[SOLVED] Force Ren'Py games to run on discrete GPU instead of integrated

ontach

Apr 8, 2018
I have both integrated and discrete GPUs in my Windows laptop. Ren'Py games run fine on the integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 630) but for troubleshooting purposes I want to try running them on the discrete GPU (GTX1070).

I have tried setting the game exe to use dedicated hardware in the nvidia control panel.
I have tried playing with the various rendering settings by using SHIFT+G when the game is running.

Is it possible? Is there something I'm missing? UNITY games automatically switch to the discrete GPU, even though they don't really need to. House Party, too, uses the discrete GPU, as do mainstream 3D game titles - SOTTR, RE2R, SkyrimSE, et. al.

Last edited:

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Renpy is not a 3D game engine, it doesn't render, it just displays images

Reactions: ontach

ontach

Apr 8, 2018
Thanks, I had forgotten that Windows moved this to it's own settings panel. Still doesn't work, though. Still using integrated graphics. I know Ren'Py is just a slideshow with text and clickable hotspots, and the integrated GPU is powerful enough to deal with all that, but for troubleshooting purposes I want to try the discrete GPU, just to see if it makes any difference to the image quality.

ontach

Apr 8, 2018
I knew I was missing something. I was enabling this for the game exe in the <game> folder. I enabled it for the game exe in the <game>/lib/windows-i686/ folder and now it is using the discrete GPU. :D