• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Some games do not work properly when placed in D DRIVE

いだてん

Jul 22, 2021
I use automatic translation, so I am sorry if the sentences are difficult to read.

Moving some games to D Drive may not work properly

ChampionOfRealms is saved, it will be killed.

CorruptedWorld does not advance from the first language selection screen

But it works fine with C Drive.

I am confused because other games work properly with D drive.

Can anyone help me?

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
When they're in D, are they in a folder with special characters (like your username)? Renpy doesn't do well with special characters in the path.

For testing, create a folder named games in in D, so the path reads "D:\Games\" and put any game in there. See if that solves the problem.

Reactions: いだてん

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
In case your D-drive is in NTFS format, then make sure you are the owner of your games folder there OR that "Everyone" has permissions for creating and modifying files and folders if you want to make it accessible to everyone, not just you.

いだてん

Jul 22, 2021
When they're in D, are they in a folder with special characters (like your username)? Renpy doesn't do well with special characters in the path.

For testing, create a folder named games in in D, so the path reads "D:\Games\" and put any game in there. See if that solves the problem.
The folder name I use is named in Japanese.
D:\エロゲ\洋ゲー\アドベンチャー\CorruptedWorld-0.1.0-pc

I tried to create a "games" folder and start a game there, but it didn't work.
D:\games\CorruptedWorld-0.1.0-pc

いだてん

Jul 22, 2021
In case your D-drive is in NTFS format, then make sure you are the owner of your games folder there OR that "Everyone" has permissions for creating and modifying files and folders if you want to make it accessible to everyone, not just you.

D Drive is in NTFS format
I am the owner of the game folder and the only user using this PC

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
D Drive is in NTFS format
I am the owner of the game folder and the only user using this PC
Just to make sure - when you try to create a new folder or a file in the game folder, Windows won't pop up UAC to ask for administrative permissions? (assuming, you haven't disabled UAC)

A Ren'Py traceback file would be a lot more helfpful, though.

いだてん

Jul 22, 2021
Just to make sure - when you try to create a new folder or a file in the game folder, Windows won't pop up UAC to ask for administrative permissions? (assuming, you haven't disabled UAC)

A Ren'Py traceback file would be a lot more helfpful, though.
I am not required to have administrative authority.
UAC is enabled
Traceback file will not be generated ...

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
What about log.txt file? Could you show us the log.txt from both problematic games after being started on D-drive?

いだてん

Jul 22, 2021
What about log.txt file? Could you show us the log.txt from both problematic games after being started on D-drive?
Normal games generate log.txt, but problematic games do not seem to generate log.txt
All games are extracted in the download folder of C DRIVE and placed in the same folder of D DRIVE.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
If there's no log.txt file at all, then it seems as if you still don't have writing permissions in the folder you put your game into. Ren'Py starts to write a log when it starts, even before anything appears on the screen - assuming that it has a permission to write inside its own main folder. If there is nothing there, then it probably just can't write it.

Show me a screenshot of the same dialog box of the main folder of one of the problematic games, the box that you can see under #6 on the page I linked previously:

And also tell me your windows user name, so I can clearly see that you are indeed listed there and have required permissions.

いだてん

Jul 22, 2021
If there's no log.txt file at all, then it seems as if you still don't have writing permissions in the folder you put your game into. Ren'Py starts to write a log when it starts, even before anything appears on the screen - assuming that it has a permission to write inside its own main folder. If there is nothing there, then it probably just can't write it.

Show me a screenshot of the same dialog box of the main folder of one of the problematic games, the box that you can see under #6 on the page I linked previously:

And also tell me your windows user name, so I can clearly see that you are indeed listed there and have required permissions.
I'm sorry, but it might be difficult to read because the setting language is Japanese.
The owner must be ゆうた(Yuta).

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If there's no log.txt file at all, then it seems as if you still don't have writing permissions in the folder you put your game into. Ren'Py starts to write a log when it starts, even before anything appears on the screen - assuming that it has a permission to write inside its own main folder.
What puzzle me is that, according to what he said, this don't happen to all games he put on this directory. As if the rights were coming from the archive. :/

I'm sorry, but it might be difficult to read because the setting language is Japanese.
It seem that you don't have the same rights for the user than for the system and admin.

いだてん

Jul 22, 2021
Attempted to change user permissions to Full Control
The game seems to work!!
I was the administrator of the PC, so I assumed it didn't matter.
I am embarrassed now...(*‘ω‘ *)
Thank you very much everyone for helping me!!

Reactions: Penfold Mole

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
What puzzle me is that, according to what he said, this don't happen to all games he put on this directory. As if the rights were coming from the archive. :/
Actually, rar-archives and I think 7z also can contain NTFS file permissions. It's not the case this time, though.

It seem that you don't have the same rights for the user than for the system and admin.
I can't read Japanese, but from the looks of it, it also seems as if all existing permissions are being inherited from drive D and nothing has been added to the GAMES folder itself.
At least by default, drives have no user permissions (they can be given to them, though).

So the question is more about how the other games are able to work there, how and where did they get the write permission? Maybe he moved them from drive C? Then the ownership and permissions they had there would stick, I think.

Attempted to change user permissions to Full Control
The game seems to work!!
I was the administrator of the PC, so I assumed it didn't matter.
I am embarrassed now...(*‘ω‘ *)
Thank you very much everyone for helping me!!
Exactly why I asked about permissions and suggested to take ownership of the GAMES folder on D-drive.
By default your user only has the ownership of your windows user profile folder and this is the only place besides the Public folder where you don't need administrative privileges to write anything into.

If you don't want to run games as an administrator (this would be a bad idea, security-wise), then you have to give your windows user full permissions to the games folder. Being in the Administrators group only means that you have rights to act as an administrator temporarily when needed, not that you have administrative privileges attached to you all the time, whatever you do.

It's been like this since Windows NT and Windows 2000, nothing new. :sneaky:

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Actually, Rar-archives and I think 7-Zip also can contain NTFS file permissions. It's not the case this time, though.
Yeah, but there's no reason for the folders, as presented in the archive, to have limited rights.
The dev need to have full rights in order to edit the rpy files, while I don't see PyTom thinking that it could be a good idea to remove the writing right when Ren'Py build the archive.

I would add that I tested the last (official) version of Corrupted World (one of the game that have a problem), both on my D drive, on a USB drive and on a remote drive, and it worked fine.

So the question is more about how the other games are able to work there, how and where did they get the write permission? Maybe he moved them from drive C? Then the permissions they had there would stick, I think.
Corrupted world use the 7.4.7 version of Ren'py, perhaps that in fact the difference isn't at all on the drive rights, but on something introduced during the port to Python 3.x.