Ren'Py [SOLVED] Problem with Ren'py games

Exodius

Apr 30, 2017
UPDATE!!!
The issue has been resolved.

Below, you will find the TL;DR version of the process that I went through.

Among other things, what you need to do is: Make sure your OS is running on the latest version (Windows in my case).
If you are running Windows, and your Updater is messing up with you, not wanting to download updates, giving you error 0x80240fff, just check out Microsoft's website for the latest update to install Manually
Code:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Click update, download Update Assistant, run it and let it do it's magic. This is what helped me.
Cheers.

ORIGINAL OPENING POST BELOW!!!

So... I changed computers and Ren'py games stopped working.

Old PC:
Intel i5-2400S @ 2.50 GHz (3.20 GHz Turbo)
8 GB DDR3 1330 MHz
Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3
1 TB Toshiba HDD
Asus GT 440 1 GB DDR3

New PC:
Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz (3.70 GHz Turbo)
8 GB DDR3 1330 MHz
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3
(same) 1 TB Toshiba HDD
Radeon RX580 Aorus 4GB DDR5

Same OS on both old and new configuration: Windows 10 Enterprise x64.

Installed every program that I usually install when I re-install my OS, including VC++ Redists, DirectX, .NET libraries.

Ren'py games worked on old configuration, they do not work on the new one.

Start the game, a couple of seconds pass and nothing... I tried a couple of games...
My Cute Roomate, The Tyrant, Summertime Saga... Same thing.

log.txt is identical in all games (1024b size made me jiggle)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

That last line was not a copy/paste error... Last line is "Interfac" which makes me think that it is somehow related to interface? But, what?

Anyone has a solution for this?

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Is your computer set to english? Or do you use a language whose characters are from a different alphabet? If that is the case, have you tried running the games from C:?

So C:/RenpyGame/Renpygame.exe

Exodius

Apr 30, 2017
Default language is English, yes.
Default folder names.

Tried running game(s) from C:, like from an example you made. Tried from desktop...

Same result.

EDIT: I even downloaded Ren'py engine for game development. Figured that it's installation will install something that is required for RP games to work... Even it won't run.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Default language is English, yes.
Default folder names.

Tried running game(s) from C:, like from an example you made. Tried from desktop...

Same result.

EDIT: I even downloaded Ren'py engine for game development. Figured that it's installation will install something that is required for RP games to work... Even it won't run.
Do they stay in the memory? Some games might require longer than a few seconds to boot up.
Do you have a traceback.txt too? Did you update your drivers? It could also be your antivirus blocking it for some reason, you may want to try and whitelist the game you are running.

Exodius

Apr 30, 2017
Do they stay in the memory?
Some games might require longer than a few seconds to boot up.
Please, elaborate?
They appear in Task Manager under "Background Process" for 5-6 seconds and then they disappear.

Do you have a traceback.txt too?
No traceback for any of the games. Fresh downloads.
I delete played versions of the game between updates keeping only savegames.
And since the games do not initialize, I suspect that's why there is no traceback.txt file.

Did you update your drivers?
Latest drivers downloaded and installed from AMD website.
Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.11.2

It could also be your antivirus blocking it for some reason, you may want to try and whitelist the game you are running.
Windows Defender is the only thing "installed" on my PC and I have tried running the game with WD off.

I have also tried with the game(s) being whitelisted (both process and folder selection).

Exodius

Apr 30, 2017
Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.
Already written in a post prior to yours. Latest drivers installed. Driver release is dated yesterday (14.11.)

Do you have a laptop?
If so, right click the executable and then on "Run with graphics processor" select your GPU.

You might also have this issue: https://f95zone.to/threads/amd-problems-with-renpy-games-wont-start.31317/
Since you have mentioned AMD.
Desktop.

From the topic that you linked:
  • No AntiVirus software other than Windows Defender. WD is not blocking the file(s) or labeling them in any way (false positives and/or what-not). Already mentioned that I tried starting the games without it being running in the background. Also, tried whitelisting only the .exe file, only game's folder, and both .exe and folder. Problem persists.
  • That link that leads to Ren'py website documentation is useless. I would need to have started the game and gotten the issue for me to follow it's direction but, anyhow, OpenGL is a part of the OS and/or Graphic Card's drivers. With my drivers being dated yesterday, that shouldn't be the problem. DirectX is also latest, downloaded straight from the Microsoft website.
  • I have tried running the game as an Admin and I have tried checking the option "Always run as an Admin" in file properties.
  • I have tried running the game with a SmartScreen being ON and OFF. I have that option disabled by Default.
  • I have tried disabling the Firewall.
Event Viewer...

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Did you unpack the game? (As in unzipping it to an actual folder)

Reactions: Exodius

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
You made me laugh like a maniac...

Of course I unpacked the game. I'm not an idiot. :D
Did you try to restore your permissions for AppData folder?

Edit: Also pls look into your computer's reliability and problem history.

Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Maintenance/View reliability history

Last edited:

cnwolf

Jan 1, 2018
Had the same issue, for me windows blocked the renpy.exe. Simply opening the file with administrator rights fixed it for me.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Had the same issue, for me windows blocked the renpy.exe. Simply opening the file with administrator rights fixed it for me.
You better no do that. You should have check if Windows Defender or another AV program blocks Ren'Py.

Exodius

Apr 30, 2017
OK... The issue I reported was Windows related.
As of right now Ren'py games are working again, as intended. All I did was, manually, installing "May 2019" update for Windows.

This is gonna be TL;DR but, I think it's best to describe my steps because someone else may get at the same point as me...

Although I failed to mention it in the main post, with every OS reinstall, my process is to first leave it over night to install Windows updates. I let it update and go to sleep. I am not involved in the process :D

I always time it so that I reinstall Windows during late hours. I run automatic updates and go to sleep. It downloads and installs and usually restarts before I wake up. In the morning, before going to work, I run the updater once again in case something was missed during previous batch.

And something went wrong there. I had assumed that Windows had installed all needed updates while it hasn't. Last night (16.11.), I was fiddling with settings and what-not and found out that Windows Updater was failing to check for new updates.

So, I did what was logical to me. I re-installed OS again.

This time, on first boot, I went straight for updating. The previous time, Windows at least pulled some updates. Now it was throwing the errors from the get-go. The error it was giving was "0x80240fff" so, I went Troubleshooting. Troubleshooter reported an error with Windows updater and reported that the issue was now fixed. It wasn't so, I went to Google.

Second search result told me that this was a common issue and that I had to install one of the latest updates manually to proceed so, I got to the following link.

Code:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I just hit update. The update assistant downloaded, started, notified me about the update and I (again) left it to do it's thing and went to work around the house. Came back about an hour later, it has restarted and updated the Windows.

Checking for updates now works but, before I clicked on "Install Updates", I tried running the Ren'py game and, it started... WITHOUT installing Graphic Card Drivers.

I'm gonna edit the first post to append some info regarding the issue and I want to thank everyone for participating in my hunt for the problem that has troubled me.

Peace out.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021
Hello, I have a problem and it is that my computer does not work with the new renpy engine, I enter and the program stops and closes, download the latest version of renpy, but anyway, no renpy game is working right now.

Reactions: Avidh

sanju115

Jun 3, 2020
I am having similar issue. And after I click on the Ren'py game, it ends up with .log file as attached. Any help is highly appreciateed.