Daz [Solved]Fix gloss with Gimp

tazthecat

Sep 2, 2021
Hello everyone.

So I rendered my first image of a series in DAZ, and I over did the lighting and set the gloss on the skin to high(beginner problems).

Instead of rendering the image(s) again, I tried to edit them with GIMP. But I know Less about GIMP than about DAZ right now.

Can someone show me the steps to edit the glare out of her face? Less shiny, but id like her to shine too. lol

Thanks in advance. 001.jpg

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I mean, realistically, you're gonna be sweating sitting that close to a fire, so it's not too out of place.

I don't really use GIMP, so I don't know how advanced the tools are vs Photoshop. But even with Photoshop, you're either going to lose the sheen of her skin or keep, there's no real happy-medium here. I was able to do this with Photoshop's Content Aware Fill in a couple minutes:

001.jpg

Resynthesizer for Gimp should achieve something decently similar. Though, I'd recommend pirating a copy of PS at some point if you can't afford/don't want to pay for it. It's much, much more well suited for this kind of stuff.

Reactions: tazthecat

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Also, if you are only looking to save some time because you have a very slow render machine, consider this approach instead:
- fixing the skin gloss in daz and
- then using spot render for just the skin areas with visible problem
- and overlaying the results over the original full image

Reactions: Jumbi and tazthecat

tazthecat

Sep 2, 2021
I mean, realistically, you're gonna be sweating sitting that close to a fire, so it's not too out of place.

I don't really use GIMP, so I don't know how advanced the tools are vs Photoshop. But even with Photoshop, you're either going to lose the sheen of her skin or keep, there's no real happy-medium here. I was able to do this with Photoshop's Content Aware Fill in a couple minutes:

View attachment 3482196

Resynthesizer for Gimp should achieve something decently similar. Though, I'd recommend pirating a copy of PS at some point if you can't afford/don't want to pay for it. It's much, much more well suited for this kind of stuff.
Thanks for your tip. Resynthesizer fixes it in seconds.
I tried photoshop, but I couldnt find anything. And I like the free(legal) of GIMP.

tazthecat

Sep 2, 2021
Also, if you are only looking to save some time because you have a very slow render machine, consider this approach instead:
- fixing the skin gloss in daz and
- then using spot render for just the skin areas with visible problem
- and overlaying the results over the original full image
I forgot about spot render.
Sure i can render them again, just got my new RTX 4060. But im trying to learn how to do the post proccesing, its also usefull to learn i guess.

Reactions: osanaiko

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I tried photoshop, but I couldnt find anything. And I like the free(legal) of GIMP.
Figured it might've. Shame that the GIMP founders are basically MIA and only continuing to live through a small community via addons. It's by far the closest to PS in regard to potential, short of maybe Affinity.

And fair enough on Photoshop. It was more of a recommendation rather than a 'must'.

tazthecat

Sep 2, 2021
Figured it might've. Shame that the GIMP founders are basically MIA and only continuing to live through a small community via addons. It's by far the closest to PS in regard to potential, short of maybe Affinity.

And fair enough on Photoshop. It was more of a recommendation rather than a 'must'.
I find that lots of tutorials use GIMP. And tutorials is all im watching these days.

You are a pro? can i ask you about my render? what would you have done different? The dude is not in focus intentional because, who cares about the dude in a VN. lol (going for a First person setup, this is the intro and story is very minimal yet)

Writing is a underestimated skill.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I find that lots of tutorials use GIMP. And tutorials is all im watching these days.

You are a pro? can i ask you about my render? what would you have done different? The dude is not in focus intentional because, who cares about the dude in a VN. lol (going for a First person setup, this is the intro and story is very minimal yet)

Writing is a underestimated skill.
I don't know if I'd call myself a 'pro', but I have a fair bit of experience with VNs, and Daz. As for your render, I think you've got a good foundation already, at least based off of the image you posted.

There's little details that could be fixed in places. The fire is a touch too bright given how close they are, but that could be heavily monitor-based in that I'm seeing something you aren't on yours. The other would be to tone down the expression a little bit. Mouths don't naturally take that shape. Artists often say that eyebrows and cheeks are 90% of an expression, which in the context of Daz, means that you'll want to look into expression packs (or FACS, depending on the Generation of figure you're working with.) that offer partials (upper/lower).

Depth of Field is also a nice touch for a lot of renders, but it'll bump your renders times up a good bit, so it might not be worth using a strong DoF on your renders.

tazthecat

Sep 2, 2021
I don't know if I'd call myself a 'pro', but I have a fair bit of experience with VNs, and Daz. As for your render, I think you've got a good foundation already, at least based off of the image you posted.

There's little details that could be fixed in places. The fire is a touch too bright given how close they are, but that could be heavily monitor-based in that I'm seeing something you aren't on yours. The other would be to tone down the expression a little bit. Mouths don't naturally take that shape. Artists often say that eyebrows and cheeks are 90% of an expression, which in the context of Daz, means that you'll want to look into expression packs (or FACS, depending on the Generation of figure you're working with.) that offer partials (upper/lower).

Depth of Field is also a nice touch for a lot of renders, but it'll bump your renders times up a good bit, so it might not be worth using a strong DoF on your renders.
Thanks, I'll take note of your suggestions.

Just starting out, but its fun to do.

Reactions: MissFortune

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Hello everyone.

So I rendered my first image of a series in DAZ, and I over did the lighting and set the gloss on the skin to high(beginner problems).

Instead of rendering the image(s) again, I tried to edit them with GIMP. But I know Less about GIMP than about DAZ right now.

Can someone show me the steps to edit the glare out of her face? Less shiny, but id like her to shine too. lol

Thanks in advance. View attachment 3481787

I kinda chuckled at your "legal" insert... lol. You do realize you are posting this thread on a pirate game site, correct? *chuckle*

Anyhow, I am useless with GIMP. I've been using PS for easily 25+ years now. I started using it way back in the late 90's when I was making graphics for websites I had. I've bought several versions over the years, but I drew the line at subscription based models that do nothing but data-mine you. So I have been using PS CC 2015 for several years now, which has been cracked to operate stand alone. It's easily found on torrent sites and pretty easy to crack. Honestly, you could download it in 5 mins and install it in another 5 mins. Just saying...

Anyhow, the thing I love about PS is I can learn new stuff every day, if I want too. There's literally thousands of tutorials out there for it, and many of them are huge professional productions with some amazing techniques. I just took your OP here and googled a tutorial and made this in about 10 mins. It's basically 'painting' over the glossy areas with the same color as the skin beside the glossy area, on a new layer at 20% opacity. The third pic, I just added a simple catch light to the eyes.

Left head shot is original, middle is a subtle paint over the glossy areas and right head pic has simple catch lights added to the eyes...

001_draft.jpg

• Love