted at the top of the .
f95 forum's filter function will never work, can't run RPGmaker games except MV, can't run Unity or Unreal beacuse shitty overheating hardware, cheats don't work, it's a useless platform! :KEK:

Last edited:

fapperisu95

Apr 10, 2020

3. For Twine-based .html games, in browser, you must enable 3rd party cookies, or Twine will spit out an error and will not load.
  4. In browser's address bar, type in
    file://localhost/sdcard/Download/
    This takes you to your phone's browser's default internal storage download folder.
  5. In browser, navigate to your downloaded game's filder, find the run game's .html file and click on it to run on your browser.
I couldn't get my browser to read from external SD card.
And every manufacturer names the external storage filepath differently, even for different phone models, so loading things from external storage on Android is a massive clusterfuck.
And you can't really view source fir cheats because most phones run like toasters.

Moral of the story: Use a computer.

Zack929

Jun 11, 2017

4. In browser's address bar, type in This takes you to your phone's browser's default internal storage download folder.
I couldn't get my browser to read from external SD card.
And every manufacturer names the external storage filepath differently, even for different phone models, so loading things from external storage on Android is a massive clusterfuck.
And you can't really view source fir cheats because most phones run like toasters.

Moral of the story: Use a computer.

Thanks Bro..

DynEggs

Aug 8, 2019
Hmm, I got the same result, but used a little different approach.

1. So, I downloaded the html game to my downloads folder on the smartphone;
2. Opened ES File Explorer, navigated to game folder and clicked to open the game's main html file
3. ES asks which program to use to open the file - I chose Opera web browser

Then it just worked normally from there on. Pictures load as intended. I tested it on the game I'm working on right now in Twine. It's a fairly simple game - choices, pictures and so on - so I don't know if it would work like that on something more "complex" so to speak.

Mcompany

Jul 12, 2017
Not sure if I'm allowed to necro this or not, but some browsers actually will work with html files on the SD card. The main one that comes to mind is Firefox, but I also have Dolphin browser and it works. Just depending on the browser (like Firefox), certain protocols won't work and you will need a "file:///" link to it. Or you can use a newer file manager like x-plorer to open your html file in Firefox.

Just note that while some browsers work off the SD card, no Chromium browser (such as Chrome or Edge) will

MonsterV

Jun 23, 2019
Android 11 makes this not a workable solution anymore.
I got android 11 and it fucked me over super hard with HTML games
I cant do shit with them, browsers dont read images or videos or sounds, just makes the html go "lol you misinstalled the files try again"
what can i do?!

Raj Sarkar

Aug 20, 2017
I use Joiplay to run Html games on my Android phone. It works like a charm. No glitches or issues, every Picture, Videos or Gifs everything plays perfectly.

zetsupetsu

Dec 22, 2019
I use Joiplay to run Html games on my Android phone. It works like a charm. No glitches or issues, every Picture, Videos or Gifs everything plays perfectly.
What android version do you use? And where is do you put your game folder?

Raj Sarkar

Aug 20, 2017
What android version do you use? And where is do you put your game folder?
I use Android 11. You can put the game folder anywhere. I have all my game folders in My download folder. You just need to open Joiplay and Click on the Plus button and select the Executable Html game file and Then add game name and press Add. It's done.

Virlie

Jul 12, 2017
I use Android 11. You can put the game folder anywhere. I have all my game folders in My download folder. You just need to open Joiplay and Click on the Plus button and select the Executable Html game file and Then add game name and press Add. It's done.
Was it on internal storage or SD card?