• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Solved: Trouble downloading, unziping and extracting files

mncliv

Apr 13, 2018
Hi

Novice user, was serial lurker for a few months but lately had an issue with downloading and extracting games. Usually use 7zip which was fine until a few weeks ago. Now all files have Cant not open output file: Access is denied: on a number of files. Not sure why. Downloaded latest 7zip and also Peazip (v slow in comparison) but still not working. Can sometimes start games but quickly run into crashes.

Any ideas?

Should probably say it seems to be any game. I tried to DL most of the first page of trending games all with the same result.

Last edited:

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Hi

Novice user, was serial lurker for a few months but lately had an issue with downloading and extracting games. Usually use 7zip which was fine until a few weeks ago. Now all files have Cant not open output file: Access is denied: on a number of files. Not sure why. Downloaded latest 7zip and also Peazip (v slow in comparison) but still not working. Can sometimes start games but quickly run into crashes.

Any ideas?

Should probably say it seems to be any game. I tried to DL most of the first page of trending games all with the same result.
A few things to try:

1. Run 7zip with Administrator rights.

2. Run the 7zip compression test on the file to see if the file is corrupted.

3. Try moving and unpacking the file in your main drive (typically C:) within a standard, English named directory. If you're trying to unpack it in an external or oddly named drive/directory, you may not have the permissions set correctly for reading/writing to that drive/directory.

mncliv

Apr 13, 2018
hi i have tried extracting on the desktop but unfortunately still have the same results. The extraction just resulted in an empty folder. Evem tried opening 7zip from start menu and open as adminstrator but same results.

Last edited:

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
hi i have tried extracting on the desktop but unfortunately still have the same results. The extraction just resulted in an empty folder. Evem tried opening 7zip from start menu and open as adminstrator but same results.
The desktop is a Windows-protected folder/location. Try checking your OS security settings if Windows is blocking write access to it from 3rd party applications. If you don't know how to do this, just unzip the file to a dummy folder like C:\throwaway.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
I googled "Can not open output file: Access is denied": it may be some antivirus issue (Bitdefender?). The software may detect something in the archives and quarantines them. Try to disable your antivirus while unzipping the archive, then reactivate it and scan the folder: see which files are detected as dangerous and whitelist them.

mncliv

Apr 13, 2018
Solved

i tried a 3rd zip program (Zipware). This worked like 7zip used to. Removed 7zip amd peazip. I tried allowing progams through my AV but it seems to be deliberately complex (probably for good reason) so gave up.

Thanks for your replies. all assistance is appreciated.