Soooo... Can anyone help me with daz and renpy?

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
Hey guys, how is it going? So, I kinda wanna start to create some kinky shit, like a VN but with more interactive stuff. The problem is, uh, im a not a real 3d artist, nor a programmer. I know something about 3d modelling and programming but im struggling with daz a bit. If some good soul could help me learn how to make my bgs and characters i guess i would be fine, at least for my first ever game, right?

Also, its my first post in the forum so sorry if i sound dumb. lol

CedSense

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
Hi there !
First of all, good luck for your game, it will sometimes be quite the struggle, but don't give up if you feel passionate about it !
Concerning Daz, unfortunately I don't really have the time to properly tutor you or something like that, plus I'm not an expert myself, but I can say that there are a lot of tutorials everywhere on the net, Youtube for video, here, Daz official, Deviant Art for more text based. This is the way I did it, plus spending some time just playing with Daz, testing stuff, figuring out the lighting, the render engine etc ...

If you have more specific questions later, I will gladly offer whatever help I can, and I'm sure other people here will also do that, enjoy the grind, it's worth it !

Reactions: Psych0_

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
Hi there !
First of all, good luck for your game, it will sometimes be quite the struggle, but don't give up if you feel passionate about it !
Concerning Daz, unfortunately I don't really have the time to properly tutor you or something like that, plus I'm not an expert myself, but I can say that there are a lot of tutorials everywhere on the net, Youtube for video, here, Daz official, Deviant Art for more text based. This is the way I did it, plus spending some time just playing with Daz, testing stuff, figuring out the lighting, the render engine etc ...

If you have more specific questions later, I will gladly offer whatever help I can, and I'm sure other people here will also do that, enjoy the grind, it's worth it !
Well, turns out that i fried my ancient gpu and now i'm broke and without a gpu, i guess the grind has already begun! XD

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Well, turns out that i fried my ancient gpu and now i'm broke and without a gpu, i guess the grind has already begun! XD
Yeah, that's one problem with Daz - it puts a different kind of load on your GPU as compared to games. Which is detrimental to GPU's that are operating "on the edge." More conservatively built ones (like GTX 1080 Founders Edition) work quite well, however.

As @CedSense said, there are a lot of tutorials on the web for Daz. In addition, Daz has its own forums, and the folks there are REALLY helpful. If you've got questions, I can try to answer them, although I don't know how much "tutoring time" I'd have.

Ren'py is similar - the scripting language is actually quite straightforward, and there are a reasonable number of examples. If you're building a fairly straightforward VN, it's very easy to use. As you try to do trickier things, you can get wrapped around yourself if you don't have a little bit of programming structure. Not that Ren'py's incapable of really excellent work - absolutely the opposite. But, like any other tool, you can use it well or poorly. :)

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
If you've played DDLC (Doki Doki Literature Club) and/or black, you'll see how Renpy can stand on its own. DDLC has soo many tricks in it, it's insane. But black is (to me) a vn done right.

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
Yeah, that's one problem with Daz - it puts a different kind of load on your GPU as compared to games. Which is detrimental to GPU's that are operating "on the edge." More conservatively built ones (like GTX 1080 Founders Edition) work quite well, however.

As @CedSense said, there are a lot of tutorials on the web for Daz. In addition, Daz has its own forums, and the folks there are REALLY helpful. If you've got questions, I can try to answer them, although I don't know how much "tutoring time" I'd have.

Ren'py is similar - the scripting language is actually quite straightforward, and there are a reasonable number of examples. If you're building a fairly straightforward VN, it's very easy to use. As you try to do trickier things, you can get wrapped around yourself if you don't have a little bit of programming structure. Not that Ren'py's incapable of really excellent work - absolutely the opposite. But, like any other tool, you can use it well or poorly. :)
thanks, i'll have to buy a new gpu cuz i fried my old one, so i've put my work on hold a bit, while i can't use daz and ren'py i'll try to fool around with unity a little.

If you've played DDLC (Doki Doki Literature Club) and/or black, you'll see how Renpy can stand on its own. DDLC has soo many tricks in it, it's insane. But black is (to me) a vn done right.
Yeah, i've heard about ddlc, black, however i've never heard of, i'll look into it, thanks!