[Solved] Unreal normal map on Futa.

Playful_RM

Dec 1, 2019
Hi people (first post),

My normal map appears "inverted" (instead of bumps there are dips). I've seen this kind of effect on Daz Futalicious before and never really discovered what was going on. Trying to make a material for it in Unreal (4.23.1, DX12). Weird thing is it looks kind-of OK on a cylinder in the material editor. Anybody see my mistake? I've tried inverting the green channel but no dice.

Mat and screenshot attached.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I don't know if this will be any help for you, since I have no experience with Unreal, but since the node set-up looks similar to nodes used in Blender, it might be the same.

A normal map isn't made in RGB format. Just plugging it straight into the normal node gives somewhat correct, but wrong effect. In Blender you have to put a normal map node in between the image and the normal connector, and change the color info from RGB to non-color.

I would see if there's a normal map node available, put it between the normal map texture and the normal connector, and try out every plugging option from the texture to see if you can find the right one.

If you don't understand what I mean I can post a screenshot from how it looks in Blender. Might help you with your issue

Playful_RM

Dec 1, 2019
In unreal you double-click the normal map and set the "compression settings". Mine says Normalmap (DXT5, BC5 on DX11). If I choose anything else I get an error on the node in the setup screen. I'm guessing that's the format it's given when it gets uploaded to vmem, from RGB.

Looking at the model it looks just fine from one side, the opposite from the other. It's related to the directional light in some way... I wonder if there's something wrong with my normals in Maya... will check them.

Playful_RM

Dec 1, 2019
Ah, I solved it, as usually happens within an hour of asking a question after struggling with something for two days...

The problem is caused by Maya's export with "smoothing" enabled. It screws up the normals somehow. So I exported without smoothing (I'm tessellating in any case) and then flipped the green channel in unreal, and it works! One of those baffling things about FBX nobody really understands...

NyqueIgrol

Nov 1, 2018
Ah, I solved it, as usually happens within an hour of asking a question after struggling with something for two days...

The problem is caused by Maya's export with "smoothing" enabled. It screws up the normals somehow. So I exported without smoothing (I'm tessellating in any case) and then flipped the green channel in unreal, and it works! One of those baffling things about FBX nobody really understands...
Hello Playful_RM, hello forumers!

I don't know, how to send private message in this forum, but I don't mind if other's seeing my question. I know it's not strictly fits in this thread, but my google searches led me here. Please suggest some other threads if there's any!
So, I would like to transfer my Futalicious and Roasty models into UE4, and I was able to do... "something"... it appears, I can move around with my character, but the Futalicious and Roasty morphs (blendshapes? is it called that way in UE4?) are not transferring. I have tried with Futalicious only too, yet no success. The other morphs of the character (for example visemes, breast control, monster ears) are working fine, but not Futalicious.

Do you know how to transfer Futalicious G8F chars with morphs from DAZ to UE4?

I am using UE4 build 4.25.1, I have DAZ to Unreal plugin ( ), I have DAZ to Maya plugin ( ) (but I am not so familiar with Maya), and I have used simply exporting FBX from Daz earlier...

Can you please point me a right direction?