Others Unity Sprite follow another sprite siluette

ajja

Aug 1, 2018
Hi all!

I'm a game developer with a specialization in shaders (Unity mostly).

I'd like to make my own 2D game in Unity, there are plenty of them out there, but no one has all the features that I'd like to have.

I'm quite a beginner when it comes to 2D, I've been working mostly on 3D games , so, my question is: do anyone know how to create a smooth animation for stripping? For example, let's say there is a female npc laying on a bed. The player will interact with some of her clothes in order to remove them. (They will be all sprites of course)
So I'd like, lets say, a skirt, to follow the legs siluette when being removed.

I hope I explained maysef clearly, sorry for any grammar mistakes.
Thanks for your support, any hints are welcome :)

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
One solution, that I keep seeing being brought up for things like this is . It's an animation tool for 2D sprites, although I've never used it myself.

But, honestly, if your only concern is making a handful of static undress animations, you could probably map your 2D sprite onto a plane grid and hand-animate it using or similar, and I don't believe you'd need to be a 3D wizard to achieve something that looks half decent.

Something like this, I mean:
blender_2d.gif

To me, in the games I've played with this effect, it looks like this is how they do it, sometimes combined with different drawn flip book animation frames.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajja

ajja

Aug 1, 2018
One solution, that I keep seeing being brought up for things like this is . It's an animation tool for 2D sprites, although I've never used it myself.

But, honestly, if your only concern is making a handful of static undress animations, you could probably map your 2D sprite onto a plane grid and hand-animate it using or similar, and I don't believe you'd need to be a 3D wizard to achieve something that looks half decent.

Something like this, I mean:
View attachment 2189067

To me, in the games I've played with this effect, it looks like this is how they do it, sometimes combined with different drawn flip book animation frames.
Thank you, this is an interesting approach! I wonder how to make this totally dynamic. I’ll figure out a way

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
If you choose to go this route, you should look up blend shapes ("shape keys" in Blender). They, in combination with a SkinnedMeshRenderer should give you a slider in Unity that you can control to dynamically go from one shape to the other.

I use them in my game for character deformation (tiddy slider) and it's the same basic idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajja