Ren'Py [Solved] Trying to figure out where a dev has hidden his Ren'py animations

Heisenberg867

Jul 18, 2018
Hi all,

I'm nearing completion of a story mod for an existing game, and one of the last big steps was rebuilding a bunch of the game in a brand new ren'py project. Everything translated fine except the animations, and I'm trying to figure out what I've forgotten to copy or accidentally deleted that's led to the issue - currently the screen just goes gray when the animation is set to play.

The animations are in the form of a bunch of .pngs strung together, and I can see in the images folder where all the relevant .pngs are, so I'm good in terms of the assets.

What I can't figure out is where the dev stored the commands stringing those .pngs together. The script folder will just contain a command like e.g. "scene maxwalk", and that'll trigger six .pngs of the character Max to start moving on the screen in a loop. But it's not at all clear what block of code "maxwalk" is referencing. When I search "maxwalk" in all the .rpy files, nothing comes up except the initiating command.

Any suggestions, folks?

Solved! See below.

Last edited:

Heisenberg867

Jul 18, 2018
...aaaaand I figured it out. The dev stored the animation code in a completely separate .rpy file, likely because they're lengthy and he didn't want to clutter the script file with them.

That was embarrassingly simple. Lesson: make sure you search absolutely every .rpy file before making posts like this.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It's where having a grep tool come handy. If you're on windows, you can find an old but tiny port (come with the source and the executable), or go for a more larger set of *nix tools . Or you can use one of the native equivalent :
  • (still living) ;
  • (still living) ;
  • (older but nearer to the original for the result) ;

blatun

Aug 28, 2019
Your comment, Anne, made me realize just how old I am.
There was a time (once upon a time) when I spend 8 hours at work, nearly yelling at a guy who was supposed to fix some recurring mistake in a project:
Me: ()%&#%(&%#*% .... just grep it and fix it for God's sake!!!!
He went back to his desk (in another building) and kept coming back without any real progress.
At the end of the day I went there to help him, fully convinced he might be stupid.
Actually ... he was using Windows :)
What grep? /facepalm

I bought him a beer and took him under my wing but damn it, that was almost 15 years (or so) ago. Now you have multiple "greps" for Windows.
Apocalypse confirmed!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I bought him a beer and took him under my wing but damn it, that was almost 15 years (or so) ago.
Well, my time to feel old. Reading this, my first thought was to wonder if Windows was really this used 15 years ago. Then realized that 15 years ago was something still in this century ; somehow I doubled the time it represent :(

Now you have multiple "greps" for Windows.
Apocalypse confirmed!
There's still time. It's not because there's grep tools on Windows, that the users know about them, or even know what they do.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
If you're using the default editor for RenPy under Windows... ... You can do <Ctrl+Shift+F> to do "Find in Project".

Depending on if you've got filters switched on to exclude files like *.rpyc, etc... you might want to put "*.rpy" in the 3rd box (File/Directory pattern:) - so it doesn't go searching all the image files and potentially the .rpa files too and thereby taking too long.

Stick "maxwalk" in the search field... and click the [Find All] button.

Any file that has the search string in will be listed, along with each line that includes the string.

And if you're not using Atom... well, lots of other editors have similar functions similar to "Find in all files".

Reactions: Heisenberg867